Brooks Barden - 2014 QB - verbal to Charlotte

I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t hold. We will see in February, but I feel very confident that Brooks will be signing to play for the Niners.

Pick ax digest is reporting that Barden’s teammate Mark Quattlebaum is probably going to commit to Charlotte. That would seem to strengthen both commitments. These guys might be buddies that want to play together.

Plus for us as well is that it is not too far for their parents to drive to see all of the home games.

I’m not sure if it’s football players in general but I’ve seen a lot of comments from our players about wanting to be close to home. Doesn’t seem like that’s as big of a factor for bball. If that’s the case it’s a huge plus for us living in a top 25 market.

I’ve been thinking about that as well. We seem to be having a lot of luck with FB recruiting. Could this be due to the fact that there is no corrupt AAU circuit to skew everything in FB???

There are 125 FBS schools. Hard to argue CUSA isn’t better than Sun Belt, MAC and what is left of the WAC. Then think regionally, a kid from the southeast probably doesn’t want to go a MWC school or the western half of CUSA.
So before we even contact him, we’re a top 50-60 program. It is hard to argue we are that year in year out in basketball.
Add to that, the top 25 programs are aiming really high. Then, not every program is suited for each indvidual player.

Almost guaranteed he redshirts year one if he ends up here.
That way, going into 2015:
Johnson/McNeill–RS juniors
O’Brien–RS senior
Barden–RS freshman

That way you give him at least two (maybe three) years to develop within the system and hand him the keys to the car when he’s a junior in 2017–unless a can’t miss prospect comes along before then.

Still early though and things could change.

[quote=“sydh, post:27, topic:27998”]Almost guaranteed he redshirts year one if he ends up here.
That way, going into 2015:
Johnson/McNeill–RS juniors
O’Brien–RS senior
Barden–RS freshman

That way you give him at least two (maybe three) years to develop within the system and hand him the keys to the car when he’s a junior in 2017–unless a can’t miss prospect comes along before then.

Still early though and things could change.[/quote]Yeah there is no way he wouldn’t be redshirted unless Johnson really stinks it up this year and the staff thinks he can contribute from day 1.

I think Johnson will do just fine though for the record.

Article on Cartersville, photo of Barden and Quattlebaum

http://neighbornewspapers.com/view/full_story/23437551/article-FOOTBALL-PREVIEW—Canes-picking-up-where-they-left-off?instance=all

Cartersville did not play last night.

http://www.daily-tribune.com/view/full_story/24246895/article-Barden-officially-signs-with-UNC-Charlotte?instance=main_article

“They were the ones that probably showed the most interest and fought hard to get me and made me feel like they wanted me,” Barden said of the UNC-Charlotte coaching staff. “It’s a new program and I’m excited about going up there and starting a tradition and starting anew.”

“We’re really excited about where he’s going,” Brooks’ father and Cartersville head coach Frank Barden said. “He’s really excited. He thinks it’s a great fit, loves the coaching staff up there and loves the opportunities that are before him, not only as a team and as a program, but for him.”

After a 64-year absence of the football program, UNC-Charlotte finished 5-6 in its first season since 1948. The 49ers averaged over 33 points per game this year and their passy-heavy, spread offense intrigues Brooks Barden.

“Yeah, I like the offense,” he said. “I met the offensive coordinator, coach [Jeff] Mullen. He’s a great guy. They had maybe a few transfers, but they were pretty much all redshirt freshmen, so they had a good year with what they had.”

The program will join Conference USA in 2015. Barden will likely redshirt his first year and be eligible by the time the 49ers make the move to their new conference. “We’re going to be playing some good football teams and we’re excited about it,” Barden said.

Barden will attend the school during the spring semester, beginning January, to get a head start on his college courses and to participate in practices with the football team.

Read more: The Daily Tribune News - Barden officially signs with UNC Charlotte

This was the one I didn’t think would stick but I’m glad I was wrong.

Glad to hear he’s still coming here. Was worried about him.

Love that he is starting in January to get acclimated to college life as well as a planned redshirt year next season.

I love that he is starting in January, so that no one can step in and steal him between now and signing day!!

He gets to participate in spring practices and a full red shirt season before his clock starts running.

I concur.

Nice! I assumed it wouldn’t hold up, kudos to the staff for landing him.

Might have dodged a bullet with him signing early. With Blake Anderson from Chapel Hill taking the Arkansas State job we might have lost him. StAte had already offered and it sounded like UNC-CH was treating Barden as a backup plan if they missed out on their other QB target(s).

I love that he is starting in January, so that no one can step in and steal him between now and signing day!!

He gets to participate in spring practices and a full red shirt season before his clock starts running.[/quote]

Will he be eligible to play in our bowl game in JANUARY in 5 years? He will have completed 5 years by then.

:slight_smile: