Big South wants Charlotte badly

caa football only
big south football only
caa all sports
socon all sports

i don’t think we should sacrifice any basketball integrity.

[quote=“cltniners, post:34, topic:24249”]clt daps the observer for picking up this story first.

clt is glad he didn’t have to read this from a newspaper in another state.

f u mike p.[/quote]

:o

Agree with freedomunique and LakeNorman49er.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:38, topic:24249”]Its very hard to schedule games, that’s why they created conferences in the first place. We have 3 choices:

CAA ALL sports
CAA football only
SoCon ALL sports
Big South football only

Rank them how you feel.[/quote]

1. Big South football only (if we are going to be FCS short term; 6 years or less)
    1a) CAA football only (if we are going to be FCS long-term; 7+ years)
  • the other two options should not be considered unless we want to kill basketball

Can we switch to the CAA, SoCon or Big South in all sports EXCEPT basketball. The A-10 sucks in most other sports too.

I really don’t see how CAA would kill basketball?

It may not be as strong as the A10, but it certainly isn’t a death sentence that some would like to make it out to be.

Only option out of those I would not take is Socon for all sports.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:46, topic:24249”]I really don’t see how CAA would kill basketball?

It may not be as strong as the A10, but it certainly isn’t a death sentence that some would like to make it out to be.[/quote]

It’s a 1-bid league most of the time. The A-10 is a 2-3 bid league. CAA would be better than SoCon, but neither is as good an option as the A10 currently is.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:17, topic:24249”]How would we “limit” ourselves with recruiting. Coastal has recruited NFL talent in the Big South.[/quote] :confused: :confused:

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:46, topic:24249”]I really don’t see how CAA would kill basketball?

It may not be as strong as the A10, but it certainly isn’t a death sentence that some would like to make it out to be.[/quote]

Its a bigger jump down from the A10 than it was from CUSA to A10, it would NOT go over well.

4 NFL players currently in the NFL who all played together. Yea, roll your eyes, do whatever you want, but that’s saying something. Not only that, but I think 3 have started, and Tolbert is putting up big numbers this year. We’re not getting in the Big East off the get go and the Big South is a solid solution for everyone. For everyone who complains about A10 distance now, the CAA wouldn’t be much different with the closest programs being in Atlanta and Richmond.

4 NFL players currently in the NFL who all played together. Yea, roll your eyes, do whatever you want, but that’s saying something. Not only that, but I think 3 have started, and Tolbert is putting up big numbers this year. We’re not getting in the Big East off the get go and the Big South is a solid solution for everyone. For everyone who complains about A10 distance now, the CAA wouldn’t be much different with the closest programs being in Atlanta and Richmond.[/quote]JMU, William and Mary, Richmond, ODU, and Ga. State are all relatively easy drives.

The CAA is much better than the A10 travelability.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:50, topic:24249”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:46, topic:24249”]I really don’t see how CAA would kill basketball?

Its a bigger jump down from the A10 than it was from CUSA to A10, it would NOT go over well.[/quote]
outrageously false…CUSA to A10 is much worse than going to CAA now.

CAA and A10 are on equal footing athletically- sans Xavier

[quote=“jobeydiego, post:53, topic:24249”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:50, topic:24249”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:46, topic:24249”]I really don’t see how CAA would kill basketball?

Its a bigger jump down from the A10 than it was from CUSA to A10, it would NOT go over well.[/quote]
outrageously false…CUSA to A10 is much worse than going to CAA now.

CAA and A10 are on equal footing athletically- sans Xavier[/quote]I’d say Xavier and Temple. Temple’s success in the tournament hasn’t been great lately, but they get there more consistently than anyone in the CAA. The rest of the two leagues are fairly comparable.

I think everybody here would prefer going to the CAA over the Big South for football only, but if the CAA doesn’t want to give us the partial membership for football only then the Big South might be the only conference alternative we have for partial membership.

I know that the A10 was ranked 7th last year and the CAA 13th in basketball. Seems like a steep cliff to me.

What I like is that the Big South is the first with anyone on record pitching us as a football only member. I think it is a great option. In my opinion, they are the second best option to the CAA. I don’t think the CAA will take us as football only. I like the location of the Big South schools. Some of the competition there is good. If we are really only staying for a while, I say go Big South (assuming CAA won’t have us FO).

This. And we can add some SoCon and MEAC schools to give us local road games, too. We can always play the CAA teams non-con, as well.

[font=verdana]The difference between the ~7th best conference and the ~10th best conference is huge, it’s not just a matter of a few RPI points or whatever. Yes, the A10 has a disgustingly low cellar, but Temple, Dayton, and Xavier are nationally recognized names, and the middle of the pack is much stronger than the middle of the CAA. I have absolutely no interest in playing Delaware, Drexel, Towson, James Madison… I really honestly do not care, and I don’t care how lackluster we have been over the past 5 years either or that this isn’t the old CUSA, the Lutz years are over, Major is going to bring us success again. We packed the house against Temple last year and we always pack the house against Xavier. Dayton can bring as many games as some ACC teams. How long will it take the general public (and our fans) to warm up to potential rivalries with ODU or GA St?[/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]It might be a good football conference, but it is still FCS. Unless we turn out to be the next App State, which is highly unlikely, fcs football will not bring in the $, coverage, and respect that I want for us. The worst potential possibility, in my mind, would be for us to be perennially stuck playing FCS football in a 1-2 bid basketball conference. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=12px]I think we are capable of much more than that.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]1) whatever fcs conference allows us the best possibility of going FBS quickest while greatly increasing our fanbase/revenues.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]2) all sports to ANY conference that is worse than A10 in basketball and is not a good FBS opportunity[/size][/font]

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:59, topic:24249”][font=verdana]The difference between the ~7th best conference and the ~10th best conference is huge, it’s not just a matter of a few RPI points or whatever. Yes, the A10 has a disgustingly low cellar, but Temple, Dayton, and Xavier are nationally recognized names, and the middle of the pack is much stronger than the middle of the CAA. I have absolutely no interest in playing Delaware, Drexel, Towson, James Madison… I really honestly do not care, and I don’t care how lackluster we have been over the past 5 years either or that this isn’t the old CUSA, the Lutz years are over, Major is going to bring us success again. We packed the house against Temple last year and we always pack the house against Xavier. Dayton can bring as many games as some ACC teams. How long will it take the general public (and our fans) to warm up to potential rivalries with ODU or GA St?[/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]It might be a good football conference, but it is still FCS. Unless we turn out to be the next App State, which is highly unlikely, fcs football will not bring in the $, coverage, and respect that I want for us. The worst potential possibility, in my mind, would be for us to be perennially stuck playing FCS football in a 1-2 bid basketball conference. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=12px]I think we are capable of much more than that.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]1) whatever fcs conference allows us the best possibility of going FBS quickest while greatly increasing our fanbase/revenues.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=12px]2) all sports to ANY conference that is worse than A10 in basketball and is not a good FBS opportunity[/size][/font][/quote]

Nice post…NOOOOOOOOOOO to the Big South for ANYTHING. No to the CAA for ANYTHING other than football…not now, not ever…