Be careful on Campus

I think the only way one should be able to obtain welfare is if they are down on their luck and were recently put out of work and are having a rough time (but are still trying to get a new job). If you look back on their employment history and they haven’t had a job in years or have never had a job, tell them they’re shit out of luck.

My dads company has people who dont make very much, twice the minimum wage, but still nothing like i made even as an intern. Anyways, they get paid every friday. by Tuesday they are asking my dad for money so that they can eat lunch that day, however they were fully capable of buying a pack of cigarettes that morning and will tell you all about the girls they saw at some redneck club they went to on saturday night. One guy in paticular has a wife that works only thursday nights of every week at serving tables and makes 30 bucks, THIRTY BUCKS A WEEK!!!. Not because she cant work, not because she cant find a job, but because she is a sorry drain on the economy.

For the record these people are white, not black, not mexican. I dont hate a race i hate ignorance and stupidity. Liberals want evolution’s survival of the fittest taught in school, but they dont want act on it.

49or bust, don't apologize. If that's the way you feel, then stick to your guns. You have the right to freedom of speech. Too many people get offended these days.

I’m apologizing to those who may misunderstand me. I dont hate any race, I hate the people who ruin the reputation of their race for everybody else. If I was to use a racial slur, I would be referring to a group of people in a certain race who do what I said. For example, I hate white redneck trash for ruining the reputation of whites in the south. I could go on from there but again, more people may be offended.

Stonecold, I know what ur saying. I can back up what I am saying and not sound rediculous so I should stick to my guns. But I dont have the time to spend fighting off every person who feels I am offensive because they can’t handle reality.

I think if people had to go down to an office to apply for babies, kinda like buying a house, we could make sure no broke asses could be reproducing and putting a drain on our society.

I agree with Gill on this point. I think if you have to have a license, registration and insurance to drive a car, then at least the same requirements should be in place for having kids. The justification for driver’s licenses is that driving is a potentially dangerous activity that requires a certain amount of skill. Rasing kids has an even greater potential impact on society, and is much more difficult than, driving.

and just for the record, id love to see the campus cops patrolling more often, and less engaged in the 2 car get togethers deep in vacant parking lots.

When I was a freshman at UNCC, we saw 2 cops run into each other as they were leaving from a gab session in the parking lot. We all laughed, so one of them decided he needed to come over shine his flashlight in the car to check if we were all wearing our seatbelts.

Also, I saw a CMPD bike cop (not on campus, in town) who was very overweight and sweating like … well, a pig, on a mild day get off of his bike and immediately light up a cigarette. He certainly didn’t look like he was going to take on any gang members.

I agree with Gill on this point. I think if you have to have a license, registration and insurance to drive a car, then at least the same requirements should be in place for having kids. The justification for driver's licenses is that driving is a potentially dangerous activity that requires a certain amount of skill. Rasing kids has an even greater potential impact on society, and is much more difficult than, driving.

Exactly… did you whatch that movie too?

it should be noted however that studies show this is an incredibly rare occurance.

Rare in which sense? When you look at the American Public, then yes, it is probably 1%. Or how about when you look at the 7% (or whatever the unemployment rate is) unemployment rate… then that 1% starts looking very big.

Back in my day, the Robinsdale housing project just off campus was terrorizing Colville I and II. That girl got murdered in Colville I and some punk from Robinsdale got pinned with it. Some student got whacked in the head with a 2 x 4 behind our Colville II apartment (affectionately called the “pit”) in broad daylight. He comes to our bottom floor sliding glass door and knocks on it with his head bleeding like crazy. We call the cops and he gets some stitches. I saw this guy on campus later that year and he said he saw the guy who attacked him and he lived in Robinsdale.

Scattered site housing is a plague on the university area and has been for years.

Rare in which sense? When you look at the American Public, then yes, it is probably 1%. Or how about when you look at the 7% (or whatever the unemployment rate is) unemployment rate... then that 1% starts looking very big.
no, the congressional budget office finds that less than 2% of welfare recipients abuse the system. that wasn't the case before welfare reform in the mid 90's when women would avoid marriage because they'd lose benefits. today, in most states, the women must be single, living alone (or with family), and have children. men are only allowed unemployement assistance which can last no more than a few months and is limited to a few opportunites (they can't get a job, quit and then get back on assistance but so many times.) the system was fairly well reformed in the mid 90's. welfare was taken back to its orginal focus of being support, not a lifestyle, for unmarried women with children.

I ment to post this earlier

[SIZE=4]Consider the results of our welfare system: [/SIZE]
[LIST]
[][B]Illegitimacy[/B]. In 1960 only 5.3 percent of births were out of wedlock. Today nearly 32 percent of births are illegitimate. Among blacks, the illegitimacy rate is over two-thirds. Among whites, it tops 23 percent. There is strong evidence that directly links the availability of welfare with the increase in out-of-wedlock births.
[
][B]Dependence[/B]. Nearly 65 percent of the people on welfare at any given time will be on the program for eight years or longer. Moreover, welfare is increasingly intergenerational. Children raised in families on welfare are seven times more likely to become dependent on welfare than are other children.
[*][B]Crime[/B]. The Maryland NAACP recently concluded that "the ready access to a lifetime of welfare and free social service programs is a major contributory factor to the crime problems we face today.’’ Welfare contributes to crime by destroying family structure and breaking down the bonds of community. Moreover, it contributes to the social marginalization of young black men by making them irrelevant to the family. Their role has been supplanted by the welfare check.[/LIST]
Check it out
[URL=http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-25.html]http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-25.html[/URL]

Just a website I found weeks ago, that I just didnt post. Interesting group this CATO

[QUOTE=Gill2003;184311]I ment to post this earlier

[SIZE=4]Consider the results of our welfare system: [/SIZE]
[LIST]
[][B]Illegitimacy[/B]. In 1960 only 5.3 percent of births were out of wedlock. Today nearly 32 percent of births are illegitimate. Among blacks, the illegitimacy rate is over two-thirds. Among whites, it tops 23 percent. There is strong evidence that directly links the availability of welfare with the increase in out-of-wedlock births.
[
][B]Dependence[/B]. Nearly 65 percent of the people on welfare at any given time will be on the program for eight years or longer. Moreover, welfare is increasingly intergenerational. Children raised in families on welfare are seven times more likely to become dependent on welfare than are other children.
[*][B]Crime[/B]. The Maryland NAACP recently concluded that "the ready access to a lifetime of welfare and free social service programs is a major contributory factor to the crime problems we face today.’’ Welfare contributes to crime by destroying family structure and breaking down the bonds of community. Moreover, it contributes to the social marginalization of young black men by making them irrelevant to the family. Their role has been supplanted by the welfare check.[/LIST]
Check it out
[URL=http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-25.html]http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-25.html[/URL]

Just a website I found weeks ago, that I just didnt post. Interesting group this CATO[/QUOTE]

That is insane…would LOVE to see the strong evidence that states that welfare leads to out of wedlock births…

peoples misunderstanding of “welfare” is a huge problem…take time and educate yourself on a few states with different policies…

It is not the 1980’s anymore…the welfare mother myth is just that…a myth.

[B]There is strong evidence that directly links the availability of welfare with the increase in out-of-wedlock births[/B]

im not sure, but I think they mean that there is more of a chance you get knocked up when you are on welfare maybe? Thats what I originally thought

I ment to post this earlier

[SIZE=4]Consider the results of our welfare system: [/SIZE][LIST]
[]Illegitimacy. In 1960 only 5.3 percent of births were out of wedlock. Today nearly 32 percent of births are illegitimate. Among blacks, the illegitimacy rate is over two-thirds. Among whites, it tops 23 percent. There is strong evidence that directly links the availability of welfare with the increase in out-of-wedlock births.
[
]Dependence. Nearly 65 percent of the people on welfare at any given time will be on the program for eight years or longer. Moreover, welfare is increasingly intergenerational. Children raised in families on welfare are seven times more likely to become dependent on welfare than are other children.
[*]Crime. The Maryland NAACP recently concluded that "the ready access to a lifetime of welfare and free social service programs is a major contributory factor to the crime problems we face today.‘’ Welfare contributes to crime by destroying family structure and breaking down the bonds of community. Moreover, it contributes to the social marginalization of young black men by making them irrelevant to the family. Their role has been supplanted by the welfare check.[/LIST]Check it out
http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb105-25.html

Just a website I found weeks ago, that I just didnt post. Interesting group this CATO

most of the studies used in this assessment came before congress overhauled welfare in the mid 90’s.

yup, 49or is correct. They have an interesting website. [URL=http://www.cato.org]www.cato.org[/URL]

They posted the Chancellor’s Convocation letter [U][URL=http://www.administration.uncc.edu/chancellor/convocation/media/2006AUG15_Convocation.pdf][U]online[/U][/URL][/U]. Here’s one relevant blurb:

[QUOTE]But events over the last year have reminded us that we are
not an island but are, in fact, at the center of a large neighborhood. I have asked our new
campus police chief and director of public safety, Marlene Hall, to take that perspective
as she develops and unveils new initiatives this fall to ensure that every member of the
campus community feels safe and is safe as they enter and leave our campus. We will
also be hiring some professional real estate help to advise us on how the University and
community together can address the deteriorating condition of some of the rental
properties that line our borders.[/QUOTE]

I hope something good can come from the last line of that paragraph.

sounds very good, I would like to see something done. Its very hard to do however, I mean get rid of some of the types of people that require low price housing without making rent too high for college students. BUT I do see an upside if they could get rent to increase, more people would live on campus (if that were cheaper, as of now it is more expensive than living off campus). Then, perhaps new residential dorms would pop up on campus, more students would be on campus, and perhaps the weekend life wouldn’t be so dead. More students living on campus means more students coming to our sporting events… I can imagine a ripple effect

Home invasion off University City Blvd. last night:
[URL=http://www.wsoctv.com/news/9734005/detail.html?rss=char&psp=news]http://www.wsoctv.com/news/9734005/detail.html?rss=char&psp=news[/URL]

[QUOTE=NormanNiner;184293]Back in my day, the Robinsdale housing project just off campus was terrorizing Colville I and II. That girl got murdered in Colville I and some punk from Robinsdale got pinned with it. Some student got whacked in the head with a 2 x 4 behind our Colville II apartment (affectionately called the “pit”) in broad daylight. He comes to our bottom floor sliding glass door and knocks on it with his head bleeding like crazy. We call the cops and he gets some stitches. I saw this guy on campus later that year and he said he saw the guy who attacked him and he lived in Robinsdale.

Scattered site housing is a plague on the university area and has been for years.[/QUOTE]

I lived in Colville II and got robbed at gun point walking home from class one day. The kid ran up right behind me and put a gun in my face. Yes, he was a kid and he lived right there in Robbinsdale. I watched him run off with my wallet right back across the street into his government-sponsored apartment in Robbinsdale. Never caught the little punk!

I just read a story on another forum about someone getting mugged by five thugs at 9:30 last night in the Cone Parking Deck.

How the **** can packs of thugs be roaming campus?! Isn’t it obvious they don’t go to school here and that the’re up to no good!?!?!?!

I just read a story on another forum about someone getting mugged by five thugs at 9:30 last night in the Cone Parking Deck.

How the **** can packs of thugs be roaming campus?! Isn’t it obvious they don’t go to school here and that the’re up to no good!?!?!?!

I guess that would be profiling…