BBQ Snob Thread

I will also support Midwood Smokehouse. That and McCoys on Old Pineville are my clear front-runners for the area.

That said, I have a big, 1/4" steel all welded smoker and prefer to do my own BBQ, it’s my favorite hobby.

After spending some time in Texas, I’m glad brisket is finally moving into the mainstream in NC. Rudy’s oak smoked Texas brisket is fantastic.

Prissy Polly’s in Kernersville (on hwy 66 just off business 40). best hushpuppies ever, great eastern and western style bbq. great sides.

its a must stop if you’re in the area.

[quote=“Anborn, post:42, topic:28950”]Prissy Polly’s in Kernersville (on hwy 66 just off business 40). best hushpuppies ever, great eastern and western style bbq. great sides.

its a must stop if you’re in the area.[/quote]Oh man… so good. Was a frequent stop when I interned down the road.

What I really miss is Herlocker’s. It takes 30 years of grease on the walls to replicate their offering and the onion rings put any hush puppy to shame.

My baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jJAdK1Qy-ndkZfU1NUcnJXbVlCYld2RGtTWm1IU0ZBQk1j/edit?usp=sharing

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:45, topic:28950”]My baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jJAdK1Qy-ndkZfU1NUcnJXbVlCYld2RGtTWm1IU0ZBQk1j/edit?usp=sharing[/quote]

Don’t let Hootie see this. He’ll be disgusted that you let your grass get that high.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:41, topic:28950”]I will also support Midwood Smokehouse. That and McCoys on Old Pineville are my clear front-runners for the area.

That said, I have a big, 1/4" steel all welded smoker and prefer to do my own BBQ, it’s my favorite hobby.

After spending some time in Texas, I’m glad brisket is finally moving into the mainstream in NC. Rudy’s oak smoked Texas brisket is fantastic.[/quote]

[quote=“s9er, post:40, topic:28950”]I’ve gotten to the point I enjoy the BBQ a couple of my friends do more so than most of the BBQ joints in the area… That said, I will also endorse Midwood as the best local place.

I’ve really come to enjoy Texas style more of late. Beef and Links are really good. [/quote]

If you guys haven’t already, ask for the Fat Tire BBQ sauce. It’s their best IMO. I get it whenever I’m not in an eastern NC style mood.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:46, topic:28950”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:45, topic:28950”]My baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jJAdK1Qy-ndkZfU1NUcnJXbVlCYld2RGtTWm1IU0ZBQk1j/edit?usp=sharing[/quote]

Don’t let Hootie see this. He’ll be disgusted that you let your grass get that high.[/quote]

I couldn’t open it…

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:45, topic:28950”]My baby:

Since I started smoking my own I find that home cooked is about as good as it gets. BBQ right out of the smoker is the best. Eating lunch at a good BBQ restaurant means you are getting the pork shortly after it’s been cooked. Dinner time is more of a crap shoot.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:46, topic:28950”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:45, topic:28950”]My baby:

Don’t let Hootie see this. He’ll be disgusted that you let your grass get that high.[/quote]

Nice smoker. BTW… The grass looks about the right height to me.

Niner_National, up for Midwoord next Thursday (21st) when I get back?

Amen Nugget

Amen Nugget[/quote]

Herlocker’s maintained a consistent C health grade but we’d still go eat there often. They apparently had an oven that needed to be replaced and for some reason that was knocking their sanitation score way down.

Amen Nugget[/quote]

Herlocker’s maintained a consistent C health grade but we’d still go eat there often. They apparently had an oven that needed to be replaced and for some reason that was knocking their sanitation score way down.[/quote]

They had my all time favorite sauce.

There are two Bridges (no relation)in Shelby. Lloyd Bridges off of 74 and Alston Bridges downtown.
Wasn’t a fan of Lloyd’s but Alstons was pretty damn good.
Shelby folks will almost fight over which is better.[/quote]

I grew up in Cleveland County, and I prefer Alston’s over Lloyd’s, but I have family members who prefer Lloyd’s over Alston’s.

Not a big Pit fan, but Ed Mitchell just opened a new spot in Durham after leaving the Pit. I’ve been meaning to check it out.[/quote]

Ate there tonight, it wasn’t bad, but we did get cold food. They replaced it and took care of the bill, but the bbq and sides were tasty. I just got the standard chopped, and poured Lexington style sauce all over it.

Asheville actually has a couple of really good joints.

12 Bones is most everyone’s favorite- Obama has eaten there a few times and it’s gotten mad press because of it. But if you’re in town or passing through try Okie Dokey Smokehouse in Swannanoa right off I-40 Exit 59. Really, really good

[quote=“hootie, post:57, topic:28950”]Asheville actually has a couple of really good joints.

12 Bones is most everyone’s favorite- Obama has eaten there a few times and it’s gotten mad press because of it. But if you’re in town or passing through try Okie Dokey Smokehouse in Swannanoa right off I-40 Exit 59. Really, really good[/quote]

Personally in Asheville I’m a fan of Ruby’s near Oteen. 12 Bones is good, but I think its a bit overrated (they do baby backs instead of spare ribs, which in my book is a big no-no).

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:58, topic:28950”][quote=“hootie, post:57, topic:28950”]Asheville actually has a couple of really good joints.

12 Bones is most everyone’s favorite- Obama has eaten there a few times and it’s gotten mad press because of it. But if you’re in town or passing through try Okie Dokey Smokehouse in Swannanoa right off I-40 Exit 59. Really, really good[/quote]

Personally in Asheville I’m a fan of Ruby’s near Oteen. 12 Bones is good, but I think its a bit overrated (they do baby backs instead of spare ribs, which in my book is a big no-no).[/quote]

In my book baby backs > spare ribs. Baby backs are a leaner and more tender. 12 Bones cooks with a fruit and hardwoods which gives all of their BBQ a little sweeter smoke than most NC BBQ joints. Good stuff in my book although I wouldn’t put their pulled pork at the top of my list. It’s good but I think their ribs, brisket and poultry are your best choices there. I’ll have to check out Okie Dokey and Ruby’s as I’m in Asheville quite a bit.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:58, topic:28950”][quote=“hootie, post:57, topic:28950”]Asheville actually has a couple of really good joints.

Personally in Asheville I’m a fan of Ruby’s near Oteen. 12 Bones is good, but I think its a bit overrated (they do baby backs instead of spare ribs, which in my book is a big no-no).[/quote]
Good call- Ruby’s is pretty good too. Artemis Pyle of Lynard Skynard has been known to play there from time to time