Chancellor's Update

Someone needs to fire off the following Email questions to the NCAA:

A) Would the moratorium prevent a current Division I non-football playing university from starting football during the moratorium period?
B) Would the moratorium prevent a university planning to field a football team after the expiration date from preparing to do so during the moratorium period, i.e. hiring coaches and staff, building facilities, filing NCAA paperwork?
C) Would the moratorium prevent a school from fielding a team after the moratorium period expired for several seasons because of NCAA requirements as far as filing offical documents and the like?

Send the response you get to Darrin Spease, Judy and Phil

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors (Board) adopted modifications of the Division I governance structure as Recommended by the Management Council (Council) Governance Subcommittee [COLOR=darkred]to be effective September 1, 2008.[/COLOR]

Other Actions

1. Membership Moratorium. In August, the Board adopted legislation to establish a four-year moratorium that precludes an institution from beginning any Division I membership process and precludes election of a conference to Division I Membership.

[COLOR=darkred]Under current membership rules, [/COLOR]movement from NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) status to Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) status is considered multidivisional reclassification and is precluded during the moratorium. However, [COLOR=darkred]institutions that do not sponsor football and wish to add the sport have not been required to use the multidivisional reclassification process or any other legislative transitional process.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Accordingly, the Board adopted Proposal No. 2007-116 to establish a similar moratorium[/COLOR] on new classifications to FCS [COLOR=darkred]for any Division I member that wants to add the sport of football.[/COLOR]

http://www.bsk.com/pdfinfomemos/11-2007%20nl%20collegiate%20sports.pdf

The foot-dragging by the administration NEEDS TO END NOW.

[QUOTE=survivor45;286117]The NCAA Division I Board of Directors (Board) adopted modifications of the Division I governance structure as Recommended by the Management Council (Council) Governance Subcommittee [B][COLOR=darkred]to be effective September 1, 2008.[/COLOR][/B]

[U]Other Actions[/U]

1. Membership Moratorium. In August, the Board adopted legislation to establish a four-year moratorium that precludes an institution from beginning any Division I membership process and precludes election of a conference to Division I Membership.

[COLOR=darkred]Under current membership rules, [/COLOR]movement from NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) status to Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) status is considered multidivisional reclassification and is precluded during the moratorium. However, [COLOR=darkred]institutions that do not sponsor football and wish to add the sport have not been required to use the multidivisional reclassification process or any other legislative transitional process.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=darkred]Accordingly, the Board adopted Proposal No. 2007-116 to establish a similar moratorium[/COLOR][/B] on new classifications to FCS [B][COLOR=darkred]for any Division I member that wants to add the sport of football.[/COLOR][/B]

[URL=http://www.bsk.com/pdfinfomemos/11-2007%20nl%20collegiate%20sports.pdf]http://www.bsk.com/pdfinfomemos/11-2007%20nl%20collegiate%20sports.pdf[/URL]

The foot-dragging by the administration NEEDS TO END NOW.[/QUOTE]

That would seem to support Dubois’s position, That we can’t add football during the moratorium?

I sent an email to the NCAA’s public relations director asking my questions. I’ll post as soon as I get them. DUBOIS MUST THINK 49ERS FANS ARE FOOLS!WE WILL NOT BE FOOLED!

DUBOIS MUST THINK 49ERS FANS ARE FOOLS!WE WILL NOT BE FOOLED!

True, for one reason. We have no Walmart fans. We are all either alumni or students. WE’RE NOT STUPID PHIL!!! GIVE US FOOTBALL!!! GO NINERS!!!

That would seem to support Dubois's position, That we can't add football during the moratorium?
Someone needs to fire off the following Email questions to the NCAA:

A) Would the moratorium prevent a current Division I non-football playing university from starting football during the moratorium period?
B) Would the moratorium prevent a university planning to field a football team after the expiration date from preparing to do so during the moratorium period, i.e. hiring coaches and staff, building facilities, filing NCAA paperwork?
C) Would the moratorium prevent a school from fielding a team after the moratorium period expired for several seasons because of NCAA requirements as far as filing offical documents and the like?

Send the response you get to Darrin Spease, Judy and Phil

My interpretation is that this is a proposal (Proposal 2007-116) that is scheduled to be put into effect 9/1/08. So it would be in our best interests to submit whatever “legislative transitional process” paperwork to the NCAA ASAP.

I think the longer the chancellor filibusters … the more the situation gets worse.

No football for Charlotte, it looks like.

[QUOTE=survivor45;286124]My interpretation is that this is a proposal (Proposal 2007-116) that is scheduled to be put into effect 9/1/08. So it would be in our best interests to submit whatever “legislative transitional process” paperwork to the NCAA ASAP.

I think the longer the chancellor filibusters … the more the situation gets worse.[/QUOTE]

Survivor, will you please send that to Darrin Spease? I think we should get an offical response as to what the university plans to do about this assuming the BoT votes for football before that September 1st deadline date, this is a window of oppourtunity that the university shouldn’t deny itself.

HOWEVER, I still don’t see how this affects us as we “plan” to field the team in 2012, A WHOLE YEAR after the moratorium expiration date, ask Spease about how this could affect us too please?

Shouldn’t the observer be doing this research and writing about it?

[QUOTE=eason49;286125]No football for Charlotte, it looks like.[/QUOTE]

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water!

[B][I]moratorium expiration date: 2011[/I][/B]

[B][I]team starts playing: 2012[/I][/B]

Unless the paperwork can’t be filed during the moratorium and it takes 3 or more years to do the paperwork, I don’t see the problem?

[QUOTE=survivor45;286124]I think the longer the chancellor filibusters … the more the situation gets worse.[/QUOTE] Which is the reason why… (fill in answer here).

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;286108]I don’t see how that would stop us from starting a football program in 2012? What exactly did you ask him because that seems to basically conform to the original post as it doe not conflict with the belloe statement in any way?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think anyone is claiming that we couldn’t start football in 2012. The question being debated here was whether the moratorium actually prevents us from starting a program before then. The original FAQ seems to say that it wouldn’t, but the revised version seems like it might. Who knows… the real concern was that the Chancellor had not done much research on the issue and was not completely informed, or was just trying to stall or think of a reason not to go forward with football.

As long as we actually do put a team on the field in 2012, I don’t think anyone will complain.

The email I sent him is on my work computer, so I don’t have it handy. He copied Mac Everett in when he responded to me.

I have to believe that if we file the paperwork of intention before the September deadline, we will grandfather ahead of this moratorium.

Phil’s timetable sounds like he is trying to stall until it’s too late. Do not let this happen.

What’s the worst that could happen if we begin the application process and decided later not to follow through? Just wasted time/money, but no penalties.

DO IT. Do not let DuBois filibuster.

Just wasted time/money, but no penalties.
wouldn't be a first.

I’ve seen a copy of an incredible email from Dr. Philip Dubois that makes me sad to have any affiliation with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Egotistical, rude and unprofessional are some of the first words that pop intomy head after reading it. I’m going to do some serious soul searching here before any further dollars come from my back pocket. I do however, now believe that there will be few positives achieved under his watch.

I wish I could share it but I can not.

I've seen a copy of an incredible email from Dr. Philip Dubois that makes me sad to have any affiliation with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Egotistical, rude and unprofessional are some of the first words that pop intomy head after reading it. I'm going to do some serious soul searching here before any further dollars come from my back pocket. I do however, now believe that there will be few positives achieved under his watch.

You and Metro are teasing with the bad emails but not handing up examples. DuBois singlehandedly has made me slow to donate this year.

I've seen a copy of an incredible email from Dr. Philip Dubois that makes me sad to have any affiliation with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Egotistical, rude and unprofessional are some of the first words that pop intomy head after reading it. I'm going to do some serious soul searching here before any further dollars come from my back pocket. I do however, now believe that there will be few positives achieved under his watch.

I respect your wishes to not share, but can you at least tell us if it’s regarding football?

cakewalk, it is not for me to publish an email sent to someone else. I will tell you that if you were to read it, you would feel as I do now. Perhaps it will be made public at a later date.

cakewalk, it is not for me to publish an email sent to someone else. I will tell you that if you were to read it, you would feel as I do now. Perhaps it will be made public at a later date.

IS it related to football?

“…the UNC Charlotte golf team.” God what a tool.

[QUOTE=HP49er;286426]cakewalk, it is not for me to publish an email sent to someone else. I will tell you that if you were to read it, you would feel as I do now. Perhaps it will be made public at a later date.[/QUOTE]

Then what was the point of your post? This is a lot like “I have a friend whos cousin knows a guy who has a girlfriend who has a secret?” Why bother?

any way to oust DuBois?