Big South wants Charlotte badly

I personally donā€™t see anything wrong with Big South for football. All the universities are close by. A-10 doesnā€™t seem like too much competition in football.

Good post with good logic. Add me to the list that does not want to jeopardize basketball in any way. My first choice is CAA football only. If that wonā€™t work then the Big South for football only is ok.

Good post with good logic. Add me to the list that does not want to jeopardize basketball in any way. My first choice is CAA football only. If that wonā€™t work then the Big South for football only is ok.[/quote]

Having this Big South football only strengthens our hand with the CAA. I like it.

I get the feeling there are two conversations going on here. Some are talking about Big South for all sports and others for football only. I was talking about football only since that is what is mentioned in the article. Some of you are comparing the A10 which doesnā€™t even have football.

I just reread all the posts and it looks like most of us (including me) prefer FOOTBALL ONLY in the CAA but will take FOOTBALL ONLY in the Big South. I donā€™t know why anyone would want to play basketball in the Big South.

Maybe we need a poll.

I donā€™t think the CAA has said anything about not wanting us as a football only member, only their fans, unless someone can prove me wrong. Judy has been on the record many times saying we will NOT be leaving the Atlantic 10 in the slightest while we start football. I would settle for Big South football, they have far more teams within driving distance than the CAA but the CAA does produce national champions, either way i hope weā€™re not in either for long.

Just thought id do a review of a possible new conference. Using schools with stated interest, or expansion of football stadiums beyond 25,000, these are FCS schools wanting to move up: Charlotte, Delaware, James Madison, App, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State, Liberty, UMASS, Kennesaw State (assuming they start football). Now throw in 3 other potentials in ODU, Ga State and VCU. That is a potential 12 team conference. From that list realistically there are 6 schools that seriously want to be FBS. Ive been reading articles and blogs and every other piece of sports fandom for a few weeks now. My overrall opinion of the future conference landscape is this however:
BIG EAST- is expanding and it WONT be with us, eventually they will have 12 football teams and it will be TCU, Nova, Temple and a CUSA team as the addtions. Assuming the NCAA will not allow them to play a championship game with 10, if so TCU and NOVA will be the additions and Temple if Nova decides no go.
CAA- seems several teams want to shift, say Delaware, NOVA and Madison do move up, and Rhody, Maine and UNH relocate to NEC, that leaves 6 teams in the CAAā€¦2 of which would be A10 schools, if that scenerio shakes out we would wind up in the CAA, or the A10 may even decide to sponsor football again, if that happened i say send Fordham packin to the Patriot league and add ODU as a full member, as for football: Charlotte, Richmond, ODU, UMASS, William and Mary, Towson, Georgia State, and eventually Kennesaw if and when they get football, for 8 teams, if VCU were to ever start football, adding them as a full member wouldnt be bad especially if Saint Louis goes to the Valley, in all (granted this is like 2015-2018 at the earliest) the A10 would have 14 schools and 9 foobtall teams.
CUSA- is unlikely to lose someone to BCS at this point, but expansion may be likely adding UTSA in the West and Charlotte in the East gaining the San Antonio and Charlotte markets and becoming a 14 team league. So my overrall opinion is this: the simple thing for us right now is to stay A10 and join CAA for football, however CUSA in my previous stated scenerio would also be a simple move pending how badly we want to be FBS. But I do believe the landscape is going to change drastically over the next decade, so this may be fun to talk about but there is know way of knowing where this school will be come 2020. My belief is in an expanded CUSA, that may include new members UTSA, Charlotteā€¦and even Delaware, JMU, Montana, App, JSU and Liberty, which in all irony would be a conference covering the USA (for the most part).

Paragraphs dude - paragraphs!

my head exploded after the 3rd sentence, but i digress, iā€™ve been drinking.

[quote=ā€œcharlotteguy88, post:67, topic:24249ā€] Just thought id do a review of a possible new conference. Using schools with stated interest, or expansion of football stadiums beyond 25,000, these are FCS schools wanting to move up: Charlotte, Delaware, James Madison, App, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State, Liberty, UMASS, Kennesaw State (assuming they start football). Now throw in 3 other potentials in ODU, Ga State and VCU. That is a potential 12 team conference. From that list realistically there are 6 schools that seriously want to be FBS. Ive been reading articles and blogs and every other piece of sports fandom for a few weeks now. My overrall opinion of the future conference landscape is this however:
BIG EAST- is expanding and it WONT be with us, eventually they will have 12 football teams and it will be TCU, Nova, Temple and a CUSA team as the addtions. Assuming the NCAA will not allow them to play a championship game with 10, if so TCU and NOVA will be the additions and Temple if Nova decides no go.
CAA- seems several teams want to shift, say Delaware, NOVA and Madison do move up, and Rhody, Maine and UNH relocate to NEC, that leaves 6 teams in the CAAā€¦2 of which would be A10 schools, if that scenerio shakes out we would wind up in the CAA, or the A10 may even decide to sponsor football again, if that happened i say send Fordham packin to the Patriot league and add ODU as a full member, as for football: Charlotte, Richmond, ODU, UMASS, William and Mary, Towson, Georgia State, and eventually Kennesaw if and when they get football, for 8 teams, if VCU were to ever start football, adding them as a full member wouldnt be bad especially if Saint Louis goes to the Valley, in all (granted this is like 2015-2018 at the earliest) the A10 would have 14 schools and 9 foobtall teams.
CUSA- is unlikely to lose someone to BCS at this point, but expansion may be likely adding UTSA in the West and Charlotte in the East gaining the San Antonio and Charlotte markets and becoming a 14 team league. So my overrall opinion is this: the simple thing for us right now is to stay A10 and join CAA for football, however CUSA in my previous stated scenerio would also be a simple move pending how badly we want to be FBS. But I do believe the landscape is going to change drastically over the next decade, so this may be fun to talk about but there is know way of knowing where this school will be come 2020. My belief is in an expanded CUSA, that may include new members UTSA, Charlotteā€¦and even Delaware, JMU, Montana, App, JSU and Liberty, which in all irony would be a conference covering the USA (for the most part).[/quote]
Fixed it lol

Iā€™m not sure what all you are saying, but it sounds like you want us to be in the same conference as Texas-San Antonio, Montana, and Liberty.

NFW

YFW

[quote=ā€œcharlotteguy88, post:67, topic:24249ā€] Just thought id do a review of a possible new conference. Using schools with stated interest, or expansion of football stadiums beyond 25,000, these are FCS schools wanting to move up: Charlotte, Delaware, James Madison, App, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville State, Liberty, UMASS, Kennesaw State (assuming they start football). Now throw in 3 other potentials in ODU, Ga State and VCU. That is a potential 12 team conference. From that list realistically there are 6 schools that seriously want to be FBS. Ive been reading articles and blogs and every other piece of sports fandom for a few weeks now. My overrall opinion of the future conference landscape is this however:
CUSA- is unlikely to lose someone to BCS at this point, but expansion may be likely adding UTSA in the West and Charlotte in the East gaining the San Antonio and Charlotte markets and becoming a 14 team league. So my overrall opinion is this: the simple thing for us right now is to stay A10 and join CAA for football, however CUSA in my previous stated scenerio would also be a simple move pending how badly we want to be FBS. But I do believe the landscape is going to change drastically over the next decade, so this may be fun to talk about but there is know way of knowing where this school will be come 2020. My belief is in an expanded CUSA, that may include new members UTSA, Charlotteā€¦and even Delaware, JMU, Montana, App, JSU and Liberty, which in all irony would be a conference covering the USA (for the most part).[/quote]

The Sun Belt looks like a GOOD option compared to the Towson, Kennesaw, Delaware, and Georgia State conference options. JMU and ODU would be okay, but the others are no better than the teams in the Sun Belt. Richmond has no plans to go D1. They donā€™t have the funds. UMass wants to move up, but they have funding issues also. The Big East is getting ready to take two potential conference members that we would want for a new league.

If we canā€™t get in CUSA, we need to help form a quality up-and-coming league that has teams with a history of good basketball. UMass and ODU are good ones to go in with. Whoever is leftover after the Big East expands would be other. I can live with UCF and ECU for that conference because they would be great for football, though traditionally they bring little to the table for basketball. Unless the A10 door closes on us with the Big 3 exiting for greener pastures, I would rather stay FCS until we get an agreement in place for a good conference to transition to at the D1 level.

I wasnt stating what i wanted for usā€¦i was just stating how the landscape is shaping upā€¦here let me put it into one sentence: we are not the only ones that want to move to FBS sometime within the next decade but other schools have a big head start when it comes to football programs, and thus will be chosen over us most likely. Personally I want us to be Big East but since that is unlikely I would like A10/CAA until we can join a quality FBS conference, whatever that may be.

ODU and UMass are the only startup/moveup programs that are as appealing as us as far as their athletic programs are concerned. Charlotte is a in a larger market, though. Your assumption here I would accept as valid, in that they will be ready a few years before us and a good conference would want them.

As far as the others go, Georgia State has a great media market, but little else. Kennesaw, Towson, and Delaware bring little to the bargaining table. I would think a quality conference would rather wait on a program of our potential rather than add one of them because they are readily available.

Thisā€¦ we are a sleeping giant. While I understand the point of view that we will have to wait decades to land in a big conference, I also think it is entirely possible for it to happen in rapid fashion. The right major conference could have a major impact on the attention this school gets and that makes our market attractive. Not saying that it is going to happen - just to ignore that possibility is not wise. Also it should be considered the impact an SEC and/or ACC expansion could have with the overall impact to us.

Watched some of the VMI at Gardner-Webb football game on TV today. Looked like a poorly attended HS game. Sad but true. I hope (pray? me?) that our games will not be so pathetically attended, but not everyone that attended/attends Charlotte are the fanatics we are around here. I hope we can win some early, get some borderline fans on board and at least avoid looking so sad as the scene at GW today. That game and many others like it should NOT even be on TV.

Not sure where this game was played but VMI is the third smallest school in FCS in enrollment (1500 - only Presbyterian and Wofford are smaller), and has a good percentage of its alumni (serving military officers) out of the state of Virginia. Gardner-Webb isnā€™t much larger with 4000 (alot online only). Their alumni bases are much smaller and much more spread out than ours.

I feel the Big South is a terrible place to play any longer than 3 years at the max. Everyone should be excited just to have a team the first few years (see early Charlotte Hornets) but after that no one is going to give a rip to see Stony Brook or Presbyterian football come to town. Delaware, Villanova, and UMass, arenā€™t SEC schools but they certainly will have more of a draw than the Big South. We need to be on our knees begging and arm twisting the CAA to let us in football only. If not we need to do the Big South thing and then be ASAP our knees begging and arm twisting CUSA to let us in football only.

Thisā€¦ we are a sleeping giant. While I understand the point of view that we will have to wait decades to land in a big conference, I also think it is entirely possible for it to happen in rapid fashion. The right major conference could have a major impact on the attention this school gets and that makes our market attractive. Not saying that it is going to happen - just to ignore that possibility is not wise. Also it should be considered the impact an SEC and/or ACC expansion could have with the overall impact to us.[/quote]