baseball top 25

VANDERBILT REMAINS ATOP NCBWA POLL[B]DALLAS (NCBWA)[/B] – The [B]National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association[/B] continues its tradition of NCAA Division I polls for the ninth year with its 2007 weekly surveys. Weekly polls will continue from Feb. 5 to June 26, following the NCAA World Series in Omaha, Neb.
The [B]Vanderbilt Commodores[/B] make it four straight weeks in the top spot in the poll, which has representation by 11 different conferences among the 293 baseball-playing schools in the NCAA Division I ranks. The SEC boasts seven teams in the poll to lead all conferences.
NCBWA POLL (MARCH 12)[B]Rk.[/B][B]School[/B][B]Conference[/B][B]Overall[/B][B]Week[/B][B]Pvs.[/B]1.VanderbiltSoutheastern18-04-012.North CarolinaAtlantic Coast15-14-033.Florida StateAtlantic Coast20-03-044.South CarolinaSoutheastern13-23-125.Oregon StatePacific-1017-34-086.ClemsonAtlantic Coast10-43-177.RiceConference USA14-73-198.PepperdineWest Coast15-52-1109.VirginiaAtlantic Coast16-32-2510.TexasBig 1215-73-11111.ArkansasSoutheastern13-53-01512.Cal State FullertonBig West12-80-36t13.AuburnSoutheastern17-24-018t13.KentuckySoutheastern16-04-01715.MississippiSoutheastern13-54-11616.Texas A&MBig 1218-23-12117.Long Beach StateBig West10-52-11918.Oklahoma StateBig 1212-42-12019.Arizona StatePacific-1013-71-21220.Wichita StateMissouri Valley13-43-02321.NebraskaBig 128-53-12222.AlabamaSoutheastern13-61-41323.Coastal CarolinaBig South15-33-12424.ArizonaPacific-1015-62-12525.MiamiAtlantic Coast10-91-41426.Southern MissConference USA12-42-22627.East CarolinaConference USA11-64-0-28.Kansas StateBig 1214-25-0-29.Florida AtlanticSun Belt15-43-1-30.College of CharlestonSouthern13-32-230[B]Others receiving votes (listed alphabetically):[/B] Akron (9-1), Charlotte (14-3), Duke (15-4), LSU (11-7), Louisiana-Lafayette (14-3), Mississippi State (10-2), N.C. State (12-6), Oklahoma (13-5), San Diego (15-9), Southern California (15-9), Stetson (13-6), Texas Tech (15-7), Tulane (12-6), UC Irvine (15-5-1), VMI (12-3), Wake Forest (11-5).

[QUOTE=A-10 bound;224361]I bet that one vote came from Coach Owens of LeMoyne since he has a vote in that poll![/QUOTE]

SInce that was the speculation that I used when this entire thread started…

I think you may be on to something.

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031407aac.html]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031407aac.html[/URL]

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031407aac.html]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031407aac.html[/URL]

awesome news, winning the series with CofC will go a long way. I believe I know who the one vote in the ESPN poll is from, Lemoyne’s coach is a voter.

Couldn’t help but throw this in there:
NCBWA POLL by conference
Southeastern 7, Atlantic Coast 5, Big 12 5, Conference USA 3, Pacific-10 3, Big West 2, Big South 1, Missouri Valley 1, Southern 1, Sun Belt 1, West Coast 1.

do you see the a10? I don’t.

[QUOTE=ninerID;224729]awesome news, winning the series with CofC will go a long way. I believe I know who the one vote in the ESPN poll is from, Lemoyne’s coach is a voter.

Couldn’t help but throw this in there:
NCBWA POLL by conference
Southeastern 7, Atlantic Coast 5, Big 12 5, [B]Conference USA 3[/B], Pacific-10 3, Big West 2, [B]Big South 1[/B], Missouri Valley 1, [B]Southern 1[/B], [B]Sun Belt 1[/B], West Coast 1.

do you see the a10? I don’t.[/QUOTE]

can you believe there are morons out there that question our program the last 10 years in CUSA??? We were a one legged man in a ass kicking contest. Virtually every CUSA baseball stadium was fantastic except for ours and maybe St L. Yet there are people questioning the job Hibbs has done. CUSA has been and still is about the 4th best baseball conference. That is stiff competition…it doesnt matter now. We need to dominate the shitty A10 every year, which I think we will.

the next 3 games are huge, we need to win 2.

16-4

This week we have a game against 3-12 A&T, and then three games at 3-15 st. louis.

Utter chimes in with a blog spot on the impact of the new stadium.

[URL=http://gmine.blogspot.com/]http://gmine.blogspot.com/[/URL]

I can’t see any reason why, with the new stadium (which will be the best college baseball stadium in the nation), we can’t win the College World Series every year from now on. We have the talent and facilities now to do it. I think we have a very good shot to go undefeated for the rest of the season and postseason this year.

[QUOTE=ninerID;225216]16-4

This week we have a game against 3-12 A&T, and then three games at 3-15 st. louis.[/QUOTE]

We cracked the Top 100 of the RPI after yesterday’s win (#94), but even with 4 wins this week we might sink back below that line. Our Iterative Strength Rating is #73, which is similar to other power ratings.

[QUOTE=Green Tinted Glasses;225327]I can’t see any reason why, with the new stadium (which will be the best college baseball stadium in the nation), we can’t win the College World Series every year from now on. We have the talent and facilities now to do it. I think we have a very good shot to go undefeated for the rest of the season and postseason this year.[/QUOTE]

I certainly can’t argue with that. :49ers:

[QUOTE=Green Tinted Glasses;225327]I can’t see any reason why, with the new stadium (which will be the best college baseball stadium in the nation), we can’t win the College World Series every year from now on. We have the talent and facilities now to do it. I think we have a very good shot to go undefeated for the rest of the season and postseason this year.[/QUOTE]

We are a LONG way away from having the talent to compete with the likes of Clemson, FSU, AZ State, Florida, to name a few. While the team is enjoying a nice season, the teams mentioned in the previous sentence are far more established and polished with recruits that wouldn’t give Charlotte a look. I think the stadium is a great thing, don’t get me wrong, but no big time high school recruit is going to want to play in the A-10. C-USA baseball conference, new stadium, then your talking luring huge recruits.

If we can’t dominate the A-10 shame on us. Yes we can play with the teams in the top 25 for a game, but in a 3 game series, I would find it very hard for us to match up with them.

Hopefully we can keep up the success.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;225744]We are a LONG way away from having the talent to compete with the likes of Clemson, FSU, AZ State, Florida, to name a few. While the team is enjoying a nice season, the teams mentioned in the previous sentence are far more established and polished with recruits that wouldn’t give Charlotte a look. I think the stadium is a great thing, don’t get me wrong, but no big time high school recruit is going to want to play in the A-10. C-USA baseball conference, new stadium, then your talking luring huge recruits.

If we can’t dominate the A-10 shame on us. Yes we can play with the teams in the top 25 for a game, but in a 3 game series, I would find it very hard for us to match up with them.

Hopefully we can keep up the success.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight. That’s sort of what I was assuming… that we’re still not where we could be but at least heading in the right direction.

I always appreciate the inside scoop we get from the former baseball players (and others in the know) on this board. It’s nice to have some posters with close ties to the baseball program to keep us up to date with what’s going on.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;225744]We are a LONG way away from having the talent to compete with the likes of Clemson, FSU, AZ State, Florida, to name a few. While the team is enjoying a nice season, the teams mentioned in the previous sentence are far more established and polished with recruits that wouldn’t give Charlotte a look. I think the stadium is a great thing, don’t get me wrong, but no big time high school recruit is going to want to play in the A-10. C-USA baseball conference, new stadium, then your talking luring huge recruits.

Give the guy a break, after all he DOES have on Green Tinted Glasses. :lmao:

Lost to at Saint Louis, apparently it was “Let Bobby Lutz Coach the Baseball Team Day” where we lost to an inferior St. Louis team, at their place, on a last at bat. Got the series though. We go to 19-5, St. Louis improves to 5 -19.

RPI was 74 before today, SLU was 215.

Next up, UMASS (RPI 262) and the new field(partial) !!!

whit,
gotta disagree on part of your statement bud. Conference affiliation doesn’t matter as much in baseball. Wichita, Fullerton, etc play in non BCS type leagues, and manage to be extraordinary programs. The A10 “should” allow us to dominate and get some NCAA automatic births. Hibbs is gonna have to play tough OOC schedules to save his RPI though, in case they lose the A10 tournys.

I think facility is 99% of getting top prospects. Kids (especially local) won’t care about the A10 when they see our new stadium, and hopefully they learn there is an annual tournament with ACC and SEC teams participating (as Hibbs has mentioned he is working on). Remember, baseball is a family affair. There are alot of moms and dads that want to watch their son play within a 100 mile radius, in a pro style park.

I hate to use the W word, but Winthrop has used this philosophy well. They get studs (had some 1st and 2nd round draft pick lately) and been consistently in the top 25. If you haven’t seen that stadium, it will blow your doors off.

I agree at this point today, we are not Omaha material, but the momentum is hot right now on the field and off the field. I think we are going to be better and better- due to the new stadium, and it will give us the chance to sign some of the best players in the southeast.

Not to mention that baseball is a big word-of-mouth sport. This new stadium will give everyone the good time, touchy-feely’s.

People like metro who are big Loren Hibbs fans already were going to support him no matter what … but maybe some other alums not as fond of UNC Charlotte overall will get re-connected with the program now because of this.

More parents will be willing to pass on the good word of the 49ers to other parents … Current players who enjoy playing in the stadium will help recruit other kids from their areas. High school tournaments will flock to the new stadium, which exposes them to our coaching staff, players and our campus. A nice, big stadium is not only a selling point to a high school recruit and his parents, but also to high school and travel team coaches who in turn help sell their kids on where to go to school.

Don’t underestimate the stadium factor.

(Now should it really work that way? I don’t think so, but I think that it does to a degree for baseball. It doens’t work like that all the time thankfully, otherwise as my good friend A-10 Bound tried to argue to me a few days ago, UVa with John Paul Jones Arena should out-recruit every team in the nation because it’s that nice … but that won’t happen. Personally, I wouldn’t really care where I played ball as long as I got some money, had a good time, and got some burn out on the field… but it does matter to some people.)

[URL=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/usatpoll.htm]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/usatpoll.htm[/URL]

Up to 10 votes in the USAToday poll

we’re #37, uh-huh.

We have the 7th best record in the nation!

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;228889]we’re #37, uh-huh.[/QUOTE]

well…3 weeks ago we had ZERO votes
2 weeks ago we had 1 vote
last week I think it jumped to 5 votes?
now its 10 votes…

so its going up slowly but surely.
Its hard to climb real fast when you are beating up on chump soup every week.