Bring Bobby Back

Clippings from newspaper articles when Lutz was hereā€¦

As of this writing, Basden and the 49ers were ranked 24th in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll and 25th in the AP poll, rankings the team hasnā€™t consistently enjoyed since the days of Cedric ā€œCornbreadā€ Maxwell and the 1977 squad that made it to the Final Four.

Inside the schoolā€™s Halton Arena, every second person is wearing green and gold. The student section is rowdy yet straightforward in their taunting, sort of a Mad TV to the Saturday Night Live of Duke Universityā€™s famed ā€œCameron Crazies.ā€ Coeds wear shirts emblazoned with legends like ā€œNiner Nation,ā€ ā€œGot Lutz? We Do!ā€, and the ever-popular ā€œGet Drunk Go Niners.ā€ Fans sitting behind the backboards have been handed large polka-dot-affixed signs with which to hound opposing free throw shooters.

Those were the good old days; the Lutz days. Bring 'em back!

3 Likes

over it dead horse GIF

season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

1 Like

comedy central GIF by Drunk History

1 Like

Mustache Fah GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

Good Lord just stop

2 Likes

Or, do like me. When I see a topic I do not like, I skip it.

My mistake, I wasnā€™t aware that dissenting opinions werenā€™t allowed. Pardon me all to hell.

Let me be very clear and clarify my position.

I liked Lutz, I am not anti Lutz. I simply have a good memory. Is Bobby our all time leader in wins? Yes. Is he our all time leader in losses? Also yes if Iā€™m not mistaken.

We had some really good highs with Lutz. We also had some late season swoons and wtf losses.

My position is simply. I donā€™t want Lutz, I want somebody better than Lutz.

5 Likes

No problem with wanting someone better than Lutz and I would love to have that also. I am at the point though that what Lutz was able to accomplish is 1000 times better than the past decade.

Lutz is not the only coach I would be happy to have. Archie Miller and Greg Marshall who were both recently mentioned on the board would be nice to have. Also like, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller and Mark Turgeon.

If we let Sanchez go with years remaining on his contract, can we afford a coach which we perceive to be at a higher level than Lutz? Genuine question, Iā€™m not sure the answer. Another question, do we prefer Lutz to another roll of the dice assistant. That may be the real question.

I think it comes down to a question also posed on these threads: how much do we value basketball?

If youā€™re being pragmatic, we probably only have the budget and the current fanbase to really support one of the two revenue sports at a high profile level. Which one offers us the better route to respectability and success as a program? Thatā€™s the one you probably put your investment into, though it doesnā€™t mean the other one can suck (it still needs to be competitive). The move to the AAC certainly has the potential of increasing the viability for hoops, but it also does for football as well (though I think the competition gap is even bigger than hoops, and the facilities gap definitely is).

What I do know is that I have watched several AAC games on ESPN broadcast channels this season. Just moving to that is a big step up in exposure for our programs

:eyes:

1 Like

For me I want basketball up and performing at a high level. We will most likely never be able to compete with the upper echelons of college football, but we can with basketball. We just need football to go bowling on most years. 6/7 wins is certainly within our grasp most years with maybe a 9/10 season snuck in there. If football is respectable most years and basketball is winning big most years I am thrilled.

2 Likes

So dump our resources into a top flight hoops coach and some ā€œHaltronā€ upgrades, and just hope Healy can keep football respectable?

Donā€™t know how feasible that is but yes NA. Thatā€™s exactly what I want. Iā€™m much more invested in hoops than I ever will be in football.

And the way things are, we can win big in hoops and even baseball for that matter. Our ceiling in football is beating mediocre ACC programs.

1 Like

Yup. I was under no illusion that starting football was the start of us arriving on the national stage.

2 Likes

Lutz has only gotten better with the additional experience gained. HC, Associate Head Coach (NC State and others), mentoring and consulting, administration, and all centered around major programs.

Yea, letā€™s skip that one and take another leap. Itā€™s not like he hasnā€™t already proven he can get it done here, right? Couple Lutz with a move to the AAC and I will take our chances all day.

Everyone we have hired we thought was better than Lutz. Letā€™s go with a ā€œknownā€ and worry about the next Dean Smith after our program becomes relevant again.

Iā€™m on board with Hootie and NWA

1 Like

Yep, football is a fun diversion and has been a super fun and a great time with old friends.

To me, basketball will always be first

2 Likes