Bernard Sullivan 2011 PF

Okay, SAT question time Bernard.

Which of the following schools is not comparable to the other schools listed when it comes to athletics?

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

Davidson? WTF? I mean, really?[/quote]

Academically its wonderful and it would stamp a ticket to just about any graduate school he wanted to attend (assuming he wants to do so). He’d probably get starting time ASAP too if he’s such a talent. Not to mention its VERY close to home, and right down the road from N.Meck. I get the impression this kid isn’t planning on an NBA career. That or he’s planning to do the smart thing and have a really strong backup plan for if it doesn’t pan out. I don’t blame him for it.

I hope we’re still in the hunt for this one though. Depending on his major we could be a great choice for all of the listed reasons for Davidson - not to mention he has great graduate school opportunities here that he could shoot straight in to (assuming grades suffice) if he wants to pursue that line after basketball. Does he have more of a basketball future at Charlotte though over Davidson? Absolutely.

Which of the following schools is not comparable to the other schools listed when it comes to athletics?

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

Academically its wonderful and it would stamp a ticket to just about any graduate school he wanted to attend (assuming he wants to do so). He’d probably get starting time ASAP too if he’s such a talent. Not to mention its VERY close to home, and right down the road from N.Meck. I get the impression this kid isn’t planning on an NBA career. That or he’s planning to do the smart thing and have a really strong backup plan for if it doesn’t pan out. I don’t blame him for it.

I hope we’re still in the hunt for this one though. Depending on his major we could be a great choice for all of the listed reasons for Davidson - not to mention he has great graduate school opportunities here that he could shoot straight in to (assuming grades suffice) if he wants to pursue that line after basketball. Does he have more of a basketball future at Charlotte though over Davidson? Absolutely.[/quote]

If he’s really that smart and that good of a basketball player, I would look to the Ivy League long before a SoCon school. I’m sure he would have no problem playing basketball, and any of those are a lot better than Favidson.

penn state? really?

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

I hope we’re still in the hunt for this one though. Depending on his major we could be a great choice for all of the listed reasons for Davidson - not to mention he has great graduate school opportunities here that he could shoot straight in to (assuming grades suffice) if he wants to pursue that line after basketball. Does he have more of a basketball future at Charlotte though over Davidson? Absolutely.[/quote]

If he’s really that smart and that good of a basketball player, I would look to the Ivy League long before a SoCon school. I’m sure he would have no problem playing basketball, and any of those are a lot better than Favidson.[/quote]

However, the Ivies do not offer exclusive athletic scholarships.

Really dude? We’ve discussed this once already.

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

If he’s really that smart and that good of a basketball player, I would look to the Ivy League long before a SoCon school. I’m sure he would have no problem playing basketball, and any of those are a lot better than Favidson.[/quote]

However, the Ivies do not offer exclusive athletic scholarships.[/quote]

They don’t call them “athletic” scholarships, but it’s money set aside to lure athletes. They can call it whatever kind of scholarship they want, but if it’s scholarship money only for athletes it’s pretty much an athletic scholarship, no?

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

Really dude? We’ve discussed this once already.[/quote]
i know. it still doesnt make any sense.

Transferring to Davidson Day

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

i know. it still doesnt make any sense.[/quote]

ooooooook

Yeah, I don’t get the Penn State bashing either. Obviously I think he can get a quality education and play in a quality basketball program by coming to Charlotte. But I wouldn’t begrudge a kid if they ended up picking almost any BCS school.

Yeah, I don’t get the Penn State bashing either. Obviously I think he can get a quality education and play in a quality basketball program by coming to Charlotte. But I wouldn’t begrudge a kid if they ended up picking almost any BCS school.[/quote]
im not saying that penn state is a mistake. obviously playing in the big ten is a great thing but this isnt indiana or illinois. i dont mean to bash penn state. i have family who went there but my point is that i dont know why they made the final five for him and we didnt.

a) Virginia
b) Virginia Tech
c) Clemson
d) Penn State
e) Davidson

They don’t call them “athletic” scholarships, but it’s money set aside to lure athletes. They can call it whatever kind of scholarship they want, but if it’s scholarship money only for athletes it’s pretty much an athletic scholarship, no?[/quote]

There are certain academic standards that are held to that. Look at Cornell’s squad last year - ESPN did an interview with them basically about how smart they were. Most of those guys spoke at least 2 languages fluently, and one spoke 7. Really academically smart kids usually aren’t incredibly athletic, or at least the most talented group - hence why it was the first time an Ivy hit the sweet 16 in the last 20-30 years (or something ridiculous like that, I don’t remember to be honest). My point is, unless this kid has insane grades and a really high SAT score I doubt he will get that scholarship money. Even if it is technically allotted for athletes, often that money has some ridiculous standards. Davidson has Athletic scholarship money that is still tied to high academic standards, why wouldn’t a Harvard or Yale who doesn’t have that Athletic money not do the same if not worse?

Maybe he would have the grades - I don’t know him from Adams housecat when it comes to academics. But if he dropped them from his list and Academics are as big a deal as they seem, I doubt he was getting significant funding from them.

Idk I heard that cat is pretty damn smart

They don’t call them “athletic” scholarships, but it’s money set aside to lure athletes. They can call it whatever kind of scholarship they want, but if it’s scholarship money only for athletes it’s pretty much an athletic scholarship, no?[/quote]

There are certain academic standards that are held to that. Look at Cornell’s squad last year - ESPN did an interview with them basically about how smart they were. Most of those guys spoke at least 2 languages fluently, and one spoke 7. Really academically smart kids usually aren’t incredibly athletic, or at least the most talented group - hence why it was the first time an Ivy hit the sweet 16 in the last 20-30 years (or something ridiculous like that, I don’t remember to be honest). My point is, unless this kid has insane grades and a really high SAT score I doubt he will get that scholarship money. Even if it is technically allotted for athletes, often that money has some ridiculous standards. Davidson has Athletic scholarship money that is still tied to high academic standards, why wouldn’t a Harvard or Yale who doesn’t have that Athletic money not do the same if not worse?

Maybe he would have the grades - I don’t know him from Adams housecat when it comes to academics. But if he dropped them from his list and Academics are as big a deal as they seem, I doubt he was getting significant funding from them.[/quote]

The admission requirements for Ivy League athletes are lower than what they are for regular students. Not all athletes need the break, but the admission requirements for an athlete to an Ivy League school are the equivalent to what a normal person would need for a state university. I looked into going to one when I was a high school athlete after my high school coach contacted their coach. I soon found out that if you don’t play basketball or football, you still have to pay half. It was at least $11K+ back then, so know way I even kept that pipe dream when the cost of a perfectly good state school was less than half of that. Basketball players and the top football players get much more “academic” money.

Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Ivy League coaches can, however, help student-athletes gain acceptance with academic qualifications that are much lower than the average applicant. [b]It is important to note that this preferential treatment through the admissions process is not given to all athletes but only to those who a coach is seriously recruiting[/b]. Ivy League schools do have very aggressive financial aid programs so I recommend that families never turn down an opportunity to pursue an Ivy League education until they have reviewed their final financial aid package. Do not be afraid of the sticker price. If you are accepted to an Ivy League school, especially if you have a coach as an ally, they will work with your family to try to make it affordable for you to attend. There are several techniques you can use to help you leverage the negotiation process.[left][/l][/l][/l]

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009/10/20/ask-coach-taylor-do-ivy-league-schools-offer-athletic-scholarships/

Yeah, I don’t get the Penn State bashing either. Obviously I think he can get a quality education and play in a quality basketball program by coming to Charlotte. But I wouldn’t begrudge a kid if they ended up picking almost any BCS school.[/quote]
im not saying that penn state is a mistake. obviously playing in the big ten is a great thing but this isnt indiana or illinois. i dont mean to bash penn state. i have family who went there but my point is that i dont know why they made the final five for him and we didnt.[/quote]

It’s almost like you’re baiting me to bash my own school. And I love your enthusiasm for Charlotte.

you guys oversimplify the bcs vs. non-bcs argument. do we have the resources that a clemson, duke or unc have? no. penn state is notorious for a.) not caring about basketball and i have relatives who went there that will second that and b.) the facilities there are just now being upgraded and have been terrible for years. the coach, in an espn.com article, even said that he used to skip showing recruits his office because it was so embarrasing. im not saying that we should be the dream school for all major talent, no pun intended, but just saying that it makes sense because they are a bcs school is incorrect. i actually have a healthy level of respect for psu basketball, probably because i feel bad because they play in the shadow of the football program. if penn state dedicated it’s resources and efforts towards fielding a quality team then you guys would be right but they do not.

im not saying that penn state is a mistake. obviously playing in the big ten is a great thing but this isnt indiana or illinois. i dont mean to bash penn state. i have family who went there but my point is that i dont know why they made the final five for him and we didnt.[/quote]

It’s almost like you’re baiting me to bash my own school. And I love your enthusiasm for Charlotte.[/quote]

Do you drink heavily before you post? Please say yes.

explain to me how i am wrong.

I think he’s responding to your comment being in the middle of the quote.

yeah, i don’t know why it does that.

Transferring to Davidson Day for his senior season. That’s two guys we are after playing there next year. I’ve been to a couple games there, it’s small. We need to pack that place in the fall decked out in Niner green.

http://www.carolinaweeklynewspapers.com/story/20100618/it’s-official-sullivan-davidson-day

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/11/1492197/sullivan-leaves-north-meck-for.html