12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Not much better than we had.[/quote]

Completely different level of competiton, and Lutz’s #s are skewed due to his decline which lead to his firing.

The idea of Buzz Peterson as our next coach gets me about as excited as looking at Bulldog Diva.

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Buzz (for all but his UT years) has done it in much weaker leagues than Bobby has.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:21, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Completely different level of competiton, and Lutz’s #s are skewed due to his decline which lead to his firing.

The idea of Buzz Peterson as our next coach gets me about as excited as looking at Bulldog Diva.[/quote]

How are Lutz’s numbers skewed? Are you saying he would of had more wins if he hadn’t had as many losses?

Level of competition is different but you have to think the level of talent (both playing for and against) is different also. In another words, Bobby was working with better talent based on that increased competition.

Just giving figures. If you can coach, you can coach.

[quote=“919R, post:22, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Buzz (for all but his UT years) has done it in much weaker leagues than Bobby has.[/quote]

Again, you would assume with much weaker talent.

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:23, topic:22802”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:21, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

The idea of Buzz Peterson as our next coach gets me about as excited as looking at Bulldog Diva.[/quote]

How are Lutz’s numbers skewed? Are you saying he would of had more wins if he hadn’t had as many losses?

Level of competition is different but you have to think the level of talent (both playing for and against) is different also. In another words, Bobby was working with better talent based on that increased competition.

Just giving figures. If you can coach, you can coach.[/quote]

I am saying Lutz was kept around too long, which is why his career record doesn’t look as good. Buzz has yet to get to that point because he bounces jobs too quick or he doesn’t have enough success to be kept around.

Nothing he has done proves to me he can coach on the level we need.

And Buzz did this playing against the likes of Elon and the Citadel in conference play.

We can do much better than Buzz.

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Ouch

IMO- and I am not endorsing him just objectively looking at it- he would have a better situation here because he is a unc guy in a unc town, access to mj/bobcats and I suspect we would get a ton of recruiting help

I think the unc alum, media, support and money here would not allow him to fail- to a degree

At App and UT those factors don’t exist

I’ve stated this elsewhere, but I am a UT grad (but big Niner fan) and was there all four years Buzz was the HC. You could hear a pin drop in Thompson-Boling during his years there- nobody cared. Honestly, he would be a step down in intelligence from Bobby, and he’s not all that fiery either. But a really good guy to be sure.

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:23, topic:22802”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:21, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Agreed…but can he recruit the calibre of players we need here to compete against the BCS teams?

That’s what we need. A coach that can recruit a high level player.

He couldn’t do that at Tennessee.

At least Lutz recruited well enough to get that type of record against a better quality opponent. Lutz’ record was against mig-high major D1 opponents based on the Conference affiliation during the bulk of that time. Buzz accumulated his record against lesser quality .

Maybe apples to apples in terms of coaching ability…but not necessarily recruiting.

And we need someone who can recruit their ass off here!!

Ouch

IMO- and I am not endorsing him just objectively looking at it- he would have a better situation here because he is a unc guy in a unc town, access to mj/bobcats and I suspect we would get a ton of recruiting help

I think the unc alum, media, support and money here would not allow him to fail- to a degree

At App and UT those factors don’t exist[/quote]

I agree with this. I am not exactly a champion of the Buzz coaching here group, but I can recognize that he would bring certain things to the table.

What has he ever done to make you think he would be a good recruiter.

That’s my primary concern.

If he couldn’t pull in players at Tennessee…why do you think he could here??

Some people point to his relationship with Mike. Just because he’s best buds with Mike doesn’t mean Mike would help US with recruiting.[/quote]

His ties with MJ and the local NBA team are the few things going for him. That COULD help with recruiting. Otherwise, the only other positive would be his name recognition with the community due to his Hole days and Bobcats days.

I’ll pass.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:23, topic:22802”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:21, topic:22802”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:20, topic:22802”]Bobby Lutz
12 years
218-158
Avg- 18-13

Buzz Peterson
11 years
221-145
Avg- 20-13

Agreed…but can he recruit the calibre of players we need here to compete against the BCS teams?

That’s what we need. A coach that can recruit a high level player.

He couldn’t do that at Tennessee.

At least Lutz recruited well enough to get that type of record against a better quality opponent. Lutz’ record was against mig-high major D1 opponents based on the Conference affiliation during the bulk of that time. Buzz accumulated his record against lesser quality .

Maybe apples to apples in terms of coaching ability…but not necessarily recruiting.

And we need someone who can recruit their a** off here!![/quote]

We agree. Wasn’t trying to thread hijack. Just pointing out that I think we could do better than Buzz. He does not create the buzz (pun intended) we need.

Ouch

I see what you are saying and I could see our administration looking at it that way, however I think it would be a mistake.

I think the idea that the unc-ch connections will help get people in the city excited or interested isn’t as true as people make it. I mean the Bobcats have MJ, Larry Brown, and have drafted a number of tar heels, yet their attendance and following are still relatively weak.

If he had a more successful track record I don’t think it would be a terrible idea, but I’d rather have kept Lutz than hire Buzz and I have been off the Bobby bandwagon for a while.

I agree a Pearl type persona is needed- it infects you with that much charisma- maybe our new coach could teach our undertaker/chancelor some people skills

Ouch

Not sure I can even type this but I am going to try.

Metro… makes… some… great… points here that I previously had not considered.

Buzz Peterson… :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

NICE ONE GUYS!!! I thought you wanted to “move forward” with the program…PATHETIC

Ha! nice

[quote=“ninerdad101, post:36, topic:22802”]Buzz Peterson… :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

NICE ONE GUYS!!! I thought you wanted to “move forward” with the program…PATHETIC[/quote]
if u had read this thread you would see that most of us are not in favor of buzz as head coach.

[quote=“ninerdad101, post:36, topic:22802”]Buzz Peterson… :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

NICE ONE GUYS!!! I thought you wanted to “move forward” with the program…PATHETIC[/quote]
Mrs. Lutz,

There is no need to be bitter. Your husband is a good man and will land on his feet. Also, he is coming out a 13 year gig with a pretty good buyout.

Sometimes change can be good for all parties involved.

Thanks

No thank you.