Candidates for MBB Headcoach Not Named Aaron Fearne

It’s still yet to be seen if we will retain Fearne and put him on a big contract or not. Since we have a whole season to Eyeball candidates, it should be fun to talk about potential coaches. I’ll go first:

Griff Aldridge
Longwood Lancers
Overall record 96-73
2022/23 record 20-12
2021/22 record 26-7 NCAA berth
2023/24 record so far 9-1

Kenpom 150
NET 87

Current salary $150K. (stuff like this BTW is why it’s absurd for some to say we don’t have enough money to be successful).

He took a team that only had a single winning season in 2008 since becoming DI in 2004 and turned them around.

Prior to his arrival the school had gone 42-120 under the prior head coach and was coming off of 7, 6, 10, 11, and 8 win seasons.

Griff immediately turns things around going

16-18
15-17
12-17
26-6 first DI NCAA tourney berth in program history
20-12
Currently only has one loss, by four points on the road, to a St. Bonaventure team that’s looking pretty good itself.

If Longwood dances again this year I can’t imagine Griff won’t be a hot commodity. Would love to see what he could do with some resources behind him.

2 Likes

I just don’t want a retread that had success elsewhere then hit the skids and got fired. That would not be an upgrade.

A retread with at least a history of success could be a safer pic than someone with no history.

I don’t mind a retread if they had success at a G5 level and then stepped up and it didn’t work out. Some of the jobs G5 coaches take are really hard to win at.

1 Like

comedy central GIF by Drunk History

2 Likes

Fred Hoiberg is still rumored to be on the hot seat. Maybe if he has another flame out at Nebraska again this year we can hire him and bring back brice williams

Hoiberg? Ha!!! And it’s not a rumor. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No thanks.

Agreed. sometimes the job is just too difficult to win at if that school doesn’t have the history behind it in winning. Nebraska and ole miss come to mind. if the guy had great success in the G5 but took a crappy P5 job and had some issues getting it done with an over demanding administration I might take another flyer on the guy.

although with the transfer portal these days if I’m an AD and I’m about to hire a guy that just got fired. I might ask about how confident he would be in convincing some of his key players to transfer with him to his new job. its possible that that could a useful way to rebuild quickly.

1 Like

No denying Hoiberg had a great run at Iowa State - four consecutive trips to the NCAAT - but flamed out with the Chicago Bulls and his tenure since returning to the collegiate ranks has been underwhelming. If the Huskers lose to a so-so Michigan State tonight in Lincoln and fall to 0-2 in the Big Ten, his seat is definitely going to be warming up - yet again!

Yeah, guys like kelvin Sampson have never revitalized their careers after getting fired for not living up to expectations at high profile jobs.

:roll_eyes:

FWIW, Sampson was fired by Indiana for his off the court actions.

I’d be absolutely fine with an Andy Kennedy, Bobby Cremmins, Cliff Ellis, Steve Fisher type of profile.

I’d almost prefer that. Older guy that can get us set in the right path. The only concern I have with older coach is whoever we bring in has to be able to manage this new world of roster flux and the portal.

1 Like

Takayo Siddle from Wilmington. Not sure if Charlotte would be seen as a large enough step up but he is killing it.

At least with this hire we won’t be paying two coaches at the same time for awhile as we have basically all of our recent basketball hires. Theoretically means we have more money available.

1 Like

Didnt they lose big to app and lose to ecu this season?

They also beat a Top 15 Kentucky team. Their Net and KenPom ratings are lower than ours. Not sure they’ve beat anyone good except kentucky. We’ve had years where get get a random top 25 win and the season still ends up being a throwaway.

I’m also not sure how much better our job is than the UNCW job. It probably pays a little more but they’ve been dancing three times since we have and seem to have similar fan support.

Yep, lost big to App on a neutral court in Florida and let ECU rally for a win in Greenville. But still decent wins at #12 Kentucky and at Big South preseason fav UNCA.

You really think UNCW is THAT close to our job (Colonial AA vs AAC)? I get we are not where we were 20 years ago-----but come on.

1 Like