Brooks Barden - 2014 QB - verbal to Charlotte

clt says UNC CHeat offered a free house from good ol Roy.

Maybe I’m looking too far into things here, but guys don’t typically come to college a semester early to redshirt. That very well may be the case here, but I’m just saying.

Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

Of course, Brooks could be THAT good. Wonder what would become of Matt Johnson though.

[quote=“J Felt, post:43, topic:27998”]Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

Of course, Brooks could be THAT good. Wonder what would become of Matt Johnson though.[/quote]

I seriously doubt we’d “waste” Barden’s eligibility in a transition year. He’ll get a chance to compete with Matt and Lee, in 2015.

[quote=“J Felt, post:43, topic:27998”]Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

Of course, Brooks could be THAT good. Wonder what would become of Matt Johnson though.[/quote]Is it common for players to switch position in college?

If so, FB/TE could be an option if he can catch the ball. He would have good size and speed for both positions.

I’ll be interested to see if Matt progresses next season. He can make all the throws, he showed that this year, but he rarely read the field and that is what scares me. He would often force it to the intended recipient, even if he was well covered. I hope to see that gone next season.

Of course, Brooks could be THAT good. Wonder what would become of Matt Johnson though.[/quote]

I have no doubt that he will redshirt a year. (haha… but i could be wrong…) But even Matt has said he will learn more of the playbook moving into his 2nd year. I feel there is a lot to take in and our staff continues to build for the future. That being said we now know that we can have 2 solid QB’s going into 2015 and Brooks will be here through 18 (if he does redshirt) could he be the 1st to take us to a bowl?

[quote=“Niner National, post:45, topic:27998”][quote=“J Felt, post:43, topic:27998”]Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

Of course, Brooks could be THAT good. Wonder what would become of Matt Johnson though.[/quote]Is it common for players to switch position in college?

If so, FB/TE could be an option if he can catch the ball. He would have good size and speed for both positions.

I’ll be interested to see if Matt progresses next season. He can make all the throws, he showed that this year, but he rarely read the field and that is what scares me. He would often force it to the intended recipient, even if he was well covered. I hope to see that gone next season.[/quote]

While its relatively common for players to switch positions to something different than what they played in high school, it just doesnt seem like we use the fullback/TE/H back role that extensively in our offense. Most of our sets are single back, 3 or 4 WR, and aside from Bolus, our H backs usually block more than they run or catch. As a pretty highly rated QB, i just think its unlikely that Barden is more suited for that role than BATTLING Matt for the QB role, which will make both of them better in the long run.

[quote=“jfickett, post:47, topic:27998”][quote=“Niner National, post:45, topic:27998”][quote=“J Felt, post:43, topic:27998”]Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

I’ll be interested to see if Matt progresses next season. He can make all the throws, he showed that this year, but he rarely read the field and that is what scares me. He would often force it to the intended recipient, even if he was well covered. I hope to see that gone next season.[/quote]

While its relatively common for players to switch positions to something different than what they played in high school, it just doesnt seem like we use the fullback/TE/H back role that extensively in our offense. Most of our sets are single back, 3 or 4 WR, and aside from Bolus, our H backs usually block more than they run or catch. As a pretty highly rated QB, i just think its unlikely that Barden is more suited for that role than BATTLING Matt for the QB role, which will make both of them better in the long run.[/quote]

He was talking about Johnson who I believe has good size for a TE but may be able to play as a possession WR if he can catch.

I’m guessing that he will redshirt and that by starting early he can minimize his course load dramatically throughout his playing years.

It’s fairly common for a QB to be an EE and red-shirt. There is so much to learn at that position, the earlier you can get started the better.

[quote=“jfickett, post:47, topic:27998”][quote=“Niner National, post:45, topic:27998”][quote=“J Felt, post:43, topic:27998”]Doubt Lambert would start a freshman at such an important position without a redshirt year.

While its relatively common for players to switch positions to something different than what they played in high school, it just doesnt seem like we use the fullback/TE/H back role that extensively in our offense. Most of our sets are single back, 3 or 4 WR, and aside from Bolus, our H backs usually block more than they run or catch. As a pretty highly rated QB, i just think its unlikely that Barden is more suited for that role than BATTLING Matt for the QB role, which will make both of them better in the long run.[/quote]remind me not to ever have you read any case files for me. ;D