Bracketology - 2/24 (UPDATED)

Great post Bob and Ed. At this point, the regular season has no impact on us from here on out. Even if we went 20-9 or 17-12, it doesn’t matter, though winning is nice. Plain and simple, we have to “earn” our way in. 22-10 and a loss in the A10 final won’t get you there.

[QUOTE=max;156659]22-10 and a loss in the A10 final won’t get you there.[/QUOTE]

There is simply no way you can can make such a definite statement. There are too many variables for us to know. If it happens, we’ll see how the other chips fall. Again, they have to take 65, including 34 at large.

NinerAdvocate, we have NO quality wins and an RPI in the high 90’s … are 7-6 out of conference…we lost to the worst team in the ACC. Combine that with 10 losses and how can you see it any other way?

[QUOTE=max;156665]NinerAdvocate, we have NO quality wins and an RPI in the high 90’s … are 7-6 out of conference…we lost to the worst team in the ACC. Combine that with 10 losses and how can you see it any other way?[/QUOTE]

We arent 22-10 either. What’s your point?

NinerAdvocate, we have NO quality wins and an RPI in the high 90's ... are 7-6 out of conference......we lost to the worst team in the ACC. Combine that with 10 losses and how can you see it any other way?

None of that turns me off nearly as much as us having no quality wins. Hell, earlier in the season we were hanging our hat on Rutgers which isn’t very impressive right now. Should we lose to GW (once or twice), then our resume will be the weakest I can remember it being for any season where there was bubble talk.

I agree with NA in regards to a lack of options for the committe this year. Any other year, the thought of an at-large for us right now would be laughable. I still kind of feel it is IMO but I just don’t know where the committee is gonna find 34 legitimate teams. We could backdoor in solely because of that. And if we get in, I think we could win a game or two with the parity that will exist in this field of 64.

Personally, I’d just like to get past Saint Louis first or this discussion is a waste of time. I really hope our guys don’t look ahead to GW because Saint Louis’ style of play could be a headache for us tomorrow. I like our chances but I still always cringe at the thought of playing them.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9250844

they also have the A-10 as a 1 bid conference…

“We arent 22-10 either. What’s your point?” -NinerAdvocate

I didn’t think it was that difficult to understand my point. I said it doesn’t matter how good our record is…ie: 22-10, whatever…we don’t make the NCAA unless we earn our way in by winning the conf. tourney. I hope this helps you better understand what I said. Have a nice day.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;156604]News Flash, A-10 is not a major conference, and this answer is easy. When you have no wins against teams that will get in the tournament, then that looks bad also. OOC schedule sucked for us, and In conference we have a bad loss to Richmond and two home losses to Xavier and St. Joes. We haven’t protected our home court losses to Valpo, Miss St., (You get the point). If we win out and don’t win the conference tournament this year then we will be OUT. I’m not about to sound stupid and say if we make it to the tournament finals, then we are in. Sorry, but it won’t happen. The NCAA Committee isn’t afraid of giving the A-10 one bid, just look @ last year.[/QUOTE]

News flash…the a-10 IS a major conference…power conference??? No…

but a major conference is a no brainer.

The Memphis Invitational, I mean National Invitational Tournament can be fun. If the Niners get a home game, and get a couple wins, this can be an exciting end to the season. There is no chance at an at-large bid. Our resume is terrible.

Amen, Casstommy! Sometimes I think we can be our own worst enemy. Ninerballin, move away from the ledge before you hurt yourself. Check out College Basketball at Wikipedia.com. (This seems to be the concensus everywhere I have checked.) And before anyone poo-poos this reference, I can site many others if need be.

if we win out(beating #5 gw) and get to the finals, they will take notice.

if we win out(beating #5 gw) and get to the finals, they will take notice.

Thats stating the obvious there buddy.

We have to focus on on our goal one game at a time. Saint Louis is not going to be a pushover. They are making a great final run and whoever wins this game gets 2nd place in A10. so lets worry about Saint Louis first, and then lets look at the Dukes, and GW.

yea it is obvious to most people but it seems like to half the people on NN(max, etc) believe that we must win the a-10. Oh and whoever said we would have no quality wins, what do you call beating a top 5 team on the road???

[QUOTE=max;156659]Great post Bob and Ed. At this point, the regular season has no impact on us from here on out. Even if we went 20-9 or 17-12, it doesn’t matter, though winning is nice. Plain and simple, we have to “earn” our way in. 22-10 and a loss in the A10 final won’t get you there.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that statement. Hopefully we win the tournement and not have to question our fate. However, not loosing until the final WILL be enough to get in regardless of what many on here think. If we don’t win the next FOUR all the optimism will be lost. Let’s hope we get to find out.

I hope Memphis gets in. I’m sweating!

Another way to get in without winning conference tournament.

• beat gw at gw
  • Temple beats Duke tomorrow
  • We meet and beat Temple in A10 tourney
  • We go to finals against GW in tourney, and lose

A lot of ifs, but enough high profile wins to finish the season. In this scenario Temple would of earned the A10 a 2nd bid, but we would take it.

I think this is the only chance we have to get in without winning the tourney.

[QUOTE=max;156706]“We arent 22-10 either. What’s your point?” -NinerAdvocate

I didn’t think it was that difficult to understand my point. I said it doesn’t matter how good our record is…ie: 22-10, whatever…we don’t make the NCAA unless we earn our way in by winning the conf. tourney. I hope this helps you better understand what I said. Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

And I dont think you have yet understood my point - you are discounting the last 6+ games of our season in your assessment. Thats 20% of the entire season. Yes, it still is important how we finish, starting with SLU. 20% is impactful to our overall resume. If we beat GW once or twice, we will have the quality win you say we dont have, etc.

I’m not trying to pick a fight with you max, I just get frustrated by the logical hole in your argument. No one thinks we get in, right now, at 17-9. We all agree with that. But we still have up to 20% of our season left to do something about it, and yes, we do have a chance or two to get a “quality” win.

I understand your point…I just don’t agree with it friend.

max, are you able to tell within 5 positions what our RPI would be if we won the last three regular season games and go 2-1 (lose in the finals) of the A-10 tournament?

I think that’s an important thing to do for anyone who says there is no chance we get an at-large bid without winning the A-10 tournament.

This may have already been posted, but in the Updated Version of Bracketology on ESPN.com, we are not even in the Next Four Out category anymore. I dont understand how Lunardi can drop us out of that position especially after picking up another road victory.

We must take care of business tomorrow against Stl. and Duqesneesne, and now that Pops is out, we SHOULD have a better opportunity against GW. If we win these next 3 games, and win at LEAST 2 more in the conf. tourney, surely, wouldnt 22-10 get us in??? I think our 22-10 record would be better than some of these MVC teams that are supposedly ahead of us. In any event, we must WIN, continuing to get wins wont hurt us, only help.