BBQ Snob Thread

There are two Bridges (no relation)in Shelby. Lloyd Bridges off of 74 and Alston Bridges downtown.
Wasn’t a fan of Lloyd’s but Alstons was pretty damn good.
Shelby folks will almost fight over which is better.[/quote]

I wasn’t about to wade into the debate between Bridges. Men have been killed over less.

There are two Bridges (no relation)in Shelby. Lloyd Bridges off of 74 and Alston Bridges downtown.

I wasn’t about to wade into the debate between Bridges. Men have been killed over less.[/quote]

They are the same way about their Livermush in Shelby, Mack’s vs Jenkin’s, everyone has an opinion about it.

I wasn’t about to wade into the debate between Bridges. Men have been killed over less.[/quote]

They are the same way about their Livermush in Shelby, Mack’s vs Jenkin’s, everyone has an opinion about it.[/quote]

Livermush is freaking gross. That should be the only debate.

They are the same way about their Livermush in Shelby, Mack’s vs Jenkin’s, everyone has an opinion about it.[/quote]

Livermush is freaking gross. That should be the only debate.[/quote]

I love the stuff, but I have been eating it as long as I can remember. The name is pretty awful though.

Livermush is freaking gross. That should be the only debate.[/quote]

I love the stuff, but I have been eating it as long as I can remember. The name is pretty awful though.[/quote]

A Black’s fired livermush sandwich is sounding awesome right now.

Since I grew up in the area, I’ve eaten at all the Lexington BBQ places. None can compare with what our Methodist Men cook at Tyro UMC on Hwy 150. Unfortunately, it’s only done twice a year, generally the weekends before Thanksgiving and Christrmas. The Christmas event is a two day affair. It’s been going on as long as I can remember. At least a 60 year old tradition. I’ll buy anyone a sandwich if you stop by this year and tell me. I’ll be the one in the 49er hat.

Don’t like Lexington style. Too sweet, runny tomato . . yuck. I like Eastern NC the best, vinegar based no sauce, red peppers, cooked over smoke, add a little Texas Pete. I’ve had very good BBQ in Greenville, SC, think it was mustard based, not sure. It was good. I’m in Virginia, BBQ up here is pretty much terrible. I’ve stumbled upon edible BBQ here but it’s an exception. I hear there’s very good in RDU area, have tried a place in Durham, very good. Forgot the name. I’ve had brisket in Fort Worth Texas. OMG. I could be converted, maybe.

Most of the BBQ in Durham is awful, but Backyard BBQ is fantastic.

The Pit in downtown Raleigh is pretty good. B’s in Greenville, NC is pretty good too.

dorm73, why doesn’t VA just copy NC. Can’t be too hard to follow directions.

VA guy here… can confirm, finding good BBQ here is pretty difficuly. Also, don’t even try to order a place’s “NC style BBQ” off the menu. You will be highly disappointed.

Not a big Pit fan, but Ed Mitchell just opened a new spot in Durham after leaving the Pit. I’ve been meaning to check it out.

I lived in Knoxville for 2.5 years and you couldn’t find good BBQ there. Back then it was pretty much Buddy’s which sucked, but they had outstanding hush puppies, so I ordered my meat with no sauce and dressed it with my own bottle of Eastern style I took with me. It was good to move home where people cared enough to smoke their pork over wood.

The Pit in downtown Raleigh is pretty good. B’s in Greenville, NC is pretty good too.[/quote]
Bill’s and Parkers in Wilson, NC has good eastern NC BBQ. I agree that VA BBQ is terrible. I tried it once when I moved up here and haven’t tried it since. Usually get my feel of BBQ when I visit the parents back home.

[quote=“dorm73, post:27, topic:28950”]Don’t like Lexington style. Too sweet, runny tomato . . yuck. I like Eastern NC the best, vinegar based no sauce, red peppers, cooked over smoke, add a little Texas Pete. I’ve had very good BBQ in Greenville, SC, think it was mustard based, not sure. It was good. I’m in Virginia, BBQ up here is pretty much terrible. I’ve stumbled upon edible BBQ here but it’s an exception. I hear there’s very good in RDU area, have tried a place in Durham, very good. Forgot the name. I’ve had brisket in Fort Worth Texas. OMG. I could be converted, maybe.[/quote]While I like Lexington style, there is just something about Eastern, NC bbq that I love. I never get tired of it like I do the tomato based sauces.

Not many options for eastern NC BBQ in Charlotte though. Bill Spoon’s has it and Midwood Smokehouse offers an eastern NC style (that is actually their default style unless you specifically request a tomato based sauce)

Someone from up north once told me the term BBQ is supposed to be a verb and asked why we southerners always use it as a noun. I simply replied that the people using it as a verb have never eaten pork in Lexington, NC.

Jim and Nick’s near Concord Mills is a legitimate BBQ chain and rivals many independents.

It’s true. Since the Holy Ghost never imbued me with that knowledge a priori I thought BBQ was strictly a verb. I was 10.

Fast forward 45 years and I agree Midwood is the best in Charlotte.

clt endorses little pigs BBQ in statesvegas: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/163/962708/restaurant/Hickory/Little-Pigs-Barbecue-Statesville

I’ve gotten to the point I enjoy the BBQ a couple of my friends do more so than most of the BBQ joints in the area… That said, I will also endorse Midwood as the best local place.

I’ve really come to enjoy Texas style more of late. Beef and Links are really good.