Byron Dinkins

Let’s start off with someone who I know little about but who is sure to get some attention from those who do. Here’s what I found researching:

[SIZE=3]Wikipedia page:[/SIZE]

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Dinkins[/URL]

[SIZE=3]Basketpedya page (which has us listed incorrectly):[/SIZE]

[URL]http://www.basketpedya.com/Acc002InfJug.php?idjug=650&idioma=3[/URL]

[SIZE=3]Records (Career):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Total points: 1,657 (9th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Field goals Made: 636 (8th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]20-Point Games: 32 (7th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Assists: 513 (2nd place, behind Keith Williams)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Double-Figure Games: 81 (Tied 10th place with Kevin King)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Minutes Played: 3,297 (9th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Records (Single Season):[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Points: 622, 1987-1988 (6th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Scoring Average: 21.5, 1987-1988 (7th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Field Goals Made: 236, 1987-1988 (7th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Assists: 207, 1988-1989 (2nd place behind Sean Colson, 1997-1998)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Three Points Field Goald Percentage: .451, 1987-1988 (6th place)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Honors:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1987-1988:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3rd team All-American (Basketball Weekly)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]4th team All-American (Basketball Times)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Honorable Mention All-American (AP, UPI, Sporting News)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt First Team All-League[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt All-Conference[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt Conference Tournament MVP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1988-89:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Honorable Mention All-American (AP, Basketball Weekly, Basketball Times)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Jersey Number 4 retired.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]“The first recruit of the Jeff Mullins Era, Charlotte-native Byron Dinkins helped restore hometown pride in the 49ers program. He led the 1988 49er squad to the NCAA Southeast Regional after capturing the Sun Belt Conference Regular Season and Tournament championships–all firsts for the program since 1977. MVP pf both Sun Belt titles, “The Dink”, a long-distance shooter and lightning-quick point guard with a ball-hawking defensive style, took full advantage of the new NCAA three-point rule and compiled 1657 points, 513 assists, and 139 three-point field goals. He is best remembered for his 37-point uprising in the Sun Belt title-clinching win over UAB on February 25th, 1988. Retired October 16th, 1997.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Career Statistics:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1986: 17 games, 43 field goals made, 9 free throws made, 95 points, average of 5.6 per game[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1987: 32 games, 157 field goals made, 64 free throws made, 431 oints, average of 12.2 game[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1988: 29 games, 236 field goals made, 100 free throws made, 622 points, average of 21.5 per game[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1989: 29 games, 200 field goals made, 73 free throws made, 509 points, average of 17.6 per game[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][B]If you have any information about Dinkins’ career or playing style (as well as any personal stories), please share them. If you have any relevant pictures, please use this Photobucket account (username: Niners4901, password: 40niners) to post them in the thread. If you have any relevant video (or audio), PM TheNinerAlchemist, and I will include them. [/B][/SIZE]

[URL=http://www.unccharlotte.cwc.net/grads/byrondinkins/byron_main.htm][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]Byron Dinkins Page at Charlotte SuperFan Site[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

It was actually Hal Wissel that recruited Dinkins,
Wissel was fired and Mullins was in place when Byron arrived to help
resurrected us from 5-23 hustleball

Anyone have a picture or video of Rex Chapman pushing him out of bounds on a last play? I have no doubt in my mind that he hits that shot and we beat Kentucky on the road (ranked ~ 3?) if he isn’t blatantly pushed. One of the most homer non-calls I’ve ever seen.

That’s why Real renamed the building as Rape Arena.

From a UK fansite…

Speaking of Mullins, he went to on become an All-American and successful college coach. While coaching UNC Charlotte, he even came up against UK in the championship game of the 1987 UKIT, a tight game which was won by Kentucky 84-81, despite a super effort by UNC Charlotte's Byron Dinkins and in part due to a controversial late-game call which found Dinkins pushed out of bounds by a UK player, and called for travelling by the official!

Link: BigBlueHistory.net

[quote=TheNinerAlchemist;395050][SIZE=2]6th place)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Honors:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1987-1988:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]3rd team All-American (Basketball Weekly)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]4th team All-American (Basketball Times)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Honorable Mention All-American (AP, UPI, Sporting News)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sun Belt Conference Tournament MVP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1988-89:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Honorable Mention All-American (AP, Basketball Weekly, Basketball Times)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Jersey Number 4 retired.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]“The first recruit of the Jeff Mullins Era, Charlotte-native Byron Dinkins helped restore hometown pride in the 49ers program. He led the 1988 49er squad to the NCAA Southeast Regional after capturing the Sun Belt Conference Regular Season and Tournament championships–all firsts for the program since 1977. MVP pf both Sun Belt titles, “The Dink”, a long-distance shooter and lightning-quick point guard with a ball-hawking defensive style, took full advantage of the new NCAA three-point rule and compiled 1657 points, 513 assists, and 139 three-point field goals. He is best remembered for his 37-point uprising in the Sun Belt title-clinching win over UAB on February 25th, 1988. Retired October 16th, 1997.”[/SIZE]

First team All High Top Fade. Great player. Put us on the road to recovery.

It was actually Hal Wissel that recruited Dinkins, Wissel was fired and Mullins was in place when Byron arrived to help resurrected us from 5-23 hustleball

Not sure about that. I remember hearing Mullins speak MANY times of Byron being his first signee and being so skinny that he could barely bench press the bar by itself (with no weights on it)! Perhaps Wissel was recruiting him, but I believe Mullins was in place before he actually signed.

It wasn’t Rex Chapman, it was the point guard…who admitted it after the game in an interview. He said he shoved Dink out of bounds and was surprised a foul wasn’t called.

If anyone has any more information about Dinkins, feel free to add it. We are working to get some video of him the Sun Belt tourney up eventually.

[QUOTE=9erken;395083]Anyone have a picture or video of Rex Chapman pushing him out of bounds on a last play? I have no doubt in my mind that he hits that shot and we beat Kentucky on the road (ranked ~ 3?) if he isn’t blatantly pushed. One of the most homer non-calls I’ve ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I have that game as well. What can I say, I’m a collector. That was probably the single worst miscall or whatever you want to call it I have ever seen. Someone called it Rape Arena, I have also heard it called coRUPPt arena as well.
BTW, Dinkins was great!

I should add that the UNCC at Kentucky game is not complete. The channel which carried it had some technical problems during some of the first half, and thus it wasn’t aired.
I believe it was Kentucky guard Ed Davender who pushed Dinkins in the controversial final play.

He is an East Mecklenburg Eagle.

Played on the Charlotte Royals AAU Team

Charlotte vs Kentucky Wildcats (12/19/1987)

http://www.youtube.com/user/49erArchives#p/u/5/tyxCtZOF4rk

byron is in one of the pictures used in the 2011 reunion article on the “official site”.

I quit. I’m flying straight.