Butch Davis gets a raise

Here’s your editorial, Metro.

http://www.charlotte.com/opinion/story/379990.html

[QUOTE=NLP;271626]Bye bye, Butch Davis. Unless you don’t really think Huggins is really going to leave KSU for West Virginia.[/QUOTE]

Davis’ buyout is in the $700K-$800K range right now. I think Arkansas might go after him pending how much they have to pay Nutt. That is being negotiated now. He is owed $3.4 million next year. If Nutt gets 1/3 of that, Arkansas is looking at $2 million lost plus what they are going to have to shell out to get Davis, which one would assume would be more than he is getting paid at UNC now. I won’t put it past them, but that’s a lot of cash.

Form the editorial:

[QUOTE]The university exists, after all, to educate the people, not to entertain them. Trustees must decide whether the university controls its athletic program, or the other way around.[/QUOTE]

That’s idealistic thinking. Tell that to all of the college football fans that never went to college. You have to pay big bucks to a) avoid losing a good coach or b ) having to pay bigger bucks later to keep him. The only way coaching salaries will ever keep from being outrageous is if the NCAA puts a salary cap on their earnings. That’s not going to happen.

X, Davis’ buyout, before the extension, was $2 million. Unclear until BOT signs off on extension whether it went up with the new deal. Of course, Arkansas could still pay it, but the pricetag probably went up.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;271645]X, Davis’ buyout, before the extension, was $2 million. Unclear until BOT signs off on extension whether it went up with the new deal. Of course, Arkansas could still pay it, but the pricetag probably went up.[/QUOTE]

Good point, since the extension is not official yet. According to this post and reference, the buyout begins at $700,000 and increases each year of the contract and is $2 million at some point in the contract.

[URL=http://www.fanblogs.com/north_carolina/007232.php][B][U][COLOR=Cyan]Fanblogs.com: UNC-CH blog post[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

That’s wrong. We have a copy of the pre-extension contract, from FOIA request. From our paper:

According to the contract, if Davis leaves North Carolina before the end of the 2010 season and accepts a coaching job with another Division I team or a pro football team before Jan. 15, 2014, he must pay North Carolina a $2 million buyout.

clt asks once again, "why is this even being discussed?’

[QUOTE=cltniners;271655]clt asks once again, "why is this even being discussed?’[/QUOTE]

It’s in the “Collegiate Sports” forum, where it should be. If clt does not like it, clt does not have to click on the post to read it. If you do not want to see this type of stuff pop up, then change your link to http://www.ninernation.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39 instead of www.ninernation.net. That way it will be all Niner stuff all the time. Hopefully, clt will then be happy. If clt does not want to change the link to the forum, then X says to clt, “tough”. :ohmy:

clt asks once again, "why is this even being discussed?'

ninerID asks “would you prefer we talk about monmouth?”

It's in the "Collegiate Sports" forum, where it should be.

exactly. I think this stuff is interesting simply b/c i like college sports

I have contract in front of me.

Butch Davis’ buyout in pre-extension contract:

$2 million through 2010
$1.5 million in 2011
$1 million in 2012
$700,000 thereafter.

Payable in a lump sum, 90 days after he leaves or takes another job, whichever is later.

[QUOTE=ninerID;271663]ninerID asks “would you prefer we talk about monmouth?”

exactly. I think this stuff is interesting simply b/c i like college sports[/QUOTE]

clt mocks your value system. we complain about unc ch getting a disproportionate amount of coverage in the o, and then you infidels write post after post about their damn football coach. who cares about them?

where is your speculation about who will coach Michigan or Nebraska?

who cares about them?

You’ve now posted in the thread 3 times. How much time have you spent reading it?

where is your speculation about who will coach Michigan or Nebraska?
If Lloyd Carr or Bill Callahan were to get a raise and extension after their season and it was put in an outlet where I was able to see it easily, I would probably put it up for discussion. Where is your whining in the "Georgia Tech" thread? Trust me I hate the holes as much as anyone, part of why I posted the thread, I think it is hilarious that a 4-8 season is such a success that it garners $2 mil a year.

We haven’t played a game in 8 days, and I don’t think we’ve done anything anyone wants to talk about in about 2 weeks. If you want to talk niners, I’ll start another Monmouth thread.

[QUOTE=ninerID;271431]My project manager is a HUGE arkansas fan/alumni. Houston Nutt was done well before the LSU win, heck he’s been cooking for the last 3 years it seems. He could wind up at Ole Miss.

He doesn’t think they go after butch, especially since the latest contract, his opinion “He’s got the greatest job in the world. Make 2 million, if you go 8-4, youre a hero.”[/QUOTE]

Actually Arkansas offered him a 2 year extension after the LSU win, but Nutt was smart enough not to take it and resign. The Arkansas expectations are unreal, Nutt has done a nice job and just because a bunch of whiny alumni are pissed because local recruits Mitch Mustain and the receiver that transferred with him didn’t work out doesn’t mean he should have been put through what he was put through.

Great get for Ole Miss, Oregeron was an idiot and horrible coach. If Butch doesn’t go to Arkansas, then it is because he sees what that place can do to even a good coach.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;271664]I have contract in front of me.

Butch Davis’ buyout in pre-extension contract:

$2 million through 2010
$1.5 million in 2011
$1 million in 2012
$700,000 thereafter.

Payable in a lump sum, 90 days after he leaves or takes another job, whichever is later.[/QUOTE]

That’s still nothing for Arkansas. After all they have the largest corporation in the world headquartered there and the Waltons have and still contribute BIG money to the institution.

Actually Arkansas offered him a 2 year extension after the LSU win, but Nutt was smart enough not to take it and resign.
There were many rumors that he was gone 3 weeks ago. The press conference that he was stepping down was so staged, and then goes to Ole Miss the next day, I am sure the "extension" was a CYA move for Arkansas' PR, they new he wouldn't take it.
That's still nothing for Arkansas. After all they have the largest corporation in the world headquartered there and the Waltons have and still contribute BIG money to the institution.
Mr. Tyson is on the BOT, if he wants Butch, he'll write the check personally

[QUOTE=cltniners;271679]
where is your speculation about who will coach Michigan or Nebraska?[/QUOTE]

If clt had took the time to read the entire thread, clt would have discovered the Michigan vacancy has been discussed along with speculation about the potential LSU vacancy and how that might involve Rich Rodriguez. We have also discussed the vacancy now at Arkansas. Since you did not read the other posts and decided to post some nonsense, I have posted tidbits below so that you can catch up. We did not discuss the Nebraska vacancy because there are no current big time coaches being considered at Nebraska. Turner Gill is at Buffalo, which is not big time.

[QUOTE=X-49er;271240]He probably wouldn’t have gotten the extension with those results. The FACT is though that he beat those teams and all but two of the losses were close games. This with only 5 seniors (i.e. the rest of the team will be back). He has almost all underclassmen that will return next year. Davis had the #17 recruiting class last year, and that was with less than half a year to put it together. He got two late hour coups in Little and Austin. As said in my previous post, his class this year probably won’t be rated that high because he only has 5 senior starters to replace and only 8 total on their entire depth chart.

West Virginia supporters better be prepared to open up their pocket books, again. Rodriguez’s contract was extended to 2013 before this season, and the buyout is currently $4,000,000. You think Michigan or LSU won’t pay that to get him? The only way to change the buyout amount in a coach’s contract is to extend it. That’s what UNC-CH just did, and what WVU better be prepared to do. Lucky for WVU that Rodriguez is an alum. He’ll be more enticed to stay for that reason and may not shake all of the money out of the booster’s pockets. FYI, Davis’ buyout is currently at a $2,000,000 max. If he has an 8-10 win season next year he will be getting suitors from other programs for sure.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=X-49er;271068]The Heels are simply protecting their investment. With the recruits he’s already bringing in, there’s no way Carolina will continue to be a doormat. It’s a step that, if Badour had any foresight, they would have done with Mack Brown. It would have been tough for them to even come close to matching Texas in salary, but in hindsight would it not have been worth it? They were one win away from a couple of ACC titles under Brown, but just could not get over the FSU hurdle. Somebody look up what Brown’s record was his first couple of years in Chapel Hill. It wasn’t pretty, but he’s the one laughing now financially and with a title trophy in the background. You extend the contract so that the big cheese programs with money to waste don’t swoop in and pick him off. Compare the winning percentage of UNC-Ch’s teams since Brown to the last five years under Brown. Davis is a proven college winner, and they know he’s going to get it done.

The best example of this I see coming is Michigan stealing Les Miles. Why Miles would want to leave LSU for Michigan is beyond me. LSU has been a better program than Michigan the last seven years, yet the football “experts” think this is a “better” job. The only thing “better” there might be the money.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=lutz9er;271086]I believe he played at Michigan, but without that piece of info I agree that its not necesarily a better job. There is also the idea that it is easier to make a BCS or “National Title” game out of the Big10 than the SEC because the SEC is tougher and so you would have fewer losses in the Big10.[/QUOTE]

I think the UNC Chapel Hill board should give Butch another $2 million. He is obviously the best coach in the history of college football.

It was just a fluke that VT (who is terrible this year) ended the game on a 17-0 run. Congrats Butch Davis, you are now 3-6 in the ACC in your career, and that is without playing Clemson or Florida State.

I am expecting an article from the O on how Chapel hill could more wisely spend that money on academics by Monday.

:lmao: That’s good stuff, ID.

[QUOTE=ninerID;343579]I think the UNC Chapel Hill board should give Butch another $2 million. He is obviously the best coach in the history of college football.

It was just a fluke that VT (who is terrible this year) ended the game on a 17-0 run. Congrats Butch Davis, you are now 3-6 in the ACC in your career, and that is without playing Clemson or Florida State.

I am expecting an article from the O on how Chapel hill could more wisely spend that money on academics by Monday.[/QUOTE]

I agree, maybe they’ll think someone else will be interested in the offseason, and UNC-CH should make Butch Davis top paid coach in CFB. That would be something, top paid coach, and can’t even win.

I think the UNC Chapel Hill board should give Butch another $2 million. He is obviously the best coach in the history of college football.

I am expecting an article from the O on how Chapel hill could more wisely spend that money on academics by Monday.

I’m not a fan of UNC-CH, but I am a fan of Butch Davis. That loss today, if u watched it had to do with their starting qb going out and them having to rely on a ****ty back up who kept them on the field for about one total minute the rest of the game. If your defense is on the field for that long without a rest, they’re gonna get scored on. You can’t win in college football without a qb. I thought the starting qb was quite the ***** this game, he didn’t even try to stay in the game. As far as the contract goes, I don’t think he should’ve gotten a raise already, but that team has improved and will continue to improve under Davis. He brought Miami from a bunch of walk-ons to a very disciplined, very talented team in about 6 years, and the 2001 Hurricanes were the best college team I’ve ever seen. Yes, Coker was the coach of that team, but that was Butch Davis’ team. I don’t expect UNC-CH to ever be a National title contender, but I guarantee they will be a very good team by the time Davis is done with them.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Now, THAT is funny !!!

We’re more likely to see a full page article on why people living in Charlotte should donate money to unc-chapel hill athletics rather than support the Niners.