Bobby Lutz:Is he still on Charlotte's payroll?

Not everyone in the private sector gets canned for a bad deal, not when most of their other work results in much success. Throw in, by comparison, this private sector person also is responsible for a very smooth and thus-far successful implementation of a company’s largest and most revenue generating department.

Please extract your heads from your ass-holes. This forum goes round and round on Judy’s overall job as AD. One bad deal does not a bad AD make.[/quote]

It is too soon to say football is on a path to success, or will generate much money; although, I am hopeful it will be. The success thus far is more a result of the CFI than Judy Rose. It is intriguing to see a passive AD receive a lot of credit for this, especially given that she hasn’t sold the naming rights to the stadium yet and we are 13 days away from the spring game. Marketing for football has also been quite weak thus far.

The company’s largest and most revenue generating department currently is men’s basketball, which has been unsuccessful and seeing less and less contributions and attendance over the last 8 years… all aspects on a negative decline.

If we were a good ole’ boys small business, she’d be fine. If we were an aspiring enterprise, the egregious mistakes would have her in very hot water.

Has she done good things in the past? Absolutely. Halton Arena is impressive, the contributions to the immaterial sports is impressive, but from an aspect of selling the core of the company she has been mediocre to poor.[/quote] Any weakness of Rose’s is more than compensated for by the awesomely positive support of our fans, like you for example.

If we had more fans that were capable of more mature discourse than that, perhaps we would be further along, as well.

If we had more fans that were capable of more mature discourse than that, perhaps we would be further along, as well.[/quote] Oh, mature discourse is waaay over rated. If you didn’t like what I said, you’d really hate what I was thinking. :smiley:

I’ve been meaning to ask Judy about some of this stuff when I see her at a baseball game, but I have not seen her at a game this year (or last year, come to think of it).

what does judy make a year? bobby lutz salary should be deducted from her check or she should work for free to make it up. only fair since she gave the extension and then fired him the next year. does she have a split personality?

As a matter of tact I’d recommend sending her an email or give her a phone call. Approaching her at a sporting event would be classless.

Why would that be classless?

Why would that be classless?[/quote]

::slight_smile: yeah what? She’s a public figure for the university and get’s paid by our tax dollars… if you can’t go up to her and talk about 49er athletics who can you?

$250,000 is the latest number I can find.

$250,000 is the latest number I can find.[/quote]

Is this from the state employee database? If so, I believe that only covers the state-provided salary. I’m not sure if Athletic Directors receive the same sort of added pay that coaches receive, but that could bump her much higher.

Is this from the state employee database? If so, I believe that only covers the state-provided salary. I’m not sure if Athletic Directors receive the same sort of added pay that coaches receive, but that could bump her much higher.[/quote]

Is this from the state employee database? If so, I believe that only covers the state-provided salary. I’m not sure if Athletic Directors receive the same sort of added pay that coaches receive, but that could bump her much higher.[/quote]I think AD bonuses are tied more to classroom performance than on field/court performance. I could be wrong though.

Is this from the state employee database? If so, I believe that only covers the state-provided salary. I’m not sure if Athletic Directors receive the same sort of added pay that coaches receive, but that could bump her much higher.[/quote]I think AD bonuses are tied more to classroom performance than on field/court performance. I could be wrong though.[/quote]

Should be tied to growing donor base. But then she wouldn’t be making much money.

Was this the sole decision of the AD to extend? I think this job opens itself up to outside influences that the public are not aware of. Understand Bobby was a fellow alum and was one of our best coaches that had demonstrated success. I’m sure he had some supporters with deep pockets calling Judy. I would think that being an AD means you have to find a balance between what you think is best and what the donors think is best.

Was this the sole decision of the AD to extend? I think this job opens itself up to outside influences that the public are not aware of. Understand Bobby was a fellow alum and was one of our best coaches that had demonstrated success. I’m sure he had some supporters with deep pockets calling Judy. I would think that being an AD means you have to find a balance between what you think is best and what the donors think is best.[/quote]

It’s not as easy a job as some would like you to believe (no that doesn’t mean Judy is above criticism). I imagine a decision to fire a coach at our highest profile athletic program comes down to more the just what Judy wants.

Was this the sole decision of the AD to extend? I think this job opens itself up to outside influences that the public are not aware of. Understand Bobby was a fellow alum and was one of our best coaches that had demonstrated success. I’m sure he had some supporters with deep pockets calling Judy. I would think that being an AD means you have to find a balance between what you think is best and what the donors think is best.[/quote]

It’s not as easy a job as some would like you to believe (no that doesn’t mean Judy is above criticism). I imagine a decision to fire a coach at our highest profile athletic program comes down to more the just what Judy wants.[/quote]

No doubt. CHP was involved with the Bobby deals.

I agree NWA. If I remember correctly during the press conference announcing Lutz being released Phil owned up to being the one behind extending Lutz contract. Maybe I will see if I can dig up the footage from the press conference.

[b]Q: There has been a lot of talk about Lutz's performance over the past five seasons, but after the first two, he was given a contract extension. Doesn't that show that someone thought he was doing a good job?[/b] [b]Dubois:[/b] I take full responsibility for the contract extension. At that time the year before Bobby went down and looked at the job at South Alabama and there was some uncertainty as to whether we would offer a contract. I think we really wanted because of his longevity and his past record here to give him every benefit of the doubt. In fact, we put in a number of provisions in his contract that I think will serve us well in recruiting a new coach. I take responsibility for it. You will have a hard time getting me to say anything negative about Bobby as an individual or even as a coach. We looked at the record the last five years, we've gone to the NIT twice and we've not gone three times and that by definition says you're out of the top 97 teams and maybe more than that. With the investment we've made in basketball, we have to be better than that.
[url=http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/03/q-with-judy-rose-and-dr-philip-dubois.html]http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/03/q-with-judy-rose-and-dr-philip-dubois.html[/url]

Thanks EMF. Here is the whole video. http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=363433&SPID=44799&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=204908661

Interesting to go back and watch/listen to the presser. Wonder how they feel they’ve done with their selection of Major to this point as far as “achieving stated goals” and the criteria that the Chancellor listed.