baseball top 25

[QUOTE=X-49er;224138]The difference is that they won their conference tourney most of those years and they played a stellar non-conference schedule that boosted their RPI high enough to get an at-large if they needed it otherwise. We did neither last year, and our non-conference schedule is very similar this season to last season’s. Unlike many other things, this is under Hibbs control. Our stadium is not complete, so this would have been the perfect time to go play at South Carolina, Clemson, Coastal Carolina, or any other SEC or southern ACC school. I know they won’t come here. So what. It’s not like we’re going to make a ton of money on the gate. Go play somebody. Home games against the RPI-killers we’ve had are not doing us any good. Our season will basically boil down to winning the A-10 Tourney again, which we will hopefully have a better seed for this year.

We’re #133 in the current RPI standings. With conference play coming up, the best we can hope for is to break the Top 100.[/QUOTE]

x,

1. not gonna argue with alot of that. You obviously are not a Hibbs fan though. I think its not fair to judge him because of his lack of facilities the last 15 years. He has had some bright spots with a terrible place to play.

2. They are playing this year at UNC, Wake, Va Tech, Winthrop, and CC this week, so I think that part of your point is a bit off. I like our OOC schedule this year actually on paper. Some of the better teams we have yet to play: Win, UNC, CC.

3. and I just can’t fault last years team falling apart at the end, they were all freshman and soph. This year’s team needs to get it done, I agree. I think they are going to have 40 wins going into the A10 tourny.

4. your argument on “gate money” is not why they play so many home games. Its the budget. It is costly to go on the road. As of today we do have the 256 worst SOS, which is not good at all.

gill, not sure what poll you are looking at, but this is the one of discussion: [URL=http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2007/poll070305.html]http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2007/poll070305.html[/URL]

it came out a week ago, so I’d expect it to be updated today-Monday sometime. At 14-3, I would think we cracked the top 30.

I will gaurantee you this: Baseball America (a Raleigh company) will be the last to give us respect. They are notorious ACC jocksniffers that worship UNC and State, and always ignored Charlotte baseball…always.

I dont get it, I thought X said we have an RPI of 133? How are we getting votes?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;224146]I dont get it, I thought X said we have an RPI of 133? How are we getting votes?[/QUOTE]
here is an RPI rank:
http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/rpi

RPI and where you are ranked in a poll are not relevant. RPI is a math formula, and polls are opinions of how good you are.

we are getting votes because others think we are pretty darn good and have some talent.

Well, the RPI has to have some effect on their votes though right? I’m sure some of them care about it.

Is it safe to say that the baseball RPI is equally as worthless early in the season as it is for basketball?

[QUOTE=metro;224152]here is an RPI rank:
http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/rpi

RPI and where you are ranked in a poll are not relevant. RPI is a math formula, and polls are opinions of how good you are.

we are getting votes because others think we are pretty darn good and have some talent.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see the Niners getting some love from the voters. A trip to Omaha would do wonders for that bad taste in the mouth we call the 2006-2007 basketball season. A long season ahead before we can think that far into the future.

here is a cool site:
http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/stats

we are 6th in the NCAA giving up 2.8 runs per game.

[QUOTE=metro;224144]x,

1. not gonna argue with alot of that. You obviously are not a Hibbs fan though. I think its not fair to judge him because of his lack of facilities the last 15 years. He has had some bright spots with a terrible place to play. [/QUOTE]

A few, but you’re correct, I’m not the biggest Hibbs fan. I don’t like the way he treats most of his players. I’m not going to get into that aspect, but let’s say I’ve known several former players (all starters) personally.

[QUOTE=metro;224144] 2.They are playing this year at UNC, Wake, Va Tech, Winthrop, and CC this week, so I think that part of your point is a bit off. I like our OOC schedule this year actually on paper. Some of the better teams we have yet to play: Win, UNC, CC. [/QUOTE]

These are all one-game or home-and-home series. While these are what we need more of, they are only 9 games of a 54-game schedule. They don’t make a big dent in terms of RPI boost. I know we can’t control 27 of those games, but for the other 27 we need some beef. If we can afford to go to Campbell, High Point, and Winston-Salem, then we can afford to drive to Columbia, Clemson, and Myrtle Beach. If we can swing the conference trips to Rhode Island and Saint Louis, surely we can get some funds together to go to Tallahassee, Athens, or Atlanta each year. I’m not saying eliminate all non-conference home games for big-time road trips, but we only need about 1 series against JMU, LeMoyne, or Campbell instead of all three. The other 2 need to be at one of the aforementioned places. With our new diggs, maybe we can work more 2-for-1 weekend series’ like we’re doing with CoC, except with maybe Clemson, UNC, or South Carolina.

[QUOTE=metro;224144] 4. your argument on “gate money” is not why they play so many home games. Its the budget. [/QUOTE]

I figured it was about money, just apparantly moreso trying to avoid traveling costs than receiving gate income. Nevertheless, as I said above, unless we’re going to be content pinning our hopes on winning the A-10 Tourney each season we have to schedule better non-conference teams.

[QUOTE=X-49er;224189]A few, but you’re correct, I’m not the biggest Hibbs fan. I don’t like the way he treats most of his players. I’m not going to get into that aspect, but let’s say I’ve known several former players (all starters) personally.

[/QUOTE]

He always was golden to me for 3 years, and as an alum. The thing I like about him is he doesn’t cave. He doesn’t care what you did in high school of how great you “were.” You go to class, and play the way he wants you to play, or there WILL be conflict. If you wanna call your own shots, it won’t be a good mix, you certainly have to be subservient to exist in his program. He certainly has his share of ex players who did not like his style.

Metro,
Again, valid points. Only one spot of contention. After looking into it, last years starting team makeup was 2 sophomores (LF, 1B), 1 freshman (3b), 4 JR’s (CF, RF, C, 2B), 1 Sr. (SS), and the starting rotation was (1 JR., 1 SR., and mix of JR’s and Sophomores, and closer was SR.), relievers were a mixture of all classes…That is a makeup of a team that should be balanced for success down the stretch, especially in the “pathetic A10”.

Not a Hibbs fan here, either. Too much of a knee-jerk approach to his coaching.

[QUOTE=metro;224170]here is a cool site:
http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/stats

we are 6th in the NCAA giving up 2.8 runs per game.[/QUOTE]

My only worry is that our starting arms are throwing too many innings early in the season. Mills 43 IP through 6 starts, 2 complete games. I hope they can hold up down the stretch, specially lefthanded Steedley.

Metro I know you were a pitcher is that a concern at this level?

Great stat. The NCAA doesnt offically start posting individual stats until later in the season when every team has played more than a handful of games but Rochelle is batting .509 through 17 games. THAT IS INSANE and without a doubt in the top 5 in the nation. He was batting .519 heading into Sunday, but stumbled slightly.

CoC is a huge series. Apparently some bad blood between the two teams. Last year CoC went head hunting against the Niners and we blew a nice lead. If you look at the games this season the Niners have been able to win all 17 games they have played. Hibbs wants to win everyone but realizes that is not possible.

[QUOTE=A-10 bound;224199]My only worry is that our starting arms are throwing too many innings early in the season. Mills 43 IP through 6 starts, 2 complete games. I hope they can hold up down the stretch, specially lefthanded Steedley.

Metro I know you were a pitcher is that a concern at this level?
.[/QUOTE]

I thru 125 innings (17 starts) for 3 straight years and never got hurt. Some guys break down after 30 innings, its sort of an individual thing. The thing with Mills is, when you are throwing up ZEROs on the scoreboard, its a bit hard to yank a guy! Most guys, eventually get into some trouble and get taken out (which in effect keeps their innings down) but its very difiicult to yank a guy when he is not getting touched (Mills). What Hibbs will do, is start yanking Mills and Steedley if its 15-3 in the 6/7th inning, when the game is won, that is when you rest key arms and give mop up innings to someone who needs some work. Another factor is age. They will ride a senior more than a soph because most likely their careers have 2 months left. One thing is sure, they don’t abuse arms. I remember begging to throw on 2 days rest so I could pitch the Metro Conference Championship game and they wouldn’t let me.

[QUOTE=metro;224207]I thru 125 innings (17 starts) for 3 straight years and never got hurt. Some guys break down after 30 innings, its sort of an individual thing. The thing with Mills is, when you are throwing up ZEROs on the scoreboard, its a bit hard to yank a guy! Most guys, eventually get into some trouble and get taken out (which in effect keeps their innings down) but its very difiicult to yank a guy when he is not getting touched (Mills). What Hibbs will do, is start yanking Mills and Steedley if its 15-3 in the 6/7th inning, when the game is won, that is when you rest key arms and give mop up innings to someone who needs some work. Another factor is age. They will ride a senior more than a soph because most likely their careers have 2 months left. One thing is sure, they don’t abuse arms. I remember begging to throw on 2 days rest so I could pitch the Metro Conference Championship game and they wouldn’t let me.[/QUOTE]

Hibby is not exactly the best coach when it comes to pulling players when it is 15-3. I remember a game in which McKay threw 142 pitches threw 7 innings, during the 8th we had a 25 minute lightining delay, and John came back out to finish the game. By the way, we were up 9 runs.

Arms are fickled. I threw over 400 innings in high school and another 60 each summer with never a problem what so ever. But every year here I had arm troubles from sophmore year forward. Not just stiffness, but pure pain.

One thing to remember about Mills. He may have alot of innings, but the guy throws alot of strikes, which will reduce the total number of pitches. Pitches matter not so much the innings.

USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 Coaches’ Poll

March 12, 2007

The USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 baseball coaches’ poll, with records through Sunday, total points based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th, ranking in the preseason poll and first-place votes received:

Rank School (first-place votes) Record Points Last week

1 Vanderbilt (22) 18-0 763 1

2 North Carolina (5) 15-1 722 3

3 Florida State (4) 20-0 698 4

4 South Carolina 13-2 680 2

5 Oregon State 17-3 585 8

6 Clemson 10-4 549 7

7 Virginia 16-3 526 5

8 Rice 14-7 505 9

9 Pepperdine 15-5 459 10

10 Texas A&M 18-2 436 16

11 Texas 15-7 410 13

12 Arkansas 13-5 386 12

13 Auburn 17-2 360 17

14 Arizona State 13-7 336 11

15 Cal State Fullerton 12-8 332 6

16 Wichita State 13-4 315 14

17 Kentucky 16-0 259 20

18 Long Beach State 10-5 249 19

19 Mississippi 13-5 209 21

20 Coastal Carolina 15-3 166 25

21 Oklahoma State 12-4 124 24

22 Nebraska 8-5 117 18

23 Miami (Fla.) 10-9 114 15

24 Southern California 15-9 85 NR

25 San Diego 15-9 82 NR

Dropped out: No. 22 Alabama, No. 23 Georgia Tech.

Others receiving votes: Alabama 78, UC-Irvine 59, Arizona 49, Louisiana-Lafayette 44, Oklahoma 38, Southern Mississippi 38, East Carolina 37, Mississippi State 36, Georgia Tech 31, Florida Atlantic 29, Wake Forest 27, Charleston 26, North Carolina State 20, Tulane 18, UCLA 16, Missouri 13, Stetson 11, Stanford 7, TCU 6, UC-Riverside 5, Michigan 3, Minnesota 3, Virginia Tech 3, Winthrop 3, Evansville 2, Hawaii 2, Maryland 2, Baylor 1, Charlotte 1.

USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 Coaches' Poll

March 12, 2007

The USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 baseball coaches’ poll, with records through Sunday, total points based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th, ranking in the preseason poll and first-place votes received:

Rank School (first-place votes) Record Points Last week

1 Vanderbilt (22) 18-0 763 1

2 North Carolina (5) 15-1 722 3

3 Florida State (4) 20-0 698 4

4 South Carolina 13-2 680 2

5 Oregon State 17-3 585 8

6 Clemson 10-4 549 7

7 Virginia 16-3 526 5

8 Rice 14-7 505 9

9 Pepperdine 15-5 459 10

10 Texas A&M 18-2 436 16

11 Texas 15-7 410 13

12 Arkansas 13-5 386 12

13 Auburn 17-2 360 17

14 Arizona State 13-7 336 11

15 Cal State Fullerton 12-8 332 6

16 Wichita State 13-4 315 14

17 Kentucky 16-0 259 20

18 Long Beach State 10-5 249 19

19 Mississippi 13-5 209 21

20 Coastal Carolina 15-3 166 25

21 Oklahoma State 12-4 124 24

22 Nebraska 8-5 117 18

23 Miami (Fla.) 10-9 114 15

24 Southern California 15-9 85 NR

25 San Diego 15-9 82 NR

Dropped out: No. 22 Alabama, No. 23 Georgia Tech.

Others receiving votes: Alabama 78, UC-Irvine 59, Arizona 49, Louisiana-Lafayette 44, Oklahoma 38, Southern Mississippi 38, East Carolina 37, Mississippi State 36, Georgia Tech 31, Florida Atlantic 29, Wake Forest 27, Charleston 26, North Carolina State 20, Tulane 18, UCLA 16, Missouri 13, Stetson 11, Stanford 7, TCU 6, UC-Riverside 5, Michigan 3, Minnesota 3, Virginia Tech 3, Winthrop 3, Evansville 2, Hawaii 2, Maryland 2, Baylor 1, Charlotte 1.

“One vote is better than zero votes,” says the one and only John Madden.

REPRESENT!

gill, not sure what poll you are looking at, but this is the one of discussion: [URL=http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2007/poll070305.html]http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2007/poll070305.html[/URL]

it came out a week ago, so I’d expect it to be updated today-Monday sometime. At 14-3, I would think we cracked the top 30.

I will gaurantee you this: Baseball America (a Raleigh company) will be the last to give us respect. They are notorious ACC jocksniffers that worship UNC and State, and always ignored Charlotte baseball…always.

The one for today has Nebraska at 21 and they are 8-5? I just don’t see this poll as beeing too accurate.

Gotta beat Charleston this Friday…I’ll try to be there.

I bet that one vote came from Coach Owens of LeMoyne since he has a vote in that poll!

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;224336]The one for today has Nebraska at 21 and they are 8-5? I just don’t see this poll as beeing too accurate.[/QUOTE]

central,
you gotta put everything into the equation. They have already beaten Stetson and Alabama, two perenial powerful teams… They could also have a few potential high draft prospects on their team that have not hit their stride yet. There must be good reason…too many coaches are ranking them and voting for them for a reason.

[QUOTE=A-10 bound;224361]I bet that one vote came from Coach Owens of LeMoyne since he has a vote in that poll![/QUOTE]

ya think? lol