CBS Parish Pick 3 Bids for A-10

[QUOTE=run49er;206537]
C) the Charlotte Observer sports section running a front-page piece on the so-called “mid-majors” so that we can get another oppportunity to read about the ACC “crybabies” and why their entire league should be in the NCAA field of 64!
[/QUOTE]

Who remembers the article I pushed for a few years ago about why the acc refused to play us? Mike FINALLY released the article, but it was on the LAST page with a lead in that insinuated “This is for Niner fans only” and pretty much dodged the real issue.

I’ve always been amazed at the way he used to go out of his way to give the perception our games were for students ad grads only, and not the residents of Charlotte.

Now, he is pushing for us to play basketball in the Southern Conference. I guess those acc teams ARE still a little mysteriously worried about us “invading” their territory.

Over40, more on the ACC, mid-majors, etc.

First, a couple of observations from Mike DeCourcy at SportingNews.com:

[b]Brick[/b]: Virginia got clobbered twice in the San Juan Shootout - by Appalachian State and Utah -- and is playing Puerto Rico-Mayaguez for seventh place. The Miami Hurricanes lost a home game to Binghamton. Try not to forget all this on Selection Sunday, when there's an ACC coach squealing about no one understanding how tough it is to go 7-9 in his league.

The only thing more ludicrous than the fact fans pay attention to the polls is that major news organizations use this nonsense to dictate which teams they cover.

Link: SportingNews.com

And this from Grant Wahl at SI.com:

By the way, could someone tell me why Friend of the 'Bag Jay Bilas has suddenly turned into Lou Dobbs on us and gone all one-note against the mid-majors? We've always called Billy Packer the Lord Protector of Big-Conference Mediocrities, but our favorite Hollywood alien is making a push for the title if he thinks it should have been front-page news that Indiana beat Southern Illinois [i]at home[/i]. We still think Bilas is one of the smartest broadcasters out there on most issues, but one of the biggest differences between the high- and mid-majors continues to be where the games are played. When the playing field is leveled and big-conference mediocrities are willing to play mid-majors on the road half the time, [i]then[/i] we can talk.

Link: SI.com

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;206569]Who remembers the article I pushed for a few years ago about why the acc refused to play us? Mike FINALLY released the article, but it was on the LAST page with a lead in that insinuated “This is for Niner fans only” and pretty much dodged the real issue.

[/QUOTE]

Here’s the story Over40 refers to, a Q&A with Bobby, who had interesting things to say but didn’t cut lose with the “they’re scared” quote.

THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER
Q&A
WITH BOBBY LUTZ
Thursday, November 18, 2004
Section: SPORTS
Edition: ONE-THREE
Page: 9C
JENA JANOVY, Staff Writer
Column: Q & A

Illustration: Photo

Caption: 1. DAVID T. FOSTER III - STAFF PHOTO. Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz (center), who grew up in North Carolina, would love to play ACC opponents and is unsure why teams shy away from the 49ers.

The question surfaces every year: Why don’t ACC schools schedule the Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball team for a nonconference game? We went to Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz to talk a little ACC and a little scheduling, and here’s what we heard:

Why do you think teams in the ACC will not play you?

I think you really have to ask them. The last time we played was N.C. State four years ago, and we won (Nov. 18, 2000, 95-78 at N.C. State). It was the team that went to the NCAA tournament, and I don’t think we hurt N.C. State’s RPI, but we did beat them.

Everybody has to do what they think is best for their program.

Do you think they are afraid of losing or there is some trepidation there?

I would understand that 10 years ago, when Charlotte was not a consistent NCAA tournament team, because then if they lose it hurts them.

We’re not talking about North Carolina and Duke and Maryland. Those programs over the past six or eight years, they’re not afraid to play anybody. And we definitely, in my opinion, would gain more from playing them than they would from playing us.

But I think the Clemsons and even Wake Forest, although they’re making a breakthrough now, but anybody else in that league I think we should be perceived as a good game because we’re going to have a high RPI because of our schedule. And it’s certainly a winnable game for them, and a high RPI game for them.

I distinguish between the top three in the ACC because of what they have done, but the rest of the ACC, none of those other programs have been to the tournament more than we have over that period of time. Wake Forest could be comparable to us in terms of NCAA appearances, but over the last six to eight years, from our perspective, it would be a good game because of where our RPI is and where Conference USA is.

I would doubt they’re afraid.

Have you attempted to schedule ACC schools?

We haven’t directly talked to Duke or North Carolina of late, but we’ve mentioned it and have had talks in the past and I think they know anytime they’d want to play us in some type of arrangement we would do it. Duke and North Carolina and Maryland, because of what they’ve done, I would play 2-for-1 - we would go there twice if they would come see us once. They’ve earned that. But the other schools, I’ve got to do what’s best for our program, so it would be 1-for-1 with the other schools because I think our program stacks up with the track records of those other schools.

N.C. State, we called them every time an e-mail came this year that said they needed games and let them know we’d be glad to play. Clemson knows. Wake Forest knows. We’ve talked to Virginia. I’ve corresponded with Fred Barakat, the (ACC) associate commissioner (for men’s basketball), and let him know any time a team is looking for a game, we’re available. That’s a standing situation.

If it were possible, how soon could you get an ACC team scheduled?

We have only one game left for next year, but past 2005-06 we have plenty of opportunities.

Do you talk to coaches directly about this, or do you have an assistant who handles it?

A little of both. I truly respect that everybody has to do what’s best for them, so I’m not pushy with it. I’ll let them know we’d love to play, but again, it’s not something I talk about every time I see them. They’re always respectful. They’re great coaches and great guys in that league, and they’re always saying we’ll consider it, but to this point nothing has happened.

Do Niners fans ask you about this all the time?

Sure. I grew up in North Carolina, and the ACC has earned everything it gets. If it’s not the best league in the country, it’s certainly one of the best and it’s only natural our fans are proud of what we’ve started to accomplish, and they want to measure up against the ACC, so naturally I hear about it a lot. And Judy (Rose, athletics director) does, too.

We attempt to schedule the best teams we can schedule. We’d love for it to be ACC teams, but our fans probably dwell on it more than we do.

How high on the list of priorities is scheduling, and scheduling an ACC team in particular?

Scheduling is probably the most frustrating facet of our jobs. Recruiting is difficult, but there is nothing I like less in my duties than scheduling because it’s so difficult at Charlotte to schedule who we’d like to schedule.

Having said that, I don’t worry about the ACC schools playing us or not playing us. I worry about getting the best schedule I can. We play a tough nonconference schedule that prepares us for our league and puts us in position to get at-large bids if we don’t win the league tournament. We play Alabama and Indiana and teams that are going to be in the top 100 RPI - games that are tougher than the average fan understands.

Will leaving Conference USA and joining the Atlantic 10 next season make scheduling more difficult?

I don’t see why it would. The A-10 had two teams in the Elite Eight last year. We’re always going to be in the top 100 RPI, at worst, and we’re going to continue to be an attractive opponent.

There was also this front-page story, which led with the same topic:

THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER
49ERS, DEACONS CAN BE THANKFUL
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Section: SPORTS
Edition: ONE-THREE
Page: 1C
SCOTT FOWLER, Staff Writer
Column: SCOTT FOWLER - IN MY OPINION

Dateline: WINSTON-SALEM

Charlotte hardly ever gets chances like this.

ACC schools won’t play the 49ers. It’s ridiculous, really. In coach Bobby Lutz’s 11 years at Charlotte as either the head coach or an assistant, the 49ers have been able to schedule exactly three regular-season games against ACC teams.

So Saturday’s Wake Forest game was “rare air,” as Lutz said, for the 49ers. They finally had an ACC team on the schedule. So the 49ers constituted one of the few groups ecstatic to be on the slick roads Saturday.

They had an opportunity.

They flubbed it.

Wake Forest, the worst team in the ACC so far this season, edged Charlotte 59-56 in an unsightly game that contained two of the worst officiating calls I’ve seen this season.

It was hard-fought basketball. It was nasty basketball. Charlotte shot 28 percent and still had two 3-point attempts to tie the game at the end - both of which bricked.

Wake Forest shot almost 39 percent, committed 22 turnovers against a good press, got a horrendous game from all-star guard Justin Gray, and still won.

Bernard Clinton influenced the game by whiffing on a couple of huge calls. In the final six minutes, Clinton erroneously tabbed both Charlotte’s Curtis Withers and Wake Forest’s Gray for offensive fouls. Those whistles - both should have been no-calls - fouled out the game’s best players and closest friends.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I always like the way your come on her PRETENDING to be our friend and then always stir up trouble with one of your patented cheap shots. At times, I think you’re the one that gives David Poole lessons, not to mention giving him ammunition for the talk show.

So, what’s your real motive for pushing for us to play basketball in the Southern Conference?

What’s your REAL reason for articles that constantly PROMOTE the acc and our sister school in chapel hill? Yes, I used the term “PROMOTE”, not “COVER”.

we are thankful…we are…

thanks for letting us play you acc…we will go back to our little city and wait for the next opprotunity!

God bless you Mike DeCourcey!

[QUOTE]Brick: Virginia got clobbered twice in the San Juan Shootout - by Appalachian State and Utah – and is playing Puerto Rico-Mayaguez for seventh place. The Miami Hurricanes lost a home game to Binghamton. Try not to forget all this on Selection Sunday, when there’s an ACC coach squealing about no one understanding how tough it is to go 7-9 in his league.

[SIZE=7]The only thing more ludicrous than the fact fans pay attention to the polls is that major news organizations use this nonsense to dictate which teams they cover.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Will leaving Conference USA and joining the Atlantic 10 next season make scheduling more difficult?

I don’t see why it would. The A-10 had two teams in the Elite Eight last year. We’re always going to be in the top 100 RPI, at worst, and we’re going to continue to be an attractive opponent.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;206583]:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I always like the way your come on her PRETENDING to be our friend and then always stir up trouble with one of your patented cheap shots. [/QUOTE]

Cheap shot? Where?

Mike…what do you think Fowler meant by this…

See…I take it as meaning we can be thankful for getting to play an acc team…and the Deacons can be thankful for the win.

Is that right…or am i missing something?

Only one A10 team in today's Top 64, X at 45, and the league's getting 3-4 bids? Does that make sense to anyone?

probably because the tournament isn’t tomorrow…

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206590]Cheap shot? Where?[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry Mike. What was I thinking? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You NEVER do anything like that.

BTW, this was a good thread until you came over with your “No A10 teams are good this year” spill.

[QUOTE=casstommy;206585]we are thankful…we are…

thanks for letting us play you acc…we will go back to our little city and wait for the next opprotunity![/QUOTE]

That was the headline on the story referring to something later in the coumn. I didn’t cut and paste the whole thing, but believe it or not that was innocent.

Lutz thanked Wake Forest for having the guts to play the Niners.

In retrospect, it’s not a very good headline.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206573]We’re always going to be in the top 100 RPI, at worst,[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this quote from Coach Lutz. Now I KNOW that the rest of the season will get progressively better.

If this year’s team is going to finish in the top 100, we must have some great victories on the horizon.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;206527]Only one A10 team in today’s Top 64, X at 45, and the league’s getting 3-4 bids? Does that make sense to anyone?[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and add another after the Bilikens beat the Tar Holes tommorow. Dayton still has 2 big RPI games coming (on the road) @Pitt and @UNC-CH, X still has some opportunities, Temple has some, George Washington has a few decent teams left, see how many is in the top 45 after the non-con play is complete.

You know, the sad thing is this. If the A10 gets 4 or 5 teams in, it will never appear in print in Charlotte… but if they get only one team in, we’re talking FRONT PAGE ARTICLE.

BTW, a big thanks go to Niner-Atl2Chlt for posting this info. It’s not his fault the thread was highjacked.

I can see it now

[B][SIZE=6]HA HA HA UNC MAKES TOURNEY AND LEAVE[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=1]uncc[/SIZE] [SIZE=6][B]BEHIND[/B][/SIZE]

Go ahead and start the tournament today solely based off RPI. Arizona, Duke, UCLA, and Butler get #1 seeds.
Go ahead and give Pitt, Drexel, CLEMSON, and FLORIDA State the 2 seeds.

Give the Tar holes, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, and Maryland the 3 seeds.

Alabama, UNLV, Nova, and Oregon the 4 seeds, see where I’m going Mike?

Evidently your Tar Holes will finish 4th in the ACC this year and Clemson will finish second with Duke taking first.

Ohio State would get a 6 seed along with 1 loss Oklahoma State.

App State (after winning the DI-AA Football Championship) will be the 26th best team in the country and be a 7 seed.

Your boy Doh’s team SMU would get an 8 seed and Loyola Chicago gets a 9 seed.

RPI is a joke right now Mike, but if you don’t think so I’ll gladly say that Clemson, Florida State, and Duke are better than UNC-CH this year.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;206613]Go ahead and start the tournament today solely based off RPI. Arizona, Duke, UCLA, and Butler get #1 seeds.
Go ahead and give Pitt, Drexel, CLEMSON, and FLORIDA State the 2 seeds.

Give the Tar holes, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, and Maryland the 3 seeds.

Alabama, UNLV, Nova, and Oregon the 4 seeds, see where I’m going Mike?

Evidently your Tar Holes will finish 4th in the ACC this year and Clemson will finish second with Duke taking first.

Ohio State would get a 6 seed along with 1 loss Oklahoma State.

App State (after winning the DI-AA Football Championship) will be the 26th best team in the country and be a 7 seed.

Your boy Doh’s team SMU would get an 8 seed and Loyola Chicago gets a 9 seed.

RPI is a joke right now Mike, but if you don’t think so I’ll gladly say that Clemson, Florida State, and Duke are better than UNC-CH this year.[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT POST!

WOW! Talk about hearing a bunch of whining. Can you imagine the whining from acc schools if Butler received a Number One seed and Drexel received a Number Two seed ?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;206614]EXCELLENT POST!

WOW! Talk about hearing a bunch of whining. Can you imagine the whining from acc schools if Butler received a Number One seed and Drexel received a Number Two seed ?[/QUOTE]

I’m on record as saying the RPI now means squat. Ask NA.