BBQ Snob Thread

Rather than derail the football ticket thread, I thought I’d start a new one to address BBQ in light of SC promoting their BBQ trail in the 2014 ticket packages.

IMO, Lexington style BBQ is the best you can get anywhere. That said, there is still good BBQ to be found elsewhere in the southeast and around the country and just because it’s Lexington style doesn’t mean it’s good. The best BBQ is good independent of the sauce and in my book has to have a distinct smoke flavor while still being tender. You’ll find many BBQ restaurants have strayed from the smoke and that’s a serious misgiving. Gary’s BBQ in China Grove used to have good BBQ but they no longer cook with wood and just don’t have good BBQ anymore.

One thing to note about SC BBQ is that it’s not all mustard based. Charleston and Columbia are where you’ll typically find mustard sauces but the rest of the state is usually either tomato or vinegar based. One of the best places to get BBQ in both Carolina’s is at Scott’s BBQ in Hemmingway, SC and they use an Eastern NC style sauce. Not a bad side trip when headed to the beach on Hwy 501. My other favorite SC BBQ spot is Fiery Ron’s Home Team BBQ which has two locations in Charleston.

If you really enjoy BBQ, come check out my fledgling Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RepublicQue.

Just started smoking my own BBQ at home so I’m not reviewing as many restaurants as I used to but I’m looking forward to a trip to Nashville this week and hitting up Jack’s BBQ again in downtown Nashville.

My top 5 Carolina BBQ joints would be as follows:

1. Lexington #1
  2. Stamey’s -Greensboro
  3. Scott’s- Hemmingway, SC
  4. Fiery Ron’s Home Team- Charleston
  5. Twelve Bones- Asheville

Favorite in Charlotte- Midwood Smokehouse
Least Favorite in Charlotte- Bubba’s

I enjoy smoking my own BBQ at the house as well. I pretty much wear out a vertical water smoker every summer. I don’t get to too many BBQ joints outside of charlotte, but I can recommend Rock store in stallings/mint hill and 521 BBQ outside of Waxhaw/Ballantyne.

[quote=“zepandragefan, post:3, topic:28950”]I enjoy smoking my own BBQ at the house as well. I pretty much wear out a vertical water smoker every summer. I don’t get to too many BBQ joints outside of charlotte, but I can recommend Rock store in stallings/mint hill and 521 BBQ outside of Waxhaw/Ballantyne.[/quote] Should you run for office your post will be quoted thusly : “I enjoy smoking my own…joints…”

Bridges in Shelby and ROs in gastonia are two quality joints.

[quote=“ninermike, post:1, topic:28950”]I thought I’d start a new one to address BBQ in light of SC promoting their BBQ trail in the 2014 ticket packages.[/quote]I can’t blame SC for wanting to get a piece of our action. The Charlotte MSA (which contains 3 SC counties) is more than half the population of the state of SC. They are trying to make their pie bigger. At least that is smarter than much of NC which pretends we don’t exist.

I’ll 2nd this.

Bibs Downtown in Winston-Salem is some good eating.

Best hush puppies I’ve ever had. BBQs good too.

clt says the best BBQ in nc or sc is at sonny’s.

There are two Bridges (no relation)in Shelby. Lloyd Bridges off of 74 and Alston Bridges downtown.
Wasn’t a fan of Lloyd’s but Alstons was pretty damn good.
Shelby folks will almost fight over which is better.

Best in Charlotte is at Midwood Smokehouse IMO.

Sauceman’s is also really good.

[quote=“cltniners, post:10, topic:28950”]clt says the best BBQ in nc or sc is at sonny’s.[/quote]clt has been taking hits off the zep’s helium tanks again. Bill Spoon’s is the place to be.

There are two Bridges (no relation)in Shelby. Lloyd Bridges off of 74 and Alston Bridges downtown.
Shelby folks will almost fight over which is better.[/quote]

Red Bridges used to be the stuff. Lately I’ve thought Alston’s was better.

[quote=“Nugget, post:13, topic:28950”][quote=“cltniners, post:10, topic:28950”]clt says the best BBQ in nc or sc is at sonny’s.[/quote]clt has been taking hits off the zep’s helium tanks again. Bill Spoon’s is the place to be.[/quote] 4ever niner declares that clt was being sarcastic. Clt is not that dumb.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:15, topic:28950”][quote=“Nugget, post:13, topic:28950”][quote=“cltniners, post:10, topic:28950”]clt says the best BBQ in nc or sc is at sonny’s.[/quote]clt has been taking hits off the zep’s helium tanks again. Bill Spoon’s is the place to be.[/quote] 4ever niner declares that clt was being sarcastic. Clt is not that dumb.[/quote]I thought that went without saying.

Shelby folks will almost fight over which is better.[/quote]

Alstons is better and cheaper than Lloyd’s. Lloyd’s is marked up bc of it’s location.

When I’m on the road I’m a sucker for smithfields.

My go to place is Lexington BB-Q in Lexington. One of the sons (doesn’t work there but has helped out) is a Charlotte grad. It’s nice when you stop in and they not only have good food but can also talk 49er football with you.

My family’s unofficial motto: De gustibus non est disputandum

BBQ king in Lincolnton is also good stuff. Their tea though is their calling card… that and the cashiers yelling your order.