Bowl Projection for Charlotte 49ers

I worry that might negatively impact recruiting. ā€œYou might not get to play in a bowl even if youā€™re bowl eligibleā€ canā€™t be a great sales pitch.

Just trying to be realistic. Not sure playing in a bowl in LA the day after Christmas and possibly getting beat by 25 would boost recruiting much more than just finishing at .500 and improving. If we beat Marshall and have a chance for a local bowl then yes would be huge.

This person is a troll. Has to be.

We went from ā€œHealy was a bad hireā€ to ā€œmaking a bowl isnā€™t good for our programā€.

This is an app fan or something. Gotta be.

Making a bowl gives the team extra practice time which is beneficial in preparing for next season. Even getting beat down in a bowl is better than sitting at home.

3 Likes

And players get a ton of swag. Like a ton.

4 Likes

I want Charlotte vs UNC in the Belk Bowl. That matchup would probably be a sellout.

5 Likes

This always kills me. Student athletes canā€™t work or take money per the NCAA but they are allowed gifts from a bowl sponsor.

We need as many of the below to happen to increase our chances of the Belk Bowl. If one happens the door cracks open, but it gets wider with each time one of the below occurs.

• Two SEC teams make the CPF
  • Mississippi St doesnā€™t make a bowl (need Ole Miss to beat them)
  • Kentucky doesnā€™t bowl eligible (need Vandy and Louisville to beat them)
    -UT doesnā€™t get bowl eligible (need Missouri and Vandy to beat them)
  • Us getting to 7-5 would help

Just stopā€¦

The last team local hotels, bars and restaurants want in the Belk Bowl is Charlotte. Locals will not be patronizing these places and they will lose a shitload of money. Theyā€™re probably already lobbying to make sure we are not picked even if we qualify.

Fuck them, they donā€™t support us otherwise.

2 Likes

We have some negative nancyā€™s on this board.

I hate to break it to yā€™all, but most fans donā€™t stay in hotels and frequent the bars for the belk bowl.

Itā€™s not a big enough bowl for people to travel too much. Thatā€™s why they more often than not put a regional team in it.

3 Likes

We have a ton of out of town alums, Iā€™m local but may get a hotel room just to make a day of it. I guarantee you hotels/bars would make more money inviting us instead of a Temple etc.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be happy we go bowling either wayā€¦huge for the direction of the program. But Iā€™m struggling with what Iā€™d rather us have a chance to doā€¦

Seems to meā€¦a typical CUSA level bowl will be against someone we can most certainly compete against and have a chance to winā€¦albeit farther away and harder to travel to.

The Belk Bowl would be very nice to be close to go toā€¦and higher profileā€¦but also thereā€™s a more than reasonable possibility of us getting pasted by a mid level ACC or SEC team. And yesā€¦a mid-level ACC/SEC should be better than the FAU/FIU/WKU level teams that have beaten us rather soundly already this year.

Iā€™d almost rather miss out on the Belk Bowl and have our first bowl be somewhere against someone we can beat.

I think itā€™s better for the program to compete/win a bowl gameā€¦than it is to be blown apart in a higher profile bowl.

Nowā€¦obvioulsy beating that mid level ACC/SEC team in a higher profile bowl would be HUGEā€¦and program defining but I donā€™t think thatā€™s very realistic at this point with all of our injuries and our depth issues.

Iā€™m OK with the safe playā€¦a bowl baby-step and having a realistic chance to beat a Sunbelt/MAC team in some far away wasteland well before January.

Orā€¦is a program defining opportunity to good to pass up and worth the risk of embarrassment??

*Just realized how freaking cool it is that I even consider this a quandry!! Having a good football team is pretty damn cool!

Playing the belk bowl, regardless of who it is against and the outcome would be massive for this program. We have asked for years for this city to look at us and playing in that game makes us undeniable and would go a LONG way it selling the local 80k local alums on buying into the program.

The local hotels and restaurants donā€™t have any say in who gets invited. The Belk Bowl wants to sell tickets. And we have a historical opportunity with our first bowl and a large population that would likely jump on. If you are thinking the city and our alums wonā€™t jump on board then you havenā€™t see ln the 77 run or our late 90s run.

With that said any bowl is going to be huge, but we need it to be a close enough bowl we can get a decent crowd to. A big part of bowl invites is can your fanbase travel. I donā€™t want us getting a reputation of not traveling starting with our first bowl.

Now letā€™s go win two more and go bowling.

6 Likes

Caught me

IMO, Losing in Belk Bowl better than winning a bowl game 1k miles away against lower tier team.

But we may as well win the Belk bowl so win win.

3 Likes

The amount of good that would come from making The Belk Bowl much less winning it is impossible to overstate. It could be a program defining and changing event and there may not be another opportunity to play in this game for a decade.

I donā€™t want us to get too disappointed if we donā€™t get it because so much has to break our way, but as of now it is. All, and I mean all efforts need to be made to getting in this bowl. If it happens itā€™s all hands in deck, we need any and every Niner there, a win and a huge turnout by our fans could launch us.

2 Likes

Is the belk bowl really realistic?? We would be one of the lower CUSA teams. I just donā€™t think they would give it to us even with 7 wins.

1 Like

Winning is always better than losing.