Can we still make the tourney????!!!

I was clamouring about us being undefeated on the road, but apparently the BCA Game againt Wyoming is being considered (rightfully, actually) a road game.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;146526]I know weā€™ve played very poorly but I still believe in the words of a former NC State coach. ā€œDonā€™t ever ever give upā€. (I am sure jcl will like this)[/QUOTE]

My fantasty football team this year was living proof of that. I started 1-5 and still won the super bowl. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Max Power;146559]My fantasty football team this year was living proof of that. I started 1-5 and still won the super bowl. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Key word: F-A-N-T-A-S-Y

It is easy to see that the team that beat Rutgers is vastly different than the team we all saw vs Miss. St.

No reason to think that we wonā€™t keep improving either.

I canā€™t help but think that by the end of January we will have made a national statement winning at Dayton, La Salle, St. Joeā€™s and Richmond while beating Xavier, GW, and RI at home.

That would put us with 8 straight wins (if we beat UNCA) and definately in the top 25 with an at large bid a real possibility.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;146581]It is easy to see that the team that beat Rutgers is vastly different than the team we all saw vs Miss. St.

No reason to think that we wonā€™t keep improving either.

I canā€™t help but think that by the end of January we will have made a national statement winning at Dayton, La Salle, St. Joeā€™s and Richmond while beating Xavier, GW, and RI at home.

That would put us with 8 straight wins (if we beat UNCA) and definately in the top 25 with an at large bid a real possibility.[/QUOTE]

I still think this is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too optimistic to be taken seriously.

You mentioned the Rutgers gameā€¦which YESā€¦we played well. But we still BARELY beat Rutgers.

Our 2nd best game of the yearā€¦we BARELY beat Davidsonā€¦at home.

As long as our BAD performances (9)
SUBSTANTIALLY outnumber our GOOD performances (2)

I just canā€™t make myself pretend to believe that things are going to be OK.

AFTER we win 8 straightā€¦I will reconsider my stanceā€¦but until thenā€¦I just canā€™t realistically believe it.

Oopsā€¦ Never mind.

Iā€™m still not ready to make any complete judgements about our team until after we play URI and UNCA.

- After going 6-5 against an EASY non-conference sched. it's a little ridiculous to expect us to all of a sudden go 16-2 or better.

Weā€™ve won 6 of the last 8.

Itā€™s perfectly feasible. Weā€™re better than we were at the start of the season.

[QUOTE=cltniners;146400]clt asks who the hell is unc?

once again, there is no unc.[/QUOTE]

Isnā€™t that us? Thatā€™s what I always hear normal joes call my alma mater.

Of course we can make the big danceā€¦

only if we win the A-10 Tourney or win out. Doesnā€™t look good at this point

conference time is interesting, we will know where we stand quickly.

1st tier - GW, Temple, Xavier and St. Joes
2nd tier - RI, Lasalle, Dayton, Charlotte

We will know quickly where we are in this thing, hopefully at least top of 2nd tier.

conference time is interesting, we will know where we stand quickly.

1st tier - GW, Temple, Xavier and St. Joes
2nd tier - RI, Lasalle, Dayton, Charlotte

We will know quickly where we are in this thing, hopefully at least top of 2nd tier.

That is very true, RI, La Salle, and Dayton are our first three games. Then our next one is vs Xavier. If we win all of those, we are right back in the NCAA tourney picture and weā€™ll have a legitimate shot at winning the conference as well. If we go 3-1 or 2-2, we will have to keep hoping for a conference tourney run. Xavier is my pick to win the conference so I think if we can beat them, weā€™ll be as good as anyone else.

Maybe we got all of our bogus losses out of the way early in the year, ieā€¦ ECU and USF last year

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;146805]
Maybe we got all of our bogus losses out of the way early in the year, ieā€¦ ECU and USF last year[/QUOTE]

Weā€™re better off getting those bogus losses out of the way early instead of late. Letā€™s just donā€™t we have no more of them.

UNCA seemed to be just what we needed. It looked like we did the things we needed to do while also gaining more confidence.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146405]
If we make the NCAA Tourney this yearā€¦Bobby should be given a life-time contract, named NCAA Coach of the Yearā€¦and I will kiss the ass (not on the left sideā€¦not on the right sideā€¦but right in the middle) of every player and coach on the team during halftime of the last home game of the year!!![/QUOTE]

Somebody please write this downā€¦

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]KTown49er[/B] [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?p=146405#post146405][/URL]
[I]If we make the NCAA Tourney this yearā€¦Bobby should be given a life-time contract, named NCAA Coach of the Yearā€¦and I will kiss the ass (not on the left sideā€¦not on the right sideā€¦but right in the middle) of every player and coach on the team during halftime of the last home game of the year!!![/I]
[/QUOTE]

We were preseason top 25 and picked to finish in the top 2 of the A-10 despite losing Eddie and BP. If we make the NCAA Tournament this year, I will consider it nothing more than living up to the expectations of 99.9% of fans, our coaching staff, players and media. Canā€™t say it would justify ā€œCOYā€ considering it would be a complete failure on his part should we not get in. Pretty telling when just getting in carries such high regards considering the preseason projections and predictions for this team.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by KTown49er
If we make the NCAA Tourney this yearā€¦Bobby should be given a life-time contract, named NCAA Coach of the Yearā€¦
[/QUOTE]

Why? He was supposed to make the tournament this season with Withers as a senior.

Instead he has turned it into a nightmare so far and if we were to win the automatic bid all it would show me is that he made things a lot harder than they should have been. That doesnā€™t sound like the coach of the year to me.

[QUOTE=49erpi;146845]Why? He was supposed to make the tournament this season with Withers as a senior.

Instead he has turned it into a nightmare so far and if we were to win the automatic bid all it would show me is that he made things a lot harder than they should have been. That doesnā€™t sound like the coach of the year to me.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

MK was right about that literal stuff.

Letā€™s try this againā€¦

CONSIDERING WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW WITH OUR CURRENT RECORD AND HOW BAD WEā€™VE PLAYED SO FAR,

IF BOBBY CAN TURN THIS SEASON AROUND FROM THIS POINT ONā€¦CONSIDERING THE HOLE WEā€™VE DUGā€¦IT WOULD BE THE GREATEST TURNAROUND OF OUR HISTORYā€¦AND DESERVING OFā€¦(those accolades I mentioned earlier).

Yes. All of that was ā€œsupposedā€ to happen PRIOR to the season. But to take an average team, 12 games into the season, with a bad record against a worse schedule to the NCAA tourney would be something NO coach could do. Even John Wooden, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight and Coach K couldnā€™t turn this season around that abruptlyā€¦so if Lutz does itā€¦

Clearer now?

Wow.

CONSIDERING WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW WITH OUR CURRENT RECORD AND HOW BAD WEā€™VE PLAYED SO FAR,

IF BOBBY CAN TURN THIS SEASON AROUND FROM THIS POINT ONā€¦CONSIDERING THE HOLE WEā€™VE DUGā€¦IT WOULD BE THE GREATEST TURNAROUND OF OUR HISTORYā€¦AND DESERVING OFā€¦(those accolades I mentioned earlier).

Yes. All of that was ā€œsupposedā€ to happen PRIOR to the season. But to take an average team, 12 games into the season, with a bad record against a worse schedule to the NCAA tourney would be something NO coach could do. Even John Wooden, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight and Coach K couldnā€™t turn this season around that abruptlyā€¦so if Lutz does itā€¦

Clearer now?

Hereā€™s to optimism.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;146849]Hereā€™s to optimism.[/QUOTE]

or realism.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146846]Wow.

Clearer now?[/QUOTE]

Not really.

And capitalization loses itā€™s effectiveness when used every other word.