Chancellor's Update

where is the gill bat light?

[URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17198&highlight=moratorium]NCAA Moratorium[/URL][QUOTE=Dr. Phil Dooby]The work of the Football Feasibility Committee, chaired by Mac Everett, is winding down. I expect to receive the formal report and recommendations of this group sometime in February, but it has already been widely reported that the Committee will recommend that UNC Charlotte initiate a football program. After reviewing the report with my staff, I intend to take my own recommendations to the Board of Trustees sometime in the spring or summer.

I know there is intense interest among some alumni and members of the public in answer to the question of whether UNC Charlotte will be starting a football program. However, because of the very significant implications of such a decision for Athletics and, indeed, the entire institution, I’m going to be more concerned about making a good decision than a quick one.

Another factor that affects the initiation of a football program is a recent decision by the NCAA Division Board of Directors to impose a four-year moratorium upon the addition of any new institutions into either the Football Bowl Subdivision (what most of us still call Division I-A) or the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (what most of us still call Division I-AA). The precise explanation for why this moratorium was needed can be debated, but ostensibly it was motivated by a vast set of concerns about the NCAA’s divisional governance structure and evolving definitions concerning what it means to be a Division I football institution. So, whether we like it or not, it will not be possible to initiate a football program until the moratorium is lifted. In the meantime, several NCAA study groups are at work. [/QUOTE]

Let’s not read too much into this. This probably isn’t something he spends a lot of time with and I doubt he has read much on the terms of the moratorium and even if he did he might just be using it to apply the brake a little. The projected start date is after the moratorium expires and there is nothing to stop us from preparing for or fielding a team in FCS as we are already DI members. According to Darin Spease the moratorium is to prevent teams from moving between divisions and he saw no indication that it would disrupt our efforts as we would be playing in our current division (which would be FCS) and it definately wouldn’t stop our current process.

Wishful thinking, 49RFootballNow. Sorry about that.

[QUOTE=cltniners;285058]clt likes dubois but this letter is not helping.[/QUOTE]

Sideshow asks what does CLT like about Dubois

The moratorium has no bearing on Charlotte. Refer to the next to last Q & A.

Division I Membership Moratorium Frequently Asked Questions

During its August 9, 2007, meeting, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors used its emergency authority to adopt NCAA Proposal No. 2007-10 to establish an NCAA Division I membership moratorium. The following information is designed to assist institutions in understanding the implications of the moratorium.

Q. When does the moratorium become effective?

A. The moratorium is effective August 9, 2007.

Q. What is the scheduled duration of the moratorium?

A. The moratorium is imposed for a four-year period and is scheduled to expire August 9, 2011, prior to the beginning of the 2011-2012 academic year.

Q. What is the scope of the moratorium?

A. During the four-year period of the moratorium, no institution may begin the NCAA Division I provisional or reclassification membership process, no institution may begin the Division I multidivision membership reclassification process and no new single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.

A. How does the moratorium impact institutions currently in the Division I

provisional, reclassification or multidivision reclassification process?

Q. All institutions that have submitted applications and accompanying fees prior to the adoption of the moratorium will not be impacted, and may continue to move through the transition process in accordance with current requirements.

Q. Is it permissible for an institution to begin the exploratory membership process during the moratorium?

A. No. Institutions may not begin the exploratory year of the provisional or reclassification process during the moratorium. Institutions may start an exploratory year beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year. Petitions to begin the exploratory year during the 2011-12 academic year should be received in the NCAA national office not later than June 1, 2011.

Q. Is it permissible to reclassify membership from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) during the moratorium?

A. No. Multidivision reclassification, which is prohibited during the moratorium, covers Division I FCS institutions seeking to reclassify to FBS status. It also covers NCAA Division II and NCAA Division III institutions seeking to reclassify a single men?s or women?s sport to Division I.

Q. Is it permissible for a Division I institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program to add a varsity football program during the moratorium?

A. Yes. An institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program may add the sport of football at the varsity level during the moratorium. Such action is not considered multidivisional reclassification under current Division I membership requirements.

Q. Is it permissible for Division I institutions to seek Division I conference membership in another existing Division I conference during the moratorium?

A. Yes. Conference realignment may occur during the moratorium; however, no new single sport or multisport conference will be elected to active Division I conference membership during the four-year period. Applications for conference membership for the 2011-2012 academic year should be received in the national office not later than June 1, 2011.

The contact for this page is

© The National Collegiate Athletic Association

Q. Is it permissible for a Division I institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program to add a varsity football program during the moratorium?

A. Yes. An institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program may add the sport of football at the varsity level during the moratorium. Such action is not considered multidivisional reclassification under current Division I membership requirements.

That’s all we need to know. Someone send it to the chancellor so he can get a head start in finding a new excuse.

Nice find. I’m glad Dubois spent so much time researching it. Makes me wonder how much he researches other matters…

Dubois will approve Football. Vetoing the recommendation would be suicide at this point.

[QUOTE=metro;285045]know what I think? I will take Mac Everett in this battle anyday of the week. He has always been a Charlottean and will be, and has more at stake here. Dubois likes to throw some zingers out there to pretend like he has a play in this, but football is inevitable when a whale like Everett stamps his name to the initiative. So let Dubois publish these control freak letters, they’re meaningless.[/QUOTE]

DOBA, after all Dubois can only make a recommendation. If Dubios thinks he can defeat this by himself, well he’s got a different story coming. After all it’s up to the BOT, Screw Dubois (I know its bad to say, but he pulled it out of my mouth).

Nice work NinerNirvana… I sent Dubois an email.

Here is the link to the FAQ:
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Joining_DI/DIMoratoriumFAQ

[QUOTE=Normmm;285092] Or he can think it’s not a good idea and drag his feet, hoping something will change the inevitable. I think we all know which approach he’s taking.[/QUOTE]

Kinda the same approach he is taking with Lutz and his extension.

If he announces a start-up in 2012, that’s after the 4-year morartorium, so why is DuBois still giving us hell?
CFI might have to organize students & alums to march on the Chancellor’s house.

If he announces a start-up in 2012, that's after the 4-year morartorium, so why is DuBois still giving us hell? CFI might have to organize students & alums to march on the Chancellor's house.

We need to wear jerseys. And just do the most annoying football cheers we can think of for days and days and days. Have the band play the fight song repeatedly. I’m sure there’s nothing he hates more than our fight song.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;285980]If he announces a start-up in 2012, that’s after the 4-year morartorium, so why is DuBois still giving us hell?
CFI might have to organize students & alums to [B]take back [/B]the Chancellor’s house.[/QUOTE]

fixed.

[QUOTE=Max Power;285968]Nice work NinerNirvana… I sent Dubois an email.

Here is the link to the FAQ:
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Joining_DI/DIMoratoriumFAQ[/QUOTE]

Great job, Max. I’d love to hear what he has to say, that is if he responds.

Dubois’ Response:

Dear Brad: The NCAA web site is out of date. The first FAQ reflects the original action taken by the Board of Directors back in August. However, it was modified with the bolded wording below in October, and became final on December 31. The final wording was:
        “For a four-year period peginning August 9, 2007, no instititution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process, [b]no institution shall be permitted to seek classification or reclassification in the football championship subdivision[/b], and no single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.”  

Phil Dubois</blockquote>

[QUOTE=Max Power;286078]Dubois’ Response:[/QUOTE]
:ohmy:

[QUOTE=Max Power;286078]Dubois’ Response:

ear Brad: The NCAA web site is out of date. The first FAQ reflects the original action taken by the Board of Directors back in August. However, it was modified with the bolded wording below in October, and became final on December 31. The final wording was:

“For a four-year period peginning August 9, 2007, no instititution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process, [B]no institution shall be permitted to seek classification or reclassification in the football championship subdivision[/B], and no single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.”

Even if it would prevent us from fielding a team in the 2010 year we could still field a team in 2011. Even that doesn’t seem to apply as we are already members of Division I and thus automatically members of FCS if we field a team. There really is no such thing as I-AAA(no football) so we would be considered automatic members of FCS.

And lets not forget that we will supposedly be fielding this team around 2012, so who gives a s***? Dubois is attempting to use this as a delaying tactic. Someone fire off an Email to the NCAA!

We need to know:

A) Would this moratorium prevent a current DI member without football from fielding a football team before 2011 in FCS?
B) Would this prevent said school from fielding a team in 2012, i.e. will said school not be able to apply the proper paperwork with the NCAA to field a team in time to start in the 2012 season.
C) Would the moratorium prevent the process of a university preparing for fielding a team after the moritorium expires. i.e. building facilities, hiring coaches and staff.

Phil Dubois [/QUOTE]

I don’t see how that would stop us from starting a football program in 2012? What exactly did you ask him because that seems to basically conform to the original post as it doe not conflict with the belloe statement in any way?

[QUOTE]Q. Is it permissible for a Division I institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program to add a varsity football program during the moratorium?

A. Yes. An institution that currently does not sponsor a varsity football program may add the sport of football at the varsity level during the moratorium. Such action is not considered multidivisional reclassification under current Division I membership requirements. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Max Power;286078]Dubois’ Response:

ear Brad: The NCAA web site is out of date. The first FAQ reflects the original action taken by the Board of Directors back in August. However, it was modified with the bolded wording below in October, and became final on December 31. The final wording was:

“For a four-year period peginning August 9, 2007, no instititution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process, [B]no institution shall be permitted to seek classification or reclassification in the football championship subdivision[/B], and no single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.”

Phil Dubois [/QUOTE]

Someone needs to fire off the following Email questions to the NCAA:

A) Would the moratorium prevent a current Division I non-football playing university from starting football during the moratorium period?
B) Would the moratorium prevent a university planning to field a football team after the expiration date from preparing to do so during the moratorium period, i.e. hiring coaches and staff, building facilities, filing NCAA paperwork?
C) Would the moratorium prevent a school from fielding a team after the moratorium period expired for several seasons because of NCAA requirements as far as filing offical documents and the like?

Send the response you get to Darrin Spease, Judy and Phil

Nevermind I did it myself, here’s what I asked:

[QUOTE]I attend a Division I university that currently does not have football, however it is considering adding the sport in 2012. The recent moratorium on football division and subdivision reclassifications has caused some consternation among my fellow fans of this university’s athletics programs. If I could I would like to have the following questions clarified.

A) Would the moratorium prevent a current Division I non-football playing university from starting football at the FCS level during the moratorium period?

B) Would the moratorium prevent a university planning to field a football team after the expiration date from preparing to do so during the moratorium period, i.e. hiring coaches and staff, building facilities, filing NCAA paperwork?

C) Would the moratorium prevent a school from fielding a team after the moratorium period expired for several seasons because of NCAA requirements as far as filing offical documents and the like?

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Joining_DI/DIMoratoriumFAQ

The above web address at your website indicates that the answer to all three questions would be NO, however information coming from our university says that this is outdated information and that the resolution taking effect on December 31, 2007 now prevents current Division I non-football schools from adding football until after August 9, 2011. Any clarification that can be provided to this and the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

G. Stanton Adams II
Gadams12@carolina.rr.com[/QUOTE]

Dubois seems to have a different interpretation of the moratorium than those in the atheltic department have. I know which interpretation I accept. :shades: