BBQ Snob Thread

Papa John’s just came out with a Spicy Pulled Pork Pizza. I would try it, but I don’t like stuff that’s too spicy.

clt says another great spot for BBQ is subway.

I’ve had the BBQ Sub at Quizno’s. It is a little wet for a sub, though.

I grew up just outside Lexington. Speedy Lohr’s BBQ (AKA: Arcadia BBQ) and the Honey Monk (AKA: Lexington Barbecue) are the places we frequented. I recommend both.

I grew up in Statesville. We had Little Pigs and Little Pigs Too. We also had Carolina BBQ. They were good.

clt says that jay bees deserves it’s own thread.

I get that I am taking this out of the hush puppy restaurants, but have you had the pulled pork shoulder at Rooster’s? They have an Eastern NC-style sauce that is pretty spicy and delicious. Definitely worth putting on your list of plates to try.

[quote=“Nugget, post:67, topic:28950”]I get that I am taking this out of the hush puppy restaurants, but have you had the pulled pork shoulder at Rooster’s? They have an Eastern NC-style sauce that is pretty spicy and delicious. Definitely worth putting on your list of plates to try.[/quote]Haven’t had that, but Rooster’s is delicious.

clt says that jay bees deserves it’s own thread.[/quote]

I eat at Jaybees when traveling through Statesville. Good hot dogs. Oops… Sorry to get off topic.

Hit Stamey’s in Greensboro for the first time in many years yesterday. Still as good as it ever was and as big an influence on NC BBQ as many Lexington joints. Cobbler is pretty damn good too. Don’t remember the sweet tea being so close to unsweet though. I didn’t mind but not what you expect in a BBQ joint.

Hit the Smoke Joint in Brooklyn last Sunday too. The pulled pork was solid. Have an adjoining bar as well. Definitely a good stop if you are hitting a show at the Barclays Center.

[quote=“ninermike, post:70, topic:28950”]Hit Stamey’s in Greensboro for the first time in many years yesterday. Still as good as it ever was and as big an influence on NC BBQ as many Lexington joints. Cobbler is pretty damn good too. Don’t remember the sweet tea being so close to unsweet though. I didn’t mind but not what you expect in a BBQ joint.

Hit the Smoke Joint in Brooklyn last Sunday too. The pulled pork was solid. Have an adjoining bar as well. Definitely a good stop if you are hitting a show at the Barclays Center.[/quote]

Country BBQ > Stamey’s on High Point road > Stamey’s on battleground

Not a big Pit fan, but Ed Mitchell just opened a new spot in Durham after leaving the Pit. I’ve been meaning to check it out.[/quote]

Ate there tonight, it wasn’t bad, but we did get cold food. They replaced it and took care of the bill, but the bbq and sides were tasty. I just got the standard chopped, and poured Lexington style sauce all over it.[/quote]

I ate at Ed Mitchell’s Que about a week ago and wasn’t impressed…actually disappointed. I was expecting more since he came from the Pit, which I enjoy. I didn’t think it had any smoke flavor and was very bland. Good smoked BBQ doesn’t need much sauce to make it good.

Just for the record, R&R BBQ in Concord off of Pitts School Rd. is not a real BBQ restaurant.

Just like the Germans have laws regarding what you can call beer, North Carolina should have a law regarding what can be called BBQ. If you ain’t using smoke, you should have to call it roasted pork shoulder or something similar. What’s amazing is their menu goes through this big song and dance about how in NC BBQ is a noun and not a verb and then they brag about their 12 hour slow cooked process. If you are going to use gas or electric at least buy a unit that allows you to feed wood chips and create smoke.

http://www.thegreatbbqmap.com/

[font=Helvetica Neue][size=14px]Smoke Modern Barbeque[/size][/font]

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/02/05/smoke-modern-barbeque-already-cooking-up-its.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)

Living in Dallas for a little over two years now I have really been spoiled. The beef brisket in TX is second to none. Any place that wants customers around here has legit smokers. The bark and flavor they get out of those cuts is mind bending.

I do crave a nice NC pulled pork sammich with some slaw and sauce every once in a while though.

Ribs? Ribs are good everywhere. I love ribs.

Oh, the sausage in TX is excellent too, especially places that make their own smoked jalapeno & cheddar sausages.

I actually got so spoiled by the barbecue in Alabama that it took me awhile to get back into NC-style when I moved back. I really liked the mustard-based and white sauces down there. But now that I’m in the Triangle, I’m definitely a devotee of The Pit, and Backyard BBQ on Hwy 55 in Durham is pretty awesome too.

Backyard is miles ahead of the Pit. C’mon son. Ed Mitchell’s is the better version of the Pit in downtown.

Agreed, but I don’t live in Durham anymore so I don’t get to it much. It’s pretty close to work in RTP, so I go for lunch occasionally.

I don’t live in Durham anymore either. :’(