Bracketology - 2/24 (UPDATED)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

It appears we still are in the Next Four Out, with a legitimate possibility of sneaking into the Tourney.

In the updated version we’re nowhere to be found, I wouldn’t place much on it though, a win over GW gets us right back in it.

Here are some other sites: http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/exclusives/projectingtheseeds , www.bracketography.com , www.msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5350894 ,

[QUOTE=beasley25;155822]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

It appears we still are in the Next Four Out, with a legitimate possibility of sneaking into the Tourney.[/QUOTE]

…when monkeys fly out of my arse. We’re not SNIFFING NCAAs unless we win out in Cincinnati.

we might still have a chance

well if the team holds up to their end of it i’ll see about getting those monkeys

We have to win the A-10 tourney to make it in the big dance.Our RPI is 100 as of today.That won’t cut it with the selection committee.It’s pretty much win out in Cincy or hello NIT.

16-9
2nd Place in A-10
100th in the RPI
123 SOS

1-2 vs RPI top 50
3-2 vs RPI top 100
8-5 vs RPI top 200
4-0 vs RPI 200+

It’s pretty much a tale of two teams. We sucked OOC and have been strong in conference. We’ve lost to a ton of teams early in the season that we are better than. However all is not lost. Our upcoming schedule has St. Louis (95), GW (33), as well as potential tourney games against LaSalle (99) and other top 50 RPI teams. If we can win out the regular season, that will change us to 2-2 vs RPI top 50, as well as a winning record against the RPI top 100. Further that should drop our RPI down and as close as things are that could send us in the mid 80s to low 90s. A win or two in the tourney against a top 100 and top 50 RPI would probably bring us right at the 80 threshhold. It would be a very very close call.

Best thing we can do now is win the conference tourney and take the decision away from the selection committee and pray that some of these Bubble teams go down hard.

Why are people mad about having a chance to get in???

Because they dont want to be disapointed, but they refuse to be optimistic!

We have always played crappy OOC. The difference is we are in a crappy league and no matter how well we do in conference play we will not be able to get our RPI very high. In the past we could stumble early and redeem ourselves with tough league wins. That is no longer the case… beating A10 teams is nothing to brag about and will not get us into the tourney unless we win the conference tourney IMHO.

The site I use for Power Rating has charlotte at 90

[B]90. [URL=http://teamrankings.com/ncb/nccpower.php3?q=Charlotte+Basketball]Charlotte[/URL] (16-9)[/B]81.00-10-14-3

[QUOTE=BPfor3;155836]Why are people mad about having a chance to get in???[/QUOTE]

I know it seems that way, but I doubt they will really be disappointed if we do get in. A few egos may be hurt though.

In another thread someone posted they did not want to get in and then get blown out.

To quote Shakespeare:

“Tis better to have played in NCAA and lost than to never have played in NCAA at all”.

:smile:

GW has a 22-1 record,but they are ranked #33 in the RPI.That tells you something about the A-10 this year.

No team has ever received an at large berth with an RPI of 75 or higher.Pretty much if you are outside the top 50 you are in serious trouble.I’d love for the Niners to get an at large bid,but with an RPI of 100 that is pretty much impossible.They must win the conference tourney to get in the big dance.

[QUOTE=K-Town-Niner;155844]
No team has ever received an at large berth with an RPI of 75 or higher…[/QUOTE]

Well now’s a good time for it to happen. We can make history.

Of course, if we win out until the tourney finals, our rpi should be better.

It’s nice to be able to at least discuss this, because if we lose another one the discussion may be over with.

well, its obvious we can’t lose from here on out. We MUST beat GW both more times.

Anyone else notice that there are 5 North Carolina teams in the projected field of 64 and Charlotte or Wake Forest is not one of them!

IM not saying ethier one of those teams deserve to get in because we dont but its just a little odd.

Basically is someone told me at the beginning of the year 5 teams from Carolina would get in I would have said Duke, Wake, State, Charlotte, and Davidson (win conferernce).

Just some trivia:

The lowest rated team in the RPI to get an at large bid was #74 New Mexico in 1999.

Air Force made the field in 2004 with an RPI of #70.

[QUOTE=K-Town-Niner;155854]Just some trivia:

The lowest rated team in the RPI to get an at large bid was #75 CHARLOTTE in 2006.

[/QUOTE]

FIXED.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

[QUOTE=BPfor3;155836]Why are people mad about having a chance to get in???[/QUOTE]

That’s a good question. As over 40 stated, I think it’s a defense to prevent further dissappointment. I understand that, as I too live and die with the niners. However, it is much more fun for me to believe we have a chance. It ain’t over to the …

It’s simply being realistic. Even if we DO beat GW two more times, their RPI is only 33, so it’s not going to skyrocket us or anything. We have to win the A-10 Tournament, and I hope we do, but getting an at-large bid at this point is at best a stretch, and more realistically, a pipe dream.

Why are people mad about having a chance to get in??????????????????

I’ve skimmed some but I don’t recall reading any post where someone stated they didn’t want to get in. What I’ve read (and even stated) is that based on the known criteria the selection committee uses, along with historical trends, our team is probably not deserving of a bid. I’d love nothing more than to see us get an at-large bid but if the committee remains consistent with previous years, it’s not really logical to assume we could get in.

Now with that said, how many Selection Sundays have there been where we’ve seen some teams completely robbed of an at-large birth and some who get in who leaves even their own fans in pleasant disbelief? I’d enjoy being one of the latter but I’m not gonna be suprised if we win out, reach the A-10 finals and still play in the NIT. Hope that’s not the case because I have very little interest in the “other” tournament that no one, including some of the teams playing in it, really cares about.