Bring Bobby Back

When was the last time Bobby took a D1 team to the Sweet 16 as a HC? Or is round of 32 our goal?

Sign me up for that right now!

FWIW, I am not arguing or suggesting the opposite. Just taking the temperature of the board.

It’s a viable strategy.

I think we’d all kill for an NIT bid at this point. Even that doesn’t seem to be in our near future. Its only been 9 years since our last NIT game guys. Been 20 years since we got to the NCAA Round of 32!!

I’d love to be ripping our coach right now for not making it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament, but in reality we haven’t won a single post season game since Lutz won an NIT game in 2006! These days we are wondering if we are going to make the C-USA Tournament.

I don’t want to sh*t on Lutz and our accomplishments as a program because the 3 coaches that we’ve hired since him can’t live up to the standards he and others set. They haven’t even come close. In the end Bobby was fired for not reaching those standards.

The program wasn’t in horrible shape then, but it has been absolutely destroyed since.

1 Like

Round of 32 multiple times sounds pretty damn good to me right now.

1 Like

No, that was the cover story to get rid of a guy who didn’t bow down to CHP and JR.

The program wasn’t going in the right direction. In hindsight he probably should have gotten another year. If we had known that Judy and Phil would have replaced Lutz with Alan Major, then we would have given him a lifetime contract. Regardless, the program has never been close to those standards since then.

2 Likes

I certainly don’t want to rip on Bobby. Love him and all he did. My point is just that if we go get an older coach that has a ton of experience let’s aim for a guy that has seen the second weekend. I mentioned it before but a Steve Fisher or even Pitino kind of resume makes sense to me. If we are going with someone that hasn’t seen the second weekend, but has been to the NCAAs as a head guy let’s look at guys from lower conferences.

He was fired because they didnt like him AND he wasn’t getting it done in the last 5 years. If he had been to the NCAAs in the last year or two they wouldnt have canned him no matter how much they hated him. Bobby would tell you himself - hell he told me, “I didn’t get it done”.

1 Like

I am 37 years old and the last time bobby reached the round of 32 I was a freshman in high school. I’ve been out of college for going on 16 years. Our oldest current traditional students weren’t born when that happened. Bobby still coached for a DECADE without reaching the round of 32.

Nothing he did in his last nine years here would indicate he was capable of doing that again. He squandered the 05 team and got straight up outclassed by herb sendeck and never recovered.

I love bobby, but seriously, get a grip.

1 Like

Bobby was being modest. Give me a break. Do you think Bobby really thought he deserved be let go?

Oh good lord…somebody does need to get a grip, but it isn’t me.

I think Bobby has really high standards for himself and he knows he fell short of his standards.

Again…do you honestly think Bobby was saying he deserved to be fired?

I am saying he knows his performance wasn’t up to his expectations nor the fans in the last 5 years. I think he wanted another year and the next team was shaping up as a good team but he knew that Judy had it in for him and he didn’t perform at a level that protected him from that. I don’t think he thought he deserved to be fired but I am pretty sure he understood the performance metrics behind it in addition to the personal conflict. The fact is if he had not gone 1-7 and missed on even an NIT bid he wouldn’t have been fired.

1 Like

The panthers should bring back Ron Rivera too

You basically just agreed with what I said…we had a poor ending to that season. Bobby is a stand up guy, so he took responsibility for that as a HC should, but clearly it was used as an excuse to dump him “while they had some cover”.

If he gets it done he doesnt get fired. Pretty simple. You can say they fired him because they didn’t like him and that isn’t wrong, but 5 years of no NCAAs and almost a decade since seeing the round of 32 was enough to fire him given our expectations at that point.

19-12 should never get a coach fired, especially given Bobby’s previous success at the school. They knew it was their best chance to get rid of him…do you think if JR and Bobby had a better personal relationship that he would have been fired under otherwise identical circumstances?

I think an objective AD had grounds to let him go given the last 5 years and expectations at the time. What made the firing so hard is really it just depends on your perspective. Last 5 yrs vs total run. Start of season vs end of season. NITs vs NCAAs. It isn’t 19-12, it is missing NCAAs for 5 straight years.

All I have said is if we hire an older coach we can find one with a resume better than his. If we go with someone that got as far as he did, we can look for a younger guy at a lower level. That doesn’t mean I don’t love the guy.