Blue Lot Purchases 2019

I was a part of a focus group to review the potential and eventual changes to the 49er Club levels last spring.

We mentioned the need to make the environment around the stadium better. I also made a similar suggestion of door to door golf cart service to free up spots around the stadium. I also suggested shifting to filling lots via points vs donor levels.

They are trying to find the magic formula of getting atmosphere better while being respectful and appreciative of the large donors.

I’m not sure where it will land but making passes available for single game and having me bring the party up to the stadium for the first game are signs that they are trying and testing things.

6 Likes

We could just put a “Will you be tailgating this year” question as part of season ticket renewal. Then the Gold Donors that don’t want to can have premium spaces in CRI deck and shuttle service to the stadium.

1 Like

The ring around the stadium does seem reasonably busy on gamedays. What percent of people there would you guys say are actively tailgating? Half? From a quick count on Google, it looks like there are just shy of 200 parking spots in the horseshoe with the little extra part over at Duke.

I think the shuttle idea would free up some spots. Maybe take 20 or 30 spots and make them “once a season” kind of things lower level fans can sign up and be selected for. Your big dogs that want to tailgate still get the benefit of their donation, but your lesser guys like me in the “Forty Niner” level can get in once a year. And you can bet during our “once a year,” we’ll do the tailgate up bigger than usual.

I am hesitant to post this, but I thought it might be helpful to give you another perspective. I am in the Gold Lot, so you can figure out that I give $5000 or more per year to Athletics. My donation is equal to 50 or more $100 donors, and I have been at this level for many years. While I readily agree that the Gold Lot is not rocking, the program cannot put those 50 $100 donors in my one space to make the game day atmosphere better. Younger donors there would make it more fun, but taking away this perk from people in that lot is going to make many of us question once again why we write those checks. If you lose one Gold Lot donor, do you think that the 49er Club is going to be able to find 50 new $100 donors to replace them? History tells us no.

I think Healy Ball is going to make it more fun to tailgate for “my people”. I think many Gold Lot folks bought Gold FSLs ($2500/seat), buy the tickets, give the donation, and then go do other more fun things on Saturdays. It it crazy and wasteful, but it is a big part of what makes our machine run. Winning will change that for many people in the lot. I don’t think Healy Ball is going to give smaller donors a chance to get those better spots, but it should make that lot atmosphere better. One other thing, this gives people that don’t give $5000 yet a reason to step up. You need incentives.

2 Likes

I think the issue is that many of those spots are empty on game day, or used by donors as a parking spot and show up close to kickoff time.

It’s certainly a delicate balance to keep those high-level donors happy, but at the same time maximizing lot usage and creating an infectious game day atmosphere. I think, as mentioned, a way to create a concierge level parking area for these high-level donors who don’t tailgate could be a great option. They park and are then driven directly to the drop-off location at Jerry Richardson Stadium, perhaps a special entrance at the field house so they have quicker access to get into the stadium itself and avoid the queue of entering through standard gates.

This won’t happen but this site is a future development for additional buildings. I would love if they put a massive rectangular lot somewhere in this vicinity in the meantime. Could be used during the school year for parking revenue. The removal of the black lot was a big blow. It’s easier said than done, but I think we need a big open lot close to the stadium.

I suppose they could but the school has made a big push to not build new surface lots. I’d be willing to bet you’d see a deck there if any parking. Hill would have to fight a lot of other University organs to get a surface lot, even not permanent, built there.

Just for reference:

https://masterplan.uncc.edu/sites/masterplan.uncc.edu/files/media/UNCC-2010MasterPlan-FullReport_Revised-2011_04April27.pdf

It’s not set in stone, but they do have a parking deck shown in that general location.

Stauff

1 Like

I agree with Nugget’s comments above

I tailgate in the Gold lot as well. We generally have 40-50 people at our tailgate, only a few of which park in the Gold Lot. Feel free to come by the Mobile Mine Shaft anytime.

I think it would be awesome to have a large tailgate lot in the area you have identified, however, I think the early college and the IPF will likely go there.

I wonder if it would be possible for a group like the Normbulance to pool their donations to get a couple of Gold Lot spots. It would be awesome to have you guys there for every game.

1 Like

Walked by you guys the other day. I was hoping that person was on this board.

This one is better

Stauff2

Thanks! Good points…That def looks like a parking deck. I’m not a fan of parking lots either but for the sake of tailgating I can accept it lol. At least I know we have leadership who will listen to the fans and work out the best possible solution.

OT: but, the last “master plan” was 2010. How often is that redone?

I think the one from before was initiated in 1995 and updated in 2000. Not 100% on the dates though. For what it’s worth the 2000 one had Toby Creek turned into a pretty large lake (pre CRI) so take these as a wish list, not definite set in stone plans.

My crew is willing to talk and some of us qualify for that lot or others up around there but we are trying to keep our group together. We also don’t want to pool under one donor because then individuals lose their rankings for things like basketball. I think we can find a solution that helps everyone. When I came up to the stadium we brought a crowd of 100 folks and the football staff told me personally how much that excited the team and made a difference. We can and should find a good balance between the large donors and the younger alums that bring a hype atmosphere. We also have a bunch of corporate ticket holders who don’t use their spots or tailgate.

IMO they need to ask those not tailgating if they are ok with door to door service.
Open up 25-50 or so lots in the gold area and put a price on those spots separate from donor level.

Yes, just ask during renewal if you plan to tailgate and filter the parking choices respectively.

If you don’t want to tailgate park in a deck and let a tailgater have your spot. It’s what’s best for the program.

Makes sense. Hopefully it can get worked out.

I would suspect a new master plan will be put together after the new chancellor comes on board.

I imagine work is already (or constantly) being done on it, but you are right that things might change that the new Chancellor will want to put their stamp on before release.

Nu$$et

The early college next to CRI Deck is being moved to that location currently. A permanent building, not trailers stacked next to each other.