Can we still make the tourney????!!!

niner007, my intention wasnt to disagree with you, just giving my assesment. Iā€™m not on anyoneā€™s side, but I dont see why everyone attacked ktown.

See K townā€™s reply to my fist post attacking my example of the Tarheelsā€¦

You must not know anything about marketing....

Why did the Bobcats go for so many Tarheelsā€¦There a brand nameā€¦
Why didnā€™t Eddie get drafted after being CUSA player of the year and defensive player of the yearā€¦while other potential POY did get draftedā€¦

You must know nothing of reading comprehensionā€¦

Marketing might have had something to do with why the Bobcats pick up a Tarheel. I did not dispute that. But the reasons these guys are first round draftpicks in general are because they are good enough to be, no matter if they played for the Tarheels or not.

Are you telling me that if the Bobcats did not pick them up or if these player had played for another team in college, they would not have been a first round pick?

Sounds like the voice of experience...perhaps thats why your so pessimistic

Why would you say this?

Thank you...My point made..

I was thinking the other dayā€¦ I remember when this boardā€¦well the old CUSA Talk board was filled with intellegent posters that were true niner fans. Somewhere along the wayā€¦ mostly in the last 2 successful years weā€™ve picked up a lot of half ass fansā€¦Seems most of them are showing there colors now. I never really get into it on this muchā€¦but damn itā€¦iā€™m sick of some of you guys. Get over your pitty. Ya we had high expectations for our team this year. Thats not good reason to dogg our program. My point in the previous post is that we have talent, We have a good coach, and we have a good program. All teams experience the troubles that we areā€¦as in the case of the tarheel example. It doesnā€™t really matter if we have national championship talent or how fā€™n many 1st round draft picks we may or may not have. The point is we have the talent to do much bettter than we are.

Ok, attention to all new posters. Please line up so Niner007 can decide who is an intelligent poster and a true niner fan. Once decided by the all knowing Niner007, if you were put in the ā€œhalf assā€ category, please get off the board because Niner007 is sick of you guys. And on the way out, try not to show your true colors, because Niner007 will see them and tell you to get over your pity. (All knowing Niner007 spelled pity ā€œpittyā€, therefore the official spelling of pity is pitty from this point forward)

Disclaimer: In the writing of this post, there was no sarcasm intended.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;146448]Our RPI SOS will only go up from here on out. According to the Pomerory ratings, our SOS is 69th. And our Non-Conf SOS is 72nd.[/QUOTE]
Forget the Pomery Ranking and look at the Pomeroy RPI & SOS, which currently is 137 and 134. I would be shocked to see the 49ers break into the top 100.

[B]Temple, 6-3,[/B] RPI 27, SOS 29
[B]La Salle, 7-1,[/B] RPI 43, SOS 157
[B]Saint Josephā€™s,[/B] 4-3, RPI 54, SOS 28
[B]George Washington, 8-0,[/B] RPI 69, SOS 299
[B]Saint Louis, 5-5,[/B] RPI 84, SOS 52
[B]Xavier, 6-2,[/B] RPI 91, SOS 196
[B]Massachusetts, 5-3,[/B] RPI 103, SOS 122
[B]Rhode Island, 6-4,[/B] RPI 108, SOS 83
[B]Dayton, 7-5,[/B] RPI 118, SOS 99
[COLOR=Green][B]Charlotte, 6-5, RPI 137, SOS 134[/B][/COLOR]
[B]Saint Bonaventure,[/B] 6-4, RPI 196 SOS 300
[B]Fordham, 3-7,[/B] RPI 234, SOS 207
[B]Richmond, 5-6,[/B] RPI 240, SOS 228
[B]Duquesne, 2-7,[/B] RPI 306, SOS 245

Coppin State, 0-9, RPI 204, SOS 12
Northwestern, 5-4, RPI 106, SOS 104
Wyoming, 5-5, RPI 223, SOS 212
Mississippi State, 9-3, RPI 197, SOS 315
Georgia State, 2-6, RPI 219, SOS 59
Portland, 5-6, RPI 236, SOS 241
Davidson, 4-3, RPI 15, SOS 9
Louisiana Lafayette, 3-6, RPI 208, SOS 169
Valparaiso, 4-4, RPI 102, SOS 130
Indiana, 7-2, RPI 26, SOS 36
Rutgers, 8-3, RPI 74, SOS 100
[B]UNC Asheville, 1-5,[/B] RPI 228, SOS 72
[B]Wake Forest, 9-2,[/B] RPI 76, SOS 149

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;146478]
Are you telling me that if the Bobcats did not pick them up or if these player had played for another team in college, they would not have been a first round pick?[/QUOTE]

quite possibllyā€¦

My point is that College players become household names and it definately impacts there value. Yes all those Tarheels were good players definatly good enough for a first round. But there were plenty more players who were just as good but maybe didnā€™t get that much attention. If there are 60 players worth going in the first round and only 30 spotsā€¦then how do you begin to sift through them? You pick those who will bring the biggest impact to your professional team. For the Bobcats that was pick as many playyers from the Tarheels that aready had a following locally.

Professional Sports is a businessā€¦Their players are their product. While talent is a major part of that players value its not everything. Players bring audiencesā€¦

[QUOTE=niner007;146483]
Professional Sports is a businessā€¦Their players are their product. While talent is a major part of that players value its not everything. Players bring audiencesā€¦[/QUOTE]

Donā€™t forget potential. I think thatā€™s more important than present talent these days.

[QUOTE=VA49er;146486]Donā€™t forget potential. I think thatā€™s more important than present talent these days.[/QUOTE]

Good pointā€¦ such as in Lebron James, etc

quite possiblly....

My point is that College players become household names and it definately impacts there value. Yes all those Tarheels were good players definatly good enough for a first round. But there were plenty more players who were just as good but maybe didnā€™t get that much attention. If there are 60 players worth going in the first round and only 30 spotsā€¦then how do you begin to sift through them? You pick those who will bring the biggest impact to your professional team. For the Bobcats that was pick as many playyers from the Tarheels that aready had a following locally.

Professional Sports is a businessā€¦Their players are their product. While talent is a major part of that players value its not everything. Players bring audiencesā€¦

Players do bring audiences and if the talent is equal from one on the Tarheels and one from another team, then it is like you say. I never said that talent was everything. But specifically, from the 4 Tarheels from the national championship team, they would have been 1st round picks regardless of where they played, in my opinion. There are other teams other than the Bobcats who would have picked these guys up, mainly based on talent.

But you are right that being a household name or playing for the Tarheels does not hurt, I just donā€™t give it as much weight as you do (big factor). I think talent is the main reason anyone gets drafted. You can be a fan favorite and play for a local team, but without talent, like the Chapel Hill players had, you would not get drafted in the first round.

I will let it go now, we just disagree on how much emphasis to put on talent.

An at-large NCAA bid would take nothing less than a miracle at this point. To get in, weā€™d have to win the tourney and with the talent we have now, thatā€™s a huge long shot. Iā€™d be happy with an NIT bid, which we still have a 50-50 shot at getting. Hopefully we can at least make ā€œsome noiseā€ there and maybe win one or two games.

My appologies to K town, BobandEd49er, and anyone else I may have offended. I was a probably a little off bounds by a few of my comments. I guess we are all frustrated.

[QUOTE=niner007;146462]Sounds like the voice of experienceā€¦perhaps thats why your so pessimistic[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the intellect of an immature college kid with the debating skills of a 5th grader.

When you have to resort to personal jabs I will assume that I have made my point and you have no real basis for rebuttal.

All of your points are completely idiotic and ridiculous. Compare our talent to a Natā€™l Championship team again. Or tell us how good we SHOULD be on paper (while disregarding how bad we have played all year which reflects how bad we truly are).

When you want to talk about REAL facts and realityā€¦call me up.

Lookā€¦live in your dreamworldā€¦I could care less. But donā€™t call me a half-ass fan simply because I am smart enough to see through the hype and see the real product in front of me.

A half ass fan doesnā€™t buy priority one season tickets for 10 straight years.

Yes, I am a realist. We donā€™t have a prayer at making the Danceā€¦itā€™s a fact. Sometimes the truth hurts. I can deal with itā€¦apparently you canā€™t.

Bottom line is I can be a fan and be a realistā€¦and itā€™s OK.

You, on the otherhand, can live in your dreamworld and prepare to be disappointedā€¦I could care less. But at the end of the season I might be tempted to throw an ā€œI told you soā€ back at you just so I can be on the same immature playing field as you are.

[QUOTE=niner007;146492]My appologies to K town, BobandEd49er, and anyone else I may have offended. I was a probably a little off bounds by a few of my comments. I guess we are all frustrated.[/QUOTE]

I posted the above post before seeing this.

Apology accepted. We are all frustrated.

I simply choose not to enhance the frustration with continued high and lofty expectations that could lead to even more disappointment and frustration.

I have accepted the fact that weā€™re not very goodā€¦and itā€™s OK.

I still love the Niners either way.

I know you do to. I may not agree with your eternal blind optimism but I do share and appreciate your passion for the team.

I pretty much accepted weeks ago that we are not a very good basketball team.

Can we get better? - Yes
Will we get an at large bid - No

Could we put a few games back-to-back and win the A10 tourny? YES, Lutz has done it before.

I think the ā€œTalentā€ issue is to subjective to debate. It is all relative, but I donā€™t think we have the ā€œTalent Levelā€ that a lot of posters think we have. I could be wrong, but it seems that the older fans realize this and the younger-newer fans are still going off of the pre-season hype.

As of right now I have put on the expectation that we will not make the tourney. By early February we will have a good feel if there is any hope of us getting an auto bid.

It will have to be one HELL of a finish from here on out for us to have a chance at an at-large bid. A-10 Tourney will be huge!!!

My glass is still half full but Iā€™m very worried that it has a leak in it.

I know weā€™ve played very poorly but I still believe in the words of a former NC State coach. ā€œDonā€™t ever ever give upā€. (I am sure jcl will like this)

Interesting RPI facts, we are 2-1 in top 100 games. Also 4-2 road/neutral games.

Our first 6 conference games are against teams with RPIā€™s better than us and better records than us, I bet that it has been a long time since that has happened (early 80ā€™s ?). 3 are home and 3 are on the road. 4-2 probably will place us in the top 100.

Should be good motivation to start conference play.

Can we please stop using the word tarh@@l and refer to them by their true name ā€œthe pale blue ramsā€?