Briscoe adjusting to his new role

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/26/2805755/49ers-briscoe-coming-to-grips.html

This is coverage I wasn’t expecting, but it was an interesting read. Looks like Deuce didn’t take so well to being moved to a support role. That is understandable. I am happy that he seems to be trying to make himself be a better player for us in whatever capacity he is called upon.

This is coverage I wasn’t expecting, but it was an interesting read. Looks like Deuce didn’t take so well to being moved to a support role. That is understandable. I am happy that he seems to be trying to make himself be a better player for us in whatever capacity he is called upon.[/quote]

Agree. I was very surprised to see this story today.

I still think Deuce earned a starting nod for today’s game with his play against ETSU. He stepped up his game and looked like he got more comfortable as the game went on. Derrio was a total non-factor. I think Deuce deserves a start tonight.

This is coverage I wasn’t expecting, but it was an interesting read. Looks like Deuce didn’t take so well to being moved to a support role. That is understandable. I am happy that he seems to be trying to make himself be a better player for us in whatever capacity he is called upon.[/quote]

Agree. I was very surprised to see this story today.

I still think Deuce earned a starting nod for today’s game with his play against ETSU. He stepped up his game and looked like he got more comfortable as the game went on. Derrio was a total non-factor. I think Deuce deserves a start tonight.[/quote]

Not sure if he deserves it after the one game, but he played much better, which I was thrilled to see. I will say, however, that Derrio doesn’t deserve to start, so that should settle the matter.

I don’t think it really matters who starts. Whoever plays better out of the two of them is going to get starter minutes in games. They are interchangeable to Major.

I think that’s fair. And PB is right, they are interchangeable to Major. I just wonder if maybe Deuce’s mental game would be different if he got the starting nod. Maybe it would help out his play.

Granted match ups will dictate our lineups at guard between the two. He’s a good kid, I’d like to see him get his confidence back.

I love Deuce. He’s one of my favorite players on the team. I was really excited to see him come here and I was a big cheerleader for him last year.

That said, his play outside of one game this year has been less than stellar. Derrio had been playing better than him until the ETSU game. I think we need one or the other to be able to score 15 points a game. If they are both on, that is even better.

ETSU Post game, Deuce appeared to lost in his thoughts, probably not very happy with the loss. I’ll post a picture soon, but his look said all that needed to be said.

Wright St post game he mentioned he was not happy with his minutes, and that he and Major had a talk. I don’t think any of us are surprised that he wasn’t happy with his minutes. But he seemed to say the right things and is accepting his role better.

I've been critical of Briscoe not for his limitations (he has many) but his shot selection, lack of defense, turnovers, etc.or in other words his mental breakdowns in not letting the game come to him but trying to force things and making mistakes.  The last 2 games were far from perfect, but notice when he's in the flow of the game he makes fewer blunders.  He has earned more minutes and I agree has surpassed Green  (at least for now)

Briscoe needs to start over Greene. Keep Henry and Luka at the 1 and Briscoe and Green at the 2.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:7, topic:25935”]I love Deuce. He’s one of my favorite players on the team. I was really excited to see him come here and I was a big cheerleader for him last year.

That said, his play outside of one game this year has been less than stellar. Derrio had been playing better than him until the ETSU game. I think we need one or the other to be able to score 15 points a game. If they are both on, that is even better.[/quote]

PB you continue to judge Deuce’s play based on games where he plays 6 min. Thats a totally unfair comparison. Thats not even a comparison. Thats a snapshot.

Me having the utmost respect for your opinion and knowledge of the game, I think you know the difference.

I love Derrio but when I look at what he does with 25min or even 900+ min (see 2010-11 stats) compared to what Deuce does with the same time the results show that Deuce is a much better and much more efficient player.

The more Briscoe plays the better he plays, as is the case with most highly skilled and talented offensive guards.

Derrio and Deuce are only interchangeable in Major’s eyes because Major is a SIZE KING and has very limited coaching and evaluation skills, not because Deuce is and has not consistently performed at a much higher level than Derrio.

Deuce had a much better and more efficient year out of conference last year than Derrio and in A-10 conference league play the numbers aren’t even close. Briscoe was not only by far the best guard we had but one of the most productive and efficient scoring PG’s in the league in conference play.

Deuce is having a much better year this year and again the efficiency numbers are not even close, when given comparable minutes.

Now after the last two games the sample size has been somewhat adjusted and even with Derrio still playin starter min and Briscoe not - Major would have to be a complete buffoon to not only have Briscoe starting but on the court as much as you possibly can.

I applaud Briscoe for keeping his head even when clear that he is getting shafted by a coach who has turned the concept of competing for playing time and positions into a complete MOCKERY.

The character, poise, and composure Briscoe has shown given the biased politics of the situation, is that of a young man way beyond his years.

I would hope Briscoe is not satisfied with this so called new role or never accepts coming of the bench on any team where he should be the first or second option offensively.

Normm do you have a link to the Wright St post game presser? I cant seem to find it.

Glad Briscoe is finally speaking up for himself.

Major is beginning look completely incompetent in regards to how he is managing starting lineups/and rotations.

What rational coach starts a kid that shoots 30% fg over the last 2 games over one that shoots 52%. In the shooting guard spot no less.

What rational coach starts a kid that has 4 to’s in the last 2 games 2 in the final minute of a very close road game - over one that has 1 turnover in his last 44min of play.

Well, the game where he played 6 minutes, I was adamant afterward that he should have played more. Despite the fact that he had done nothing prior to that this year to show he deserved those minutes. Including a performance in 8 minutes that had 4 turnovers.

Could not possibly agree more. I don’t care if Deuce is three foot freakin two. Major needs to get over this obsession with size and just start the best player at each position. And this is no knock on Derrio, I’m a huge fan of his, but Deuce is clearly the better offensive player at the two.

Could not possibly agree more. I don’t care if Deuce is three foot freakin two. Major needs to get over this obsession with size and just start the best player at each position. And this is no knock on Derrio, I’m a huge fan of his, but Deuce is clearly the better offensive player at the two.[/quote]

I think Deuce playing 20 or so minutes off the bench is a great role for him. Gives us offense when our starters are out. I mean, JB came off the bench last night. I think the obsession with who starts is silly. Derrio game out of the gates hot last night and helped put us up.

sokool, need to have deep threats out there. Briscoe is shooting a whopping 14% from outside. Henry 44%.

Well, the game where he played 6 minutes, I was adamant afterward that he should have played more. Despite the fact that he had done nothing prior to that this year to show he deserved those minutes. Including a performance in 8 minutes that had 4 turnovers. [/quote]

Since then Briscoe has played 44 min 1 turnover.

P.Henry 3 to’s first 3 min ETSU game.

D. Green 2 to’s in 30 seconds in last minute of Wright state game.

These are perfect examples of why snapshots are useless evaluation tools of a player capabilities or lack of.

Could not possibly agree more. I don’t care if Deuce is three foot freakin two. Major needs to get over this obsession with size and just start the best player at each position. And this is no knock on Derrio, I’m a huge fan of his, but Deuce is clearly the better offensive player at the two.[/quote]

I think Deuce playing 20 or so minutes off the bench is a great role for him. Gives us offense when our starters are out. I mean, JB came off the bench last night. I think the obsession with who starts is silly. Derrio game out of the gates hot last night and helped put us up.[/quote]

You start and play your best players or players who are currently playing the best. Period

Anything else is just illogical and uncivilized.

As is starting and playing a 2 guard 29 min a game who is shooting 15 for 50 from the field. :o

you also need good foul shooters out there. Henry is shooting a whoppin 50% from the foul line. Briscoe 1000% ::slight_smile:

you also need guards who can make shots from the field out there. Derrio shooting a whopping 30% last two games. Briscoe 52% ::slight_smile:

you also need good ballhandlers out there. The rest of the team is avg a whopping 22 to’s over the last 2 games. Briscoe .5 ::slight_smile: