Bryant Thomas

I’ve read this kid was in attendance last night. As a recent article in the O describes him, this is the exact kind of player Price needs to land in next season’s class. What do we know about him? Have we offered? Any idea what our chances are?

Here is the article from the O. Sounds like a true diamond in the rough, possibly shining a little too soon for us to cash in. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article130434294.html

Shining too soon? It’s late in his sr year. From what I’ve seen he’s had mostly D2 offers at this point other than us and BC is sniffing around. He is apparently raw as he hasn’t played much ball (his hs coach indicated he might need a RS season) but athletic. I mean, yeah, let’s get him if we can, we have lots of schollies available.

In this article Wertz parenthetically defines double-double, D1, and redshirt. What has happened to our world that people reading the sports page don’t know these things!

If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.
This is a guard oriented staff and have shown
They can have no talent for working with big men

His shot blocking alone would change our defensive persona. We don’t get or need much scoring from the 5. Just 8-9 boards and 3 blocks a game and he’d be a huge help.

Plus he’s a South Meck Sabre. Gotta like that! 8)

Yes, we’ve offered and he was scheduled to be in Halton last night. He didn’t start playing hoops until he was a Sophomore. Would love to have him, even if he needs a RS. Doesn’t impact us on needing 1 more experienced big man for next Fall.

Good fit for us.

We need to go hard for this guy. Right? Why shouldn’t we?

[quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:5, topic:30796”]His shot blocking alone would change our defensive persona. We don’t get or need much scoring from the 5. Just 8-9 boards and 3 blocks a game and he’d be a huge help.

Plus he’s a South Meck Sabre. Gotta like that! 8)[/quote]

[font=arial][size=medium]Lew Massey, Vincent Grier, Bryant Thomas![/size][/font]

[quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.
They can have no talent for working with big men[/quote]are you a troll?

[quote=“anipalcraig, post:8, topic:30796”][quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:5, topic:30796”]His shot blocking alone would change our defensive persona. We don’t get or need much scoring from the 5. Just 8-9 boards and 3 blocks a game and he’d be a huge help.

Plus he’s a South Meck Sabre. Gotta like that! 8)[/quote]

[font=arial][size=medium]Lew Massey, Vincent Grier, Bryant Thomas![/size][/font][/quote]

And Todd Crowley on the Final Four team.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:30796”][quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.
They can have no talent for working with big men[/quote]are you a troll?[/quote]

Well… Despite not liking the message, its hard to argue with any of those comments.

[quote=“s9er, post:11, topic:30796”][quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:30796”][quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.
They can have no talent for working with big men[/quote]are you a troll?[/quote]

Well… Despite not liking the message, its hard to argue with any of those comments.[/quote]

Actually, its not hard at all. They are in year 2. Year 1 we had a big guy with bad knees have a GREAT season. Year 2, we have 2 very soft big guys with limited abilities. I would say the data is WAY too limited to make that assessment.

[quote=“919R, post:12, topic:30796”][quote=“s9er, post:11, topic:30796”][quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:30796”][quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.

Well… Despite not liking the message, its hard to argue with any of those comments.[/quote]

Actually, its not hard at all. They are in year 2. Year 1 we had a big guy with bad knees have a GREAT season. Year 2, we have 2 very soft big guys with limited abilities. I would say the data is WAY too limited to make that assessment.[/quote]

The “data” is nothing but hope… I hope they can recruit decent bigs (haven’t seen the ability to do so yet), and I hope they can develop them (haven’t seen the ability to do this yet either… although it is only year 2)… we both hope… but neither of us have much more than that to go on.

I am little confused on this topic. Price has not been able to recruit a big as we all know, but we do not know if he can coach a big or not. Benas was from Major’s time and he was an big man’s coach and it has not worked out. Joseph did pretty well last yr under Price and better than he did at Pitt. I think the jury is still out and we need to wait and see if we can even recruit one or not.

[quote=“woodniner, post:14, topic:30796”]I am little confused on this topic. Price has not been able to recruit a big as we all know, but we do not know if he can coach a big or not. Benas was from Major’s time and he was an big man’s coach and it has not worked out. Joseph did pretty well last yr under Price and better than he did at Pitt. I think the jury is still out and we need to wait and see if we can even recruit one or not.[/quote]Uchebo was never really healthy at Pitt. He played like half a season his senior year at Pitt and had some decent games.

He was just a superior talent to other CUSA bigs and it showed. I doubt Price really had much of an impact on his development since he didn’t arrive on campus early.

Back on topic, I’ve seen enough of this kid already to take him. We don’t need him to be polished offensively. We need his (IMO) clear aptitude for shot blocking, his length and his athleticism. Martin Iti was nothing but rebounds, blocks and putbacks and was just 6’8 without shoes. Every single one of us with suitable blood flow to the cerebral cortex would take him.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:30796”][quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.

clt says you have to pay the troll toll.

We have enough schollerships open. I think he could help with rebounding and defense around the rim, which we sorely need. Pair this with a juco pick if possible.

[quote=“s9er, post:13, topic:30796”][quote=“919R, post:12, topic:30796”][quote=“s9er, post:11, topic:30796”][quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:30796”][quote=“ninerJ, post:4, topic:30796”]If he’s a project, he needs to be elsewhere.

Actually, its not hard at all. They are in year 2. Year 1 we had a big guy with bad knees have a GREAT season. Year 2, we have 2 very soft big guys with limited abilities. I would say the data is WAY too limited to make that assessment.[/quote]

The “data” is nothing but hope… I hope they can recruit decent bigs (haven’t seen the ability to do so yet), and I hope they can develop them (haven’t seen the ability to do this yet either… although it is only year 2)… we both hope… but neither of us have much more than that to go on. [/quote]

Exactly…so why say “its hard to argue with any of those comments”? It’s just too early to state what they can or can not do as fact at this point.

Fact - We need anyone over 6’7. Bryant, feel free to come here.