Bruce Pearl to Auburn

You snooze you lose.

Also shows that he was in fact interested in coaching again. Not saying he would have ended up here if we pursued, but he was looking to land somewhere.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10626778/bruce-pearl-accepts-auburn-tigers-head-basketball-coaching-job

He wasn’t going to any CUSA or mid to low level conference.

Exactly. He was pretty much going to have his choice of jobs.

The hire Auburn needed to make their basketball program legit.

This is how big boy athletic departments act. I know we are not an SEC school, but they hired him notwithstanding the minor ethical issues in the past. We could not have gotten him over Auburn, but we should at least be making a pass for guys like this. He isn’t Sandusky.

PS they fired their coach who was hired the same time as Major.

Yea but we dont “let inmates run the asylum”

We just hedge our contracts on them

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:4, topic:28707”]The hire Auburn needed to make their basketball program legit.[/quote] Yet to be seen. Good luck to him with that. Auburn at Tenn. should be interesting.

I’ll give the Auburn insider perspective here.

1. This is a very bold move, especially considering how sensitive Jay Jacobs and the higher-ups are about the perception that Auburn is a serial cheater.

2. That said, Pearl will have the compliance office on him like white on rice. Rich McGlynn, Auburn’s compliance chief, is a former NCAA attorney and has earned his reputation as a by-the-books hardass. This is the guy that made the softball team pay $5 to a charity because they got pillowcases to decorate free of charge. He’s not gonna let Bruce Pearl throw any backyard barbecues, guaranteed.

3. This may give Auburn basketball a much-needed shot in the arm, but it cannot be understated just how little of a s*** Auburn fans give about basketball. This is what makes Auburn the worst basketball coaching situation in a conference full of bad ones. At the very least, men’s basketball is a placeholder between football and baseball; at worst, it’s an embarrassing black eye for an athletic department that is otherwise pretty successful across the board. I am not exaggerating when I say that Auburn’s gymnastics team pulls better crowds on Friday nights in the winter than Auburn basketball has ever gotten in recent memory, including student attendance.

As an Auburn alum and fan (albeit a very casual Auburn BASKETBALL fan), I’m excited about the potential this has to revitalize the program. When Major gets fired after next year, I will rage-quit everything 49ers basketball-related if we hire some no-name assistant coach.

he has publicly stated that he does not care about conference. i feel like we could have gotten him if we wanted him. i know auburn is an sec job but he would walk into a better situation here. a basketball school with a lot more talent that he will have at auburn.

he has publicly stated that he does not care about conference. i feel like we could have gotten him if we wanted him. i know auburn is an sec job but he would walk into a better situation here. a basketball school with a lot more talent that he will have at auburn a power conference school with a lot more money and nicer facilities than we have here at Charlotte.[/quote]

he has publicly stated that he does not care about conference. i feel like we could have gotten him if we wanted him. i know auburn is an sec job but he would walk into a better situation here. a basketball school with a lot more talent that he will have at auburn.[/quote]
He also publicly said that he would only go to a school where they could win a National Championship. We do not have the resources to be on that path. If the stars aligned and somehow we did we would be the Cinderella team people talked about for generations.

Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

Its a bottom 100 program

[quote=“metro, post:12, topic:28707”]Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

Its a bottom 100 program[/quote]
The facilities and administrative support are top notch. With the right combination of a good coach and a couple of solid recruiting classes, there’s no reason they couldn’t be middle of the road SEC team year in and year out. But right now, it’s a disaster of a program - even moreso than ours.

he has publicly stated that he does not care about conference. i feel like we could have gotten him if we wanted him. i know auburn is an sec job but he would walk into a better situation here. a basketball school with a lot more talent that he will have at auburn.[/quote]
He also publicly said that he would only go to a school where they could win a National Championship. We do not have the resources to be on that path. If the stars aligned and somehow we did we would be the Cinderella team people talked about for generations.[/quote]

wichita state is on that path. they have neither football nor a huge alumni base.

He also publicly said that he would only go to a school where they could win a National Championship. We do not have the resources to be on that path. If the stars aligned and somehow we did we would be the Cinderella team people talked about for generations.[/quote]

wichita state is on that path. they have neither football nor a huge alumni base.[/quote]

WSU has a very loyal following in Wichita. The same can’t be said about Charlotte, even with alums.

wichita state is on that path. they have neither football nor a huge alumni base.[/quote]

WSU has a very loyal following in Wichita. The same can’t be said about Charlotte, even with alums.[/quote]

They have a VERY CAPTIVE audience. Too many other teams in our area, pro and college vying for $$$ and attention. See also, Dayton.

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:13, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:12, topic:28707”]Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

The facilities and administrative support are top notch. With the right combination of a good coach and a couple of solid recruiting classes, there’s no reason they couldn’t be middle of the road SEC team year in and year out. But right now, it’s a disaster of a program - even moreso than ours.[/quote]
Agree 100%
New arena is nice. Ive toured football offices and entire facil back in Pat Dye era. Actually hung in his office with him a few mins and met the president.

Friend of mines kid is #1 p on sofball. Im a fan.

I more less meant we arent that inferior in hoops, for Pearl to consider.

[quote=“metro, post:17, topic:28707”][quote=“UNCCTF, post:13, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:12, topic:28707”]Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

The facilities and administrative support are top notch. With the right combination of a good coach and a couple of solid recruiting classes, there’s no reason they couldn’t be middle of the road SEC team year in and year out. But right now, it’s a disaster of a program - even moreso than ours.[/quote]
Agree 100%
New arena is nice. Ive toured football offices and entire facil back in Pat Dye era. Actually hung in his office with him a few mins and met the president.

I more less meant we arent that inferior in hoops, for Pearl to consider.[/quote]

we are not inferior at all. we are quite superior to them in hoops in terms of just history and how much people here care about basketball. obviously this is not taking into account money and conference.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:18, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:17, topic:28707”][quote=“UNCCTF, post:13, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:12, topic:28707”]Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

Agree 100%

I more less meant we arent that inferior in hoops, for Pearl to consider.[/quote]
you just agreed with me… :eek:

we are not inferior at all. we are quite superior to them in hoops in terms of just history and how much people here care about basketball. obviously this is not taking into account money and conference.[/quote]

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:18, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:17, topic:28707”][quote=“UNCCTF, post:13, topic:28707”][quote=“metro, post:12, topic:28707”]Fyi…auburn is NOT in the 201 teams who HAVE danced since our last ncaa.

Agree 100%

we are not inferior at all. we are quite superior to them in hoops in terms of just history and how much people here care about basketball. obviously this is not taking into account money and conference.[/quote]

Not sure how superior we are:

Auburn: Auburn has appeared in the NCAA Tournament eight times. Their combined record is 12–8.

Charlotte has a whooping 7 wins in the NCAA tourney on 10 appearances. Not exactly a Dynasty.