buzz peterson

I think he is a real possibility here. Part of me is curious if his evil empire ties could help us (I am sure MJ would help him and our players would have nba access) and the other half of me wants no part of uncch and I would need to hold my nose for a while if he comes and he would need to quickly learn this is not unc-c but “Charlote.”

Can he coach? Is he a recruiter?

App is never going to be a hoops school so its tough to gauge

Yeah…I don’t know about him but I’m leaning against it.

I am making the assumption that if he did have recruiting ties or a way about him that could generate excitement in a program (fanbase, students, recruits, community)…he would have done better at Tennessee.

I’m sure he can coach…but Bobby can coach…and we need more than a coach.

We need someone that can SELL and CLOSE when it comes to recruiting and generating program excitement.

I just don’t think he has that…based on his flame out at an SEC school. Bruce Pearl did it…why couldn’t Buzz??? And if Buzz couldn’t do it at an SEC school in the SOuth, what makes you think Buzz can do it at an A10 school in the South??

My 3.5 cents.

His Wiki page lists his coaching record. Basically successful at App State, Tulsa (NIT champs), and Coastal Carolina. A bust at Tennessee.

Wikipedia.org: Buzz Peterson

[quote=“run49er, post:3, topic:22802”]His Wiki page lists his coaching record. Basically successful at App State, Tulsa (NIT champs), and Coastal Carolina. A bust at Tennessee.

Wikipedia.org: Buzz Peterson[/quote]

But Tennessee is the one place he had to be more than a coach.

The talent levels at those other schools were in leagues where he didn’t need a certain calibre of recruit. He can coach when the playing field is level.

Tennessee…he needed better players and it looks like he couldn’t get them even with a conference like the SEC and a program like Tennessee to leverage.

That’s what worries me here.

We need him to recruit a better player than he was getting at his successful stops where coaching really is more important than recruiting (because of the lack of despairity in talent level in those low-mid tiered leagues).

Again…just my opinion.

I am not on the Buzz bandwagon, but I also think that you grow and develop as a coach. Some of the things that a young Buzz did but didn’t work, he may do differently now. One problem for a coach is even when you learn something it is often another year before you can put it into practice.

i am not a fan of buzz peterson. he sucked at tennessee and i dont think he wants to stay at one job for very long. im worried that the administration is seriously considering him.

[quote=“metro, post:1, topic:22802”]I think he is a real possibility here. Part of me is curious if his evil empire ties could help us (I am sure MJ would help him and our players would have nba access) and the other half of me wants no part of uncch and I would need to hold my nose for a while if he comes and he would need to quickly learn this is not unc-c but “Charlote.”

App is never going to be a hoops school so its tough to gauge[/quote]

Buzz didn’t do well at Tennesee. I heard horror stories from UT fans about their time with Buzz. Maybe he’s changed and improved, I don’t know. My first instinct is a complete no to him but maybe he’s gotten better, who knows. He’s done well at App so maybe he could succeed here.

So he did OK at the mid majors and sucked at a big time program… no thanks.

No interest in Buzz. Has not done much anywhere he’s been other than App. Did nothing at UT in spite of all the resources and talent in the world.

No desire for a retread.

61-59 at UT with 2 NIT appearances, with talent (mostly inherited) like Ron Slay, Jon Higgins, CJ Watson, Scooter McFagdon, Brandon Crump, Chris Lofton, Major Wingate and Andre Patterson.

He did bring in Wingate (who we were looking at), Lofton, and Jejuan Smith. And I believe he got Patterson to transfer in.

I said the other day he would be a good fit, and I think that is who we are going to hire, has strong ties to Charlotte, and would be a good recruiter. Just my two cents worth.

Buzz doesn’t excite me much either. There is a chance he could wind up being good here, but I think there are much better candidates out there IMO.

If Buzz came here, this would be the 10th stop on his coaching career that began in 1987.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:4, topic:22802”][quote=“run49er, post:3, topic:22802”]His Wiki page lists his coaching record. Basically successful at App State, Tulsa (NIT champs), and Coastal Carolina. A bust at Tennessee.

Wikipedia.org: Buzz Peterson[/quote]

But Tennessee is the one place he had to be more than a coach.

The talent levels at those other schools were in leagues where he didn’t need a certain calibre of recruit. He can coach when the playing field is level.

Tennessee…he needed better players and it looks like he couldn’t get them even with a conference like the SEC and a program like Tennessee to leverage.

That’s what worries me here.

We need him to recruit a better player than he was getting at his successful stops where coaching really is more important than recruiting (because of the lack of despairity in talent level in those low-mid tiered leagues).

Again…just my opinion.[/quote]
I lived in Knoxville from '87-89 and I can tell you that UT hasn’t played much decent men’s basketball up there in a lifetime. Don DeVoe was there when I was–loser. Then they hired Wade Houston, an asst at Louisville who brought his son Allen with him and still lost until they fired him. Next was Kevin O’Neill–three years of being losers. They brought in Jerry Green who turned it around and had four good years before he quit and turned it over to Buzz who was really no worse than all but Green. Of course this means he was a loser. Only Bruce Pearl has been able to really make it happen there. This has always baffled me because they have tons of money, great fans, a great conference, and no competition for entertainment dollars. It should be an easy job but apparently not.

The only choice I have heard worse than him is Doherty.

[quote=“metro, post:1, topic:22802”]I think he is a real possibility here. Part of me is curious if his evil empire ties could help us (I am sure MJ would help him and our players would have nba access) and the other half of me wants no part of uncch and I would need to hold my nose for a while if he comes and he would need to quickly learn this is not unc-c but “Charlote.”

App is never going to be a hoops school so its tough to gauge[/quote]

Obviously, I’d like to see him stay at App. I think he’s got a good thing going here and although we’re never going to be a hoops school there is potential for some success.

As far as coaching goes, he took a team this year that lost to a D-II school and was very inconsistent to twenty wins and six points away from going to the Big Dance. He’s got a very fiery coaching style and I think the mid-season turnaround showed that though it may take them awhile to get it, he can send a message to the players.

As far as recruiting goes, it appears that he’s got a solid class coming in next year for App, so I don’t think that would be an issue.

His track record shows that he looks for the next best thing, and I don’t anticipate him staying in Boone for more than five years. But, having already bolted for greener pastures once and in large part failing, I’m curious to see if he’s content with where he’s at. That being said, I don’t see him leaving ASU after just one season, but stranger things have happened.

What if we went for the DII coach that beat him on his home floor?

What has he ever done to make you think he would be a good recruiter.

That’s my primary concern.

If he couldn’t pull in players at Tennessee…why do you think he could here??

Some people point to his relationship with Mike. Just because he’s best buds with Mike doesn’t mean Mike would help US with recruiting.

I was at UT Law in the late 90s. I came in when Kevin O’Neill was there.

O’Neill and his successors were able to bring in McD’s AA level talent to varying extents, but none of them were really able to win, outside of Green, who really wasnt that great of a coach but had the most talented rosters (including one heck of a headcase PG).

Bobby Lutz beat UT’s best team in the NCAA tournament.

Buzz was one fo the weaker recruiters and had very little success.

It took Bruce Pearl to really wake that program up.

What we really need is the next Bruce Pearl. He came in and instantly energized that program and got the community behind him.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:18, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz beat UT’s best team in the NCAA tournament.

Buzz was one fo the weaker recruiters and had very little success.

It took Bruce Pearl to really wake that program up.

What we really need is the next Bruce Pearl. He came in and instantly energized that program and got the community behind him.[/quote]

GO FIGURE…I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH NA!!!

Everything above…D.O.B.A.

Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Not much better than we had.