Best 49er 3pt Shooter

[QUOTE=jcl49er;167171]And this one is no more competitive if you’ve been watching Niner ball for some time.

Henry in a landslide[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Jobey played with Demon, Rodney, Diego, etc…He got alot of his shots because he was not our only threat…Henry had NO help and still scored at will when he was the only threat on the court. I’m telling you…his shot was PURE. PURE!

Landslide is not a strong enough word.

“If we had 3 pointers in the 70’s, Lew Massey would be toward the top of that list. It seemed he seldom missed from what is now 3 point territory.”

Lew did have a great stroke. He was a little undersized for his position, but he seldom got his shot blocked.

When the outside shot wasn’t working, Massey had a solid inside game too.

He still deserves to have his jersey in the rafters. Without him, there would have been no trips to the NIT or NCAA tournament back then.

#3 - Diego Guevara
#2 - Jobey Thomas
#1 - Henry Williams

When we get Beasley it will be like the Henry Williams and Rodney White teams where we have a solid go to guy in the clutch.

Just shows you how blessed we have been with 3-point shooting.

overall: Henry Williams
range: Brendan Plavich
clutch: Diego
disciplined?: Jobey Thomas

Demon Brown finished in the op 3 his junior year for 3-pointers made and I can’t even find a category for him to be named in.

I’ve seen Henry play more games in person than the others combined, but that was so long ago, and I’m so old that my memory is failing.

Plav was a circus act. He was the most fun to watch. Guy couldn’t have been any taller than me.

Jobey was automatic coming off a screen.

When you’ve got shooters the caliber of Chris Sager and Dee Tolliver riding the pine and barely sniffing playing time, you know that we’ve had some GREAT shooters here, and no shortage of them.

1-Henry - The Man - Landslide win here
2-Jobey - Solid and Dependable every game
3-Diego - Clutch - some of the biggest shots in local history
4-Palvich - Biggest Threat - Teams feared him with his range

Henry and Jobey are also great representatives of the University.

Never saw Henry play…but I’ll take you guys word for it.

I would say…when he was on…Plav was one of the best to watch. It was so much fun…

That game at Syracuse is the stuff of legends…

my favorite 3 point shooter was that drunk dude who kept air ballin while he was trying to win those prizes.

In 91’ I saw UNCC beat UNCW at wilmington. In regulation we were down 3 with 1.5 seconds and Henry got the inbounds pass took a dribble and nailed a 3 from like 30 feet. We went on to win in OT. It was pretty amazing watching him shoot the ball. I thought Jobey was the most consistent from 3 overall though. He only needed a split second to get off a good shot.

I need to make a revision.

Henry is the BEST (by far) 3pt shooter ever to play for the Niners…

But the best 3pt shooters ever at the school would be a different story. The X-Press had 3-4 guys that could flat out light it up.

So Henry’s landslide victory is ONLY if you consider 49er Lettermen. It’s a lot closer of a vote if we include basketball playing students and the roster of the X-Press!!! (circa 1992)

Jobey was the best catch-and-release 3pt shooter. I never got to see Henry play, so I can’t attest to his ability.

“In 91’ I saw UNCC beat UNCW at wilmington. In regulation we were down 3 with 1.5 seconds and Henry got the inbounds pass took a dribble and nailed a 3 from like 30 feet. We went on to win in OT. It was pretty amazing watching him shoot the ball. I thought Jobey was the most consistent from 3 overall though. He only needed a split second to get off a good shot.”

Actually the shot that sent it into overtime was a three pointer by Delano Johnson. I think UNCW was worried about Henry and Delano surprised them when he took the shot.

We had just moved into the top 25 a few games before that and UNCW was gunning for us.

Henry Williams, and I played against him in the gym as well as watched him live many times. BTW, I shut him down the 1st pick up game. That’s right. Shut him down.

2nd game, he lit me up. That’s right. Lit me up. (I believe someone told him I had actually guarded him the 1st game…don’t think he had noticed.)

I have never seen someone jump so high on a jumpshot. It seemed the same whether he was coming off a pic or whether he was set.

I need to make a revision.

Henry is the BEST (by far) 3pt shooter ever to play for the Niners…

But the best 3pt shooters ever at the school would be a different story. The X-Press had 3-4 guys that could flat out light it up.

So Henry’s landslide victory is ONLY if you consider 49er Lettermen. It’s a lot closer of a vote if we include basketball playing students and the roster of the X-Press!!! (circa 1992)

‘DOBA’, to steal a Ktown quote

what’s X-Press? is it an intramural team or something?

[QUOTE=Sideshow;167332]what’s X-Press? is it an intramural team or something?[/QUOTE]

WOW.

The X-Press was only the most dominant intramural team of the 90’s era!

Avg margin of victory of 32pts
All-Campus Champions
NO big men…ALL shooters
3 words: Total Domination

Amazing to watch…frightening to play (Just ask the team All The Way Down, losing 103-37)!

" High Flyin’ " Henry would get my vote any day.

WOW.

The X-Press was only the most dominant intramural team of the 90’s era!

Avg margin of victory of 32pts
All-Campus Champions
NO big men…ALL shooters
3 words: Total Domination

Amazing to watch…frightening to play (Just ask the team All The Way Down, losing 103-37)!

I thought you guys were in the B-Bracket…

moss2k

[QUOTE=J Felt;167345]I thought you guys were in the B-Bracket…[/QUOTE]

B-League in the early '90’s was the top Non-Fraternity League.

The A-League was a point based Fraternity league. Frats earned points based on final rankings in each sport to determine a year-long Fraternity Champion (based on total points earned in all intramural sports).

BTW, What makes you think I actually played for the X-Press?

They were the most feared intramural team on campus. Athletic…run & gun squad that could shoot lights out…literally. Fun to watch. Averaged 82pts per game (with a continuous clock!).

I thought you guys.......

Don’t let Ktown trick you into thinking he was part of that team. I saw the Xpress play. They were that good. Tallest guy could not have been much over 6’2" if I remember correctly. While waiting for our game, I saw them play a team who had a couple of 6’6" guys and an overall good team. Not only did they shoot them out of the gym, but they owned the boards.

Besides, can you imagine KTOWN being able to play any sport? Next thing you will tell me is that Jimmyhat made it past the 2nd grade. C’mon Felt, a little common sense.

(Jimmy, we still boys)