buzz peterson

Ouch

IMO- and I am not endorsing him just objectively looking at it- he would have a better situation here because he is a unc guy in a unc town, access to mj/bobcats and I suspect we would get a ton of recruiting help

I think the unc alum, media, support and money here would not allow him to fail- to a degree

At App and UT those factors don’t exist[/quote]
I think the idea that the unc-ch connections will help get people in the city excited or interested isn’t as true as people make it. I mean the Bobcats have MJ, Larry Brown, and have drafted a number of tar heels, yet their attendance and following are still relatively weak.[/quote]

He would get the South Charlotte and Myers Park movers and shakers excited enough to stroke a check. Do not ever underestimate the Chapel Hill pull in the City of Charlotte. We have buildings on our campus named after Chapel Hill grads. If you ever doubt the Chapel pull in Myers Park / South Charlotte look in the Carolina Living section of the Observer on Sunday’s and see how many debutante and wedding announcements are from Chapel Hill grads and see where they went to High School and you will see the coorelation. Probably 70% are South Charlotte / Myers Park area grads who went to Chapel Hill.

I have been trying to tell you guys since Monday that this has momentum and makes sense in so many ways except on court performance but was pretty much shot down as a stupid idea and Buzz as a retread. I am sure if Buzz comes he will be set up with a pretty nice staff.

Our Administration wants a hand shaking, fund raising, show him around town Coach.

-Buzz gets the ACC / Chapel Hill / influence going and the media will love that

-He also gets to be paraded around town and tells the money people the old Chapel Hill / MJ war stories they all laugh and slap him on the back as one of their own then he asks for a check to get that same type of tradition started around Charlotte.

-He also still has his house in Charlotte and is kids are in school here and he is still driving to Boone everyday. He wants to coach but loves living in Charlotte.

• He brings a recruit in and just happens to stop by and see the Bobcats and gets a quick word in with Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown and happens to see MJ walking down the hall and says hello. Pretty good impression to the kid as he is telling him I know the in and outs of the NBA and what it will take to get you there.

I am not saying he will be the next Coach but this is what I imagine is running thru more than one head in the Dept. Also never discount how Chapel Hill takes care of their own and if he is brought in for an interview Dean Smith and Larry Brown will both be on the phone to the decision makers making a case for him.

What he did at UT is a complete different situation than what he will have here in Chapel Hill West and you guys do realize what the acromym you given to our current Chancellor.

Ouch

IMO- and I am not endorsing him just objectively looking at it- he would have a better situation here because he is a unc guy in a unc town, access to mj/bobcats and I suspect we would get a ton of recruiting help

I think the unc alum, media, support and money here would not allow him to fail- to a degree

I think the idea that the unc-ch connections will help get people in the city excited or interested isn’t as true as people make it. I mean the Bobcats have MJ, Larry Brown, and have drafted a number of tar heels, yet their attendance and following are still relatively weak.[/quote]

He would get the South Charlotte and Myers Park movers and shakers excited enough to stroke a check. Do not ever underestimate the Chapel Hill pull in the City of Charlotte. We have buildings on our campus named after Chapel Hill grads. If you ever doubt the Chapel pull in Myers Park / South Charlotte look in the Carolina Living section of the Observer on Sunday’s and see how many debutante and wedding announcements are from Chapel Hill grads and see where they went to High School and you will see the coorelation. Probably 70% are South Charlotte / Myers Park area grads who went to Chapel Hill.

I have been trying to tell you guys since Monday that this has momentum and makes sense in so many ways except on court performance but was pretty much shot down as a stupid idea as a retread. I am sure if Buzz comes he will be set up with a pretty nice staff. Our Administration wants a hand shaking, fund raising, show him around town Coach.

-He also gets to be paraded around town and tells the money people the old Chapel Hill / MJ war stories they all laugh and slap him on the back as one of their own then he asks for a check to ge that same type of tradition started around Charlotte.

-He also still has his house in Charlotte and is kids are in school here and he is still driving to Boone everyday. He wants to coach but loves living in Charlotte.

• He brings a recruit in and just happens to stop by and see the Bobcats and gets a quick word in with Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown and happens to see MJ walking down the hall and says hello. Pretty good impression to the kid as he is telling him I know the in and outs of the NBA and what it will take to get you there.

I am not saying he will be the next Coach but this is what I imagine is running thru more than one head in the Dept. Also never discount how Chapel Hill takes care of their own and if he is brought in Dean Smith and Larry Brown will both be on the phone to the decision makers making a case for him.

What he did at UT is a complete different situation than what he will have here in Chapel Hill West and you guys do realize what the acromym you gave to our current Chancellor.[/quote]

Hiring him they will sign checks just to keep us mediocre…

If you get enough people writing checks it is hard to stay mediocre…

Ouch

I have been trying to tell you guys since Monday that this has momentum and makes sense in so many ways except on court performance but was pretty much shot down as a stupid idea and Buzz as a retread. I am sure if Buzz comes he will be set up with a pretty nice staff.

Our Administration wants a hand shaking, fund raising, show him around town Coach.

-He also gets to be paraded around town and tells the money people the old Chapel Hill / MJ war stories they all laugh and slap him on the back as one of their own then he asks for a check to get that same type of tradition started around Charlotte.

I am not saying he will be the next Coach but this is what I imagine is running thru more than one head in the Dept. Also never discount how Chapel Hill takes care of their own and if he is brought in for an interview Dean Smith and Larry Brown will both be on the phone to the decision makers making a case for him.

What he did at UT is a complete different situation than what he will have here in Chapel Hill West and you guys do realize what the acromym you given to our current Chancellor.[/quote]
do u really think any of this is going to happen. mj is not going to stop by to meet recruits. all this will say is that we are taking a coaching reject/carolina grad.

Ouch

What he did at UT is a complete different situation than what he will have here in Chapel Hill West and you guys do realize what the acromym you given to our current Chancellor.[/quote]

I think you’re DOBA.

We will never pull enough $$$ to make a bad coach good.

Ouch

I see what you are saying and I could see our administration looking at it that way, however I think it would be a mistake.

I think the idea that the unc-ch connections will help get people in the city excited or interested isn’t as true as people make it. I mean the Bobcats have MJ, Larry Brown, and have drafted a number of tar heels, yet their attendance and following are still relatively weak.

If he had a more successful track record I don’t think it would be a terrible idea, but I’d rather have kept Lutz than hire Buzz and I have been off the Bobby bandwagon for a while.[/quote]

Yeah that’s kind of my feeling too and I think we needed a coaching change but it’s with Buzz Peterson, gah!

Do not think he will leave ASU after only one season. They waited on him to make up his mind, so this would be pretty low after one season.

Ouch

You make some valid points but reading that makes me want to puke. I don’t want to become some sort of Chapel Hill JV team.

DO. NOT. WANT.

And boy does that ever relegate us to exactly that status. The minor league affiliate of the so called real show.

Turns my stomach.

He’d better be able to bring in cash and recruits by the truckload. Otherwise that is the worst case of “you’ll take what we feel like giving you” that I’ve seen outside of the crap we take from the state in terms of our woeful per student funding.

I get what you guys are saying, but I hate Duke as much as UNC-Ch and some of you want Wojo.

Hell, let’s just get completely off the ACC’s jock and take Mullins off Halton’s walls.

I’m not advocating Buzz, but I don’t think he’s as bad as some of you are making out. If you’re waiting for Bob Knight to walk through the door, let me know where you’re waiting so I can bring you a 6 pk- it’s going to be a while.

I second this.

I second this.[/quote]thirded

Good grief. I read one post and think hire him now! I read another and I say no way. :-\

I agree with Metro and Showdawg, I am open to the idea!

I am as well - the biggest thing is I hope that we can all agree to support whoever the new coach is, even if you have them pretty far down on your list.

TSD I see what you are saying, but I think we need to bring in someone based purely on coaching/recruiting ability… not someone with UNC connections in lame attempt to get in the pockets of the UNC alumni int his area.

Bring in a coach that can win some games and put us in the postseason and the crowds and donations will follow. We are a young school with a rapidly growing alumni base… we don’t need to try to piggyback on another school’s success.

I’m not 100% against him, but I think there are a lot of better options out there.

D.O.B.A.

If the best case to be made for hiring him is “We can tap into the Tarheel Charlotte market”…then FUCK NO!!!

We are trying to step OUT of that shadow…not dive right in. Plus…who’s to say that catering to the local Tarheel contingent is good for OUR business anyway.

Isn’t that why everyone makes fun of Chapel Hill Phil?? Hasn’t he catered to “The Establishment” and played nice in an effort to get our share…and yet we continue to get pissed on?!

Seriously…if the best reason you can think of to bring him in is what MIGHT happen because of his Tarheel ties in the Charlotte market…then there is NO reason to hire him now.

We need to get the Charlotte community excited about Charlotte 49er basketball…not beg for the scraps of the Charlotte Tarheel market.

Damn.

I want him less now!!!

There’s one thing for sure with Buzz Peterson. He’s going to get recruits and a good face for the program. While I think that’s two important qualities in looking for a coach, I believe we had the same exact thing with Bobby Lutz. He could get recruits, and was a good representative for the university. Unfortunately, his X’s an O’s and defensive philosophy was the one that did him in.

Get a good coach X’s and O’s wise. A proven winner who can do it with even mediocre talent. Go get Brad Brownell. Unfortunately, the reason Brownell left UNCW was because he couldn’t get along with the administration. I have a feeling Judy Rose doesn’t want someone in here that potentially could put a fight when he doesn’t agree with something.