Best Albums of 2009 ... Running Thread

[QUOTE=Powerbait;378579]No, I said if you’re gonna be a snob, don’t jockey a mainstream band.

Do I need to dumb my posts down for you?[/QUOTE]

While you’re calling me dumb, how bout a proofread?

Not calling you dumb, but you do seem to have a hard time with reading comprehension.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;378456]fixed.

311 writes their own music. They have their own studio, in which they record their own music.

Mandy Moore… comes from a music factory.[/QUOTE]

AND THEY BOTH SUCK!!!

fixed.

311 writes their own music. They have their own studio, in which they record their own music.

Mandy Moore… comes from a music factory.

I don’t want to wade through all this, but Mandy Moore writes her own music now. It’s sort of coffee-house folk rock. If anything, she’s exploring her own new sound at the expense of her financial success (both in terms of album sales and in terms of having to switch to The Firm) while 311 are, if what I’ve heard about the new album is true and it may not be, going back to the sound that got them attention in the first place.

And, for the record, 311’s cover of “Lovesong” is easily in the top 5 worst covers of the last 30 years, narrowly losing out to Melissa Joan Hart’s cover of “One Way or Another.”

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;378709]I don’t want to wade through all this, but Mandy Moore writes her own music now. It’s sort of coffee-house folk rock. If anything, she’s exploring her own new sound at the expense of her financial success (both in terms of album sales and in terms of having to switch to The Firm) while 311 are, if what I’ve heard about the new album is true and it may not be, going back to the sound that got them attention in the first place.

And, for the record, 311’s cover of “Lovesong” is easily in the top 5 worst covers of the last 30 years, narrowly losing out to Melissa Joan Hart’s cover of “One Way or Another.”[/QUOTE]

If that’s the case, then I’ll give her a listen.

As far as “Love Song” it’s not a terrible cover it’s not good, at all, by any means… However, it’s in my bottom five as far as 311 songs go. Not their worst (Waiting for You… that is a terrible… terrible… TERRIBLE song) but definitely not a favorite.

Back on the subject, the new A.C. Newman albums is pretty good, and I am excited for the new Neko Case album as well…

In the gloom of what happened yesterday, I got some good news today. Go ahead, Niner Nation… groan as I say that:

311’s new album will be released [B]mid-late April[/B].

This year they will be going on three… yes, three… THREE tours… Spring tour, Unity Tour 2009 throughout the summer, then a fall/winter tour.

I’m STOKED!

note: any non-311-haters want to road trip to any shows within a few hours drive? I want to hit 3+ shows this year.

I know this is way behind the curve, but I really like VAMPIRE WEEKEND. I think the Afropop influence is great. Another band worth checking out is Asheville’s TOUBAB KREWE.

WOOT!!

[SIZE=1]PleaseBeGood
PleaseBeGood
PleaseBeGood[/SIZE]

I know this is way behind the curve, but I really like VAMPIRE WEEKEND. I think the Afropop influence is great. Another band worth checking out is Asheville's TOUBAB KREWE.

Vampire Weekend is great. That is all.

[QUOTE=GtfoMyPorch;377753]The new Animal Collective is probably going to be my number 1 of the year.[/QUOTE]
The more I listen to this one, the more I like it. I hope something even better comes out this year, but I could definitely see this being my #1, it’s already better than anything I heard last year.

Derek Trucks Album is awesome...

I’m actually going to meet the Derek Trucks Band on Monday. What kind of music are they?

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;381452]I’m actually going to meet the Derek Trucks Band on Monday. What kind of music are they?[/QUOTE]

Really, where? Can I come? :shades:

I would say they are blues-rock, with some soul, jazz, and world influences. Derek Trucks is one of the best slide guitar players you’ll ever see. He used to play with the Allman Brothers and toured with Clapton a few years ago.

http://www.derektrucks.com/

There are some good clips on youtube.

Really, where? Can I come? :shades:

I would say they are blues-rock, with some soul, jazz, and world influences. Derek Trucks is one of the best slide guitar players you’ll ever see. He used to play with the Allman Brothers and toured with Clapton a few years ago.

http://www.derektrucks.com/

There are some good clips on youtube.

They’re going to be in studio at John Boy and Billy, where I work. So, I don’t think you can come. Comedian John Reep is gonna be in studio next week too. So that is pretty cool. He won last comic standing a couple years ago.

John Boy and Billy are still on the radio? Huh, I haven’t heard about them in years. What time will Derek Trucks be on? I’ll have to tune in.

John Boy and Billy are still on the radio? Huh, I haven't heard about them in years. What time will Derek Trucks be on? I'll have to tune in.

Yeah, they’ve been on for 28 years. I’m not sure what time they’ll be on, but I’ll try to find out for you.

Found a new group today while watching MTVU. They released an album about 2 weeks ago that ive been listening to a bit of.

Matt and Kim - Grand.

Just two people, Matt(vocals, keyboard) and what I believe is his girlfriend, Kim (drums, vocals)

[QUOTE]Found a new group today while watching MTVU. They released an album about 2 weeks ago that ive been listening to a bit of.

Matt and Kim - Grand.

Just two people, Matt(vocals, keyboard) and what I believe is his girlfriend, Kim (drums, vocals)[/QUOTE]

kinda of infectious, Matt and Kim. Check out “Yeah Yeah” from a bit back.

I’ll throw out Beirut. Has a new one just out. Really dig Zach Condon’s old stuff, so I’m hoping this double EP (doesn’t that make a regular album??) is as good.

Uplifter will be the name of the new 311 album. Release date unknown at this time, but they’ve finished recording.

Niner baseball+new 311 music+warm weather=is it spring yet?

John Boy and Billy are still on the radio? Huh, I haven't heard about them in years. What time will Derek Trucks be on? I'll have to tune in.

They were not at the show yesterday. I’ve just been informed they will be on sometime between 9-10 on Friday and they will be performing Live in the studio! Pretty sweet if you ask me.