Busch record season for Chicago Fire...

Jon Busch is the leading GK in MLS so far…Having played every min of every game for the Chicago Fire

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=busch_j&playerId=bus118654&statType=current

First off, NO CHANCE he is 5’10"…haha.
But, one of the biggest competitors you will ever see…one of the best players to ever play at Charlotte.

Good stuff. It’s too bad soccer has so much trouble catching on in the US. Maybe if our men’s team performed a little better in the World Cup?

Then again, I’ve met very few casual fans of women’s soccer in the US…

[QUOTE=fotee9er;320341]First off, NO CHANCE he is 5’10"…haha.[/QUOTE]
5’8" if I remember correctly.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;320342]Good stuff. It’s too bad soccer has so much trouble catching on in the US. Maybe if our men’s team performed a little better in the World Cup?

Then again, I’ve met very few casual fans of women’s soccer in the US…[/QUOTE]

Well, I know there is a decent bit of soccer fans in the US like me, they just don’t really watch MLS soccer because it is second rate compared to what others and I can see in the EPL, La Liga, Series A, etc. Soccer in Europe is just so much better to watch.

Well, I know there is a decent bit of soccer fans in the US like me, they just don't really watch MLS soccer because it is second rate compared to what others and I can see in the EPL, La Liga, Series A, etc. Soccer in Europe is just so much better to watch.

The MLS has improved by leaps and bounds the past few years. Granted, you will see a good deal of difference between the top clubs in the MLS and the top clubs from a few European leagues. A Liverpool v. Man U match is a couple steps above a Fire v. Crew match. But the middle and lower end of the leagues arent seperated by that much imo. I dont see that much difference in a Fulhum/Derby Co match and a bottom tier MLS match.

Good topic…European players are “soccer” players NOT just athletes like Americans usually are. Also, you CAN’T duplicate promotion and relegation in the US which leads to MUCH more pressure in Europe.
Finally, American players struggle GREATLY with tactics of the game, Europeans don’t.

Vote for Busch for the All Star game…Can vote 10 times per day

http://www.mlsnet.com/mls/events/all_star/2008/ballot/register.jsp

I think that the MLS is showing improvement as far as play is concerned - still not anyhwhere near the permiership level.

Proud of our guys representing us though! Awesome achievement for Busch and niner athletics as far as professional athletic production!

Any idea how floyd franks is doing this year? and how about the guy who signed with DCU?

Also - how much do you think crowd plays into your perception of the game? Basically if the MLS produced crowds at the same level as premier leagues in europe (while maintaining the same level of talent) do you think that soccer fans would view the league as a whole differently?

oh yeah - and Go Chelsea on Wednesday :biggrin:

Chatted with Buschie for about 30 mins this week. He is doing great and really enjoying the experience in Chicago. He is simply one of the hardest working athletes you will ever encounter. He was just becoming a figure with the national team when he suffered his first knee injury.

I miss calling his cell in the middle of matches in Columbus razzing him about everything and anything so that he would come back to the locker room after the match and have to listen to all the crap about his play. Most of it was about his height. 5’10" …LMAO!!!

We talked about when he is going to come back and pay Charlotte a visit. Hopefully it will happen for an alumni match soon.

how about the guy who signed with DCU?

Mira Mupier; though not currently on their roster. I can’t figure out who he plays for now.

Any idea how floyd franks is doing this year?

Floyd Franks is out of the MLS, he plays for the Cleveland City Stars in the USL Second Division (same league as the Charlote Eagles). He is on the same team with former 49er teammate Adam Ruud who is tied for third in the league in points. Adam is basically the star of the team; he is in pretty much every photo on the site. Interesting note; Cleveland City Stars were founded in 2006 and have a very [COLOR=green]Green [/COLOR][COLOR=black]theme.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]http://www.clevelandcitystars.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
[/COLOR]

Floyd Franks is out of the MLS, he plays for the Cleveland City Stars in the USL Second Division (same league as the Charlote Eagles). He is on the same team with former 49er teammate Adam Ruud who is tied for third in the league in points. Adam is basically the star of the team; he is in pretty much every photo on the site. Interesting note; Cleveland City Stars were founded in 2006 and have a very [COLOR=green]Green [/COLOR][COLOR=black]theme. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]http://www.clevelandcitystars.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1[/COLOR]

“Cleveland city stars sign TV deal with SportsTime Ohio”

haha - and we can’t even get all the bobcats games on TV!

"Cleveland city stars sign TV deal with SportsTime Ohio"

haha - and we can’t even get all the bobcats games on TV!

Every single Bobcats game was on local cable last season. This year, almost every game will be televised on Fox Sports South.

I’ll just pretend you were tlaking about the Ohio U Bobcats :rolleyes:

Every single Bobcats game was on local cable last season. This year, almost every game will be televised on Fox Sports South.

I’ll just pretend you were tlaking about the Ohio U Bobcats :rolleyes:

oh really? I thought we didnt pick up all of the away games?

…whoops

oh really? I thought we didnt pick up all of the away games?

…whoops

Yep. Granted they weren’t always on the same channel (sometimes on news14, soemtimes on WJZY), but they were always on local cable. The TWC deal is huge, being on Fox Sports South is a big step up.

I apologize for the blatant threadjack, just felt the need to clear that up.

Aaannnd back on topic… :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Charlotte Soccer Coach;320417]
We talked about when he is going to come back and pay Charlotte a visit. Hopefully it will happen for an alumni match soon.[/QUOTE]

I hear Gunn isn’t too big on reaching out to the former players and was not very welcoming when some came back to train.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;320484]I hear Gunn isn’t too big on reaching out to the former players and was not very welcoming when some came back to train.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the same thing about the coaching staff…there doesn’t seem to be a lot of pride in the program that once was the gem on campus. Too bad that was long ago in the mid to late 90’s.
But, I will say that Jon Busch is the man…big debate as to whether him or Aiden Heany as the best GK to play here. My vote is Jon.

I hear Gunn isn't too big on reaching out to the former players and was not very welcoming when some came back to train.

That’s very strange… why the hell would a coach not want former players to come back? :huh:

oh yeah - and Go Chelsea on Wednesday :biggrin:

[COLOR=Red]Glory, Glory Man Uni-ted![/COLOR]