Can't tailgate until 4 hours before gametime?

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:18, topic:28102ā€]The policy is stupid to begin with. Why would you want to limit your customerā€™s enthusiasm for your product?

If people want to get out there at 6 am and cook some breakfast and take their time setting up their tailgate, why not.

The Noon kick-offs are really the killer, but when we eventually get lights, people are going to want to set up shop all day for a night game on campus.[/quote]

Itā€™s all about fear of liability and fear of the unknown. The best way to get them to relax this policy is for everyone to be safe and stay under control. Repeated blatant violations of the already overbroad policy only reinforce the perception that more rules and stricter enforcement are needed.

Agree with this 100%

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

This policy wonā€™t change unless we force the issue. I know they are worried about drinking, but this is just stupid.[/quote]

To be clear, Iā€™m not saying we shouldnt express our malcontent with the rule. I agree that the 4 hour rule is ridiculous. But I sat in on the meetings with the tailgating committee, and this policy is the result of a lot of fears from a lot of different campus people/groups that needed to be placated somehow. Once they get a few games under their belt where everything runs smoothly, they will start to realize their fears were unfounded and enforcement will relax is my bet.

How long did it take you to get to your parking space at the Spring Game once they opened the gates?

I was the first one in Lot 23 at about 7:50 so there was no line, but it never looked like there were cars backed up. Maybe this game will be different.

[quote=ā€œNugget, post:24, topic:28102ā€]How long did it take you to get to your parking space at the Spring Game once they opened the gates?

I was the first one in Lot 23 at about 7:50 so there was no line, but it never looked like there were cars backed up. Maybe this game will be different.[/quote]

This is a real game, and the spring game you could still get onto campus. Closing the campus entrances promises to really screw up traffic.

I have a massive porch on Mary Alexanderā€¦ Just saying!

Well if campus is closed then just parking on mary alexander shouldnt be a problem.

I have been chatting with pats here is what they had to say:

[size=11px]54m[/size]Any additional info on the closing campus at 7AM and not opening back up until 8AM? This is going to cause a huge traffic problem.

[size=11px]14m[/size]Yes - this may take a few DMs so stick w/me. All entrances close at 7AM so thereā€™s time to prepare for tailgating. -more

[size=11px]13m[/size]Ash bins and trash cans need to put out, cars parking in football and tailgating lots towed, staff put into place, etc. -more

[size=11px]11m[/size]At 8AM, with the color-coded entrance plan in place, we do not anticipate huge bottlenecks. -more

[size=11px]9m[/size]This is part of the traffic/parking/tailgating plan that was agreed upon by an inter-campus Football committee -more

[size=11px]8m[/size]based on recommendation by the Game Day consultants and adopted by the University. There should be no big traffic snarls -more

[size=11px]6m[/size]Who can i bring my concerns to? Based on many of the tailgaters i have talked to and know they will be there early

[size=11px]5m[/size]and what will be the protocol for those that arrive before 8AM?

[size=11px]5m[/size]that will cut into tailgating time. The design and goal is to get people in QUICKLY and -more

[size=11px]4m[/size]also to have campus fully prepared to host tailgating. Only time will tell if the plan will succeed as hoped.

[size=11px]3m[/size]Anyone who comes before 8AM will not be allowed to enter campus.

[size=11px]1m[/size]seems like a high probability of problems - but guess we will see how this works out

[size=11px]2m[/size]Who can you address additional concerns to? I suppose you could write Athletics. -more

[size=11px]1m[/size]and PaTS has no independent power to change anything about the tailgating/traffic policies and plan).

[size=11px]25s[/size]thanks - i will bring it up with athletics!

[size=11px]12s[/size]we all want everything to go as smoothly as possible

[quote=ā€œjfickett, post:23, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

This policy wonā€™t change unless we force the issue. I know they are worried about drinking, but this is just stupid.[/quote]

To be clear, Iā€™m not saying we shouldnt express our malcontent with the rule. I agree that the 4 hour rule is ridiculous. But I sat in on the meetings with the tailgating committee, and this policy is the result of a lot of fears from a lot of different campus people/groups that needed to be placated somehow. Once they get a few games under their belt where everything runs smoothly, they will start to realize their fears were unfounded and enforcement will relax is my bet.[/quote]

Not if people ā€œforce the issueā€, then their fears/concerns will based in fact. If folks are serious about causing issues like what Iā€™m seeing here, they will just tighten up, not relax. If people follow the rules and things go well for a while, then MAYBE they will relax, but it takes only a few to ruin it for everyone, as we all know these days.

[quote=ā€œ49er1, post:28, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œjfickett, post:23, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

To be clear, Iā€™m not saying we shouldnt express our malcontent with the rule. I agree that the 4 hour rule is ridiculous. But I sat in on the meetings with the tailgating committee, and this policy is the result of a lot of fears from a lot of different campus people/groups that needed to be placated somehow. Once they get a few games under their belt where everything runs smoothly, they will start to realize their fears were unfounded and enforcement will relax is my bet.[/quote]

Not if people ā€œforce the issueā€, then their fears/concerns will based in fact. If folks are serious about causing issues like what Iā€™m seeing here, they will just tighten up, not relax. If people follow the rules and things go well for a while, then MAYBE they will relax, but it takes only a few to ruin it for everyone, as we all know these days.[/quote]

Have to walk a fine line. If all we do is what we are told nothing will change. If you become a HUGE problem then their concerns are valid. Have to make sure they know that the policy is stupid and I donā€™t think arriving at 7 or 7:30 is an issue. It just shows that people expected something better. Now if everyone is sitting there getting hammered, well that doesnā€™t help.

[quote=ā€œjfickett, post:23, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

I sat in on 1 of the meetings and told them that restricting the start time of tailgating was a bad idea. They didnā€™t seem to think there was a demand to get there earlier than 4 hours.

Wait until they try the ā€œ4 hour ruleā€ for an evening game.

I wouldnā€™t mind showing up at 8 AM for a 6 PM game.

The above statements about staying in line and eventually the rules will be adjusted is correct.

My only concern is that I dont know how many of the people with tickets understand this ruleā€¦much less students who are going to be up(maybe not even go to bed) and drinking early. I know some people with tickets who are unaware of the rule for whatever reason and without coming to this site I would have never known eitherā€¦

FWIW I think Id be more upset if I didnt know and was towed, moved etc. than I would knowing in advance btwā€¦

[quote=ā€œKSNiner, post:32, topic:28102ā€]The above statements about staying in line and eventually the rules will be adjusted is correct.

My only concern is that I dont know how many of the people with tickets understand this ruleā€¦much less students who are going to be up(maybe not even go to bed) and drinking early. I know some people with tickets who are unaware of the rule for whatever reason and without coming to this site I would have never known eitherā€¦

FWIW I think Id be more upset if I didnt know and was towed, moved etc. than I would knowing in advanceā€¦[/quote]

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:30, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œjfickett, post:23, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

Demand is the only thing thatā€™s going to change it and there has to be enough demand to warrant the additional expense and hassle of staffing an hour earlier.[font=verdana][size=78%] [/size][/font]

I sat in on 1 of the meetings and told them that restricting the start time of tailgating was a bad idea. They didnā€™t seem to think there was a demand to get there earlier than 4 hours.[/quote]

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:30, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œjfickett, post:23, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:20, topic:28102ā€]Yeah I am expecting to get there WAYYYYY early. Wife and kid have a deck pass so the only thing stopping me is my desire for sleep, of which there will prob be none that night because I will be too excited.

I sat in on 1 of the meetings and told them that restricting the start time of tailgating was a bad idea. They didnā€™t seem to think there was a demand to get there earlier than 4 hours.[/quote]

Have they never been to a college football game? Have they never been to a Panther game?

Many of us have already tailgated for 3 or 4 hours for a soccer game on our campus, and we have already tailgated for 3 or 4 hours for more then one basketball game on our campus. Granted, these games did not have noon starts, but a breakfast of beer and doughnuts is hard to beatā€¦ The Breakfast of Champions.

Beer and doughnuts? That sounds like a carb coma :slight_smile:

I was thinking bloody Maryā€™s with eggs and bacon.

[quote=ā€œKSNiner, post:36, topic:28102ā€]Beer and doughnuts? That sounds like a carb coma :slight_smile:

I was thinking bloody Maryā€™s with eggs and bacon.[/quote]Iā€™m with you.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:37, topic:28102ā€][quote=ā€œKSNiner, post:36, topic:28102ā€]Beer and doughnuts? That sounds like a carb coma :slight_smile:

I was thinking bloody Maryā€™s with eggs and bacon.[/quote]Iā€™m with you.[/quote]

Actually, Iā€™ll probably have Bloody Marys with a Bojangles Cajun Fillet Bisquit. Iā€™ve never tailgated with eggs and bacon.

If the whole reasoning behind this restriction is because they need time to set up trash cans etc for the tailgaters, will they accept help? If so, 6am Iā€™m there 7am let the fun begin.

It should not take an hour to set up trash cans. I donā€™t understand why they cannot set them up as people are entering the campus to tailgateā€¦ at 6 or 7am.