Chapel Hill Phil vs Chancellor Philip Dubois

[QUOTE=kissmekait20;344034]maybe try being courteous once in a while. kindness will get you far.[/QUOTE]

Such a girl thing to say :slight_smile: JK Kait

But for real, Does he deserve thanks? In some regards maybe. However, it took all of our efforts to even get him to listen to us on football. If he had such forward thinking, shouldnt he have thought of that himself?

Its not him giving us what we want…its him doing what is right for the school, and giving ALL of Niner Nation what they deserve…an Alma Mater they are proud of.

wrong. you need to show him that we're thankful for giving us what we want. he's not going to listen to us if he thinks we're ungrateful. he works with us when we work with him. you guys all rag on him and call him CHP all the time (knowing that people in the administration read this message board) and you wonder why he replies to you with smartass emails. hm, I wonder...

maybe try being courteous once in a while. kindness will get you far.

fail

CHP was the jackass first and long before he got ragged on this board

when he got hired, myself and all of NNN were ecstatic

you’re a rook, do your homework before you pop off

[QUOTE=MKNiner;343963]I’m here as well.

Personally I think he ultimately had no choice. There’s a real chance had he said no the trustees would have overruled him, but I may be wrong about that. In any case what did he do? He gave a ginormous amount of money as a requirement, a 6 month timeframe to raise 5 million through FSL’s. Bascially he said sure you can have football if you raise the money. That’s fair enough.

But he still is the same guy who bent over and said “Thank you sir, may I have another” when Chapel Hole stuck an extension of it’s med school in our city. The same guy who refuses to embrace a name change that is so badly needed and the same guy who still hasn’t shown any sign of FIGHTING for the funding we rightly deserve. Until I see those things, he’s CHP all the way.[/QUOTE] mk has it figured out.

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc;343948]yeah - i see that - important to point out though that I’ve never been in favor of the CHP name[/QUOTE]you’ve never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn’t you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i’m sure you’re opposed to the chp name.

mk has it figured out.

you’ve never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn’t you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i’m sure you’re opposed to the chp name.

Ummmmm…he was one of the people carrying the goal post? :huh:

When is the Law School & Med School announcement anyway?

CHP is still CHP… at least for now. Yes, he supported football, but it’s already been stated he may have had little choice. He’ll always be CHP until he quits snifing the jocks of the folks in chapel hill. Maybe we should call him CHJSP.

Can I also add this (slightly off topic)? Why a stadium that only expands to 20,000? We could just as easily build a 12,000 seat stadium (which is already too small once we sell 5000 PSLs) that EXPANDS to 30,000 or 40,000. A 20,000 seat stadium only makes it that much tougher to get to where we want to be. It is too small for most (maybe all) D1 conferences.

Can I also add this (slightly off topic)? Why a stadium that only expands to 20,000? We could just as easily build a 12,000 seat stadium (which is already too small once we sell 5000 PSLs) that EXPANDS to 30,000 or 40,000. A 20,000 seat stadium only makes it that much tougher to get to where we want to be. It is too small for most (maybe all) D1 conferences.

someone asked a question in the meeting that touched on this slightly. From what i gathered, it will originally be a stadium in the 12-20k range. It will be expandable from that, 20k isn’t the ultimate cap, just the cap of what they want to spend on a facility in the next 5 years.

We are starting from scratch basically, we also have to construct practice facilities, weight rooms, etc. so not going all out on the stadium is the way to go. In time it will come. For Division IAA, 20k would be a big stadium, at 12k we would be tied for the largest stadium in the Big South.

So here's my .02, and that's all it's really worth. Take it, put it in the bank, and maybe after a few hundred years of accruing interest, it'll be worth more.

Chancellor Dubois didn’t “just do his job.” If he was that dead set against it, he still would have said “yes.” He would have said “yes, let’s play football. Let’s follow the FFC to a tee, lets get a great new $80 million stadium on our campus, and let’s go Big East or bust.” He would have said all these things, and we would have loved him for it, until the Board of Governor’s said “hold on a minute.” We all know the BOG wasn’t going to lift the cap on student athletic fees for us, Dubois did too. So what does he do? He says “yes, but lets do it like this: cut out that FBS part, cut that stadium down to $45 mil, and keep that student fee increase below $200.” This way, the BOG would have no grounds to say no to football. In essence, he defied the UNC Board of Governors to undermine his authority to lead our University. Now, why would a man named “Chapel Hill Phill” take away their only chance of crushing this movement?

Does he have a lot of work to do? Hell yes, he does. Do I like him? Not really. He’s arrogant, condescending, and… well… a politician. But as far as this moniker of his, say it if you wish, but I’m going to give him a break on it for the time being.

Also, if you’ve posted that “He’s still CHP” in this thread, go ahead and remove any posts you may have put in the “Captionary Time” thread.

I guess you can find a way to spin anything you want your way, but there is no way you can really see lowering the student fee increase as a way of being defiant. Yes, yes, it is very defiant to conform to the BOG rules. The truth to this is that he didn’t even try to go with the high student fee increase. For once, he could of stood up for US and said “the students had a vote and by a landslide margin and with unprecedented voter turn out they voted for a student fee higher than what you have your cap set at. Well I say, if you won’t adequately fund us, at least allow us to fund ourselves.” No, he won’t get a chance to say anything of the sort because he isn’t even going to try. If we had shot high, we could have been turned down and simply gone with the plan we are going with now, but we won’t know if we could have gotten the fee increase we wanted because we didn’t even try.

Come to think of it, this is almost more so being a company man for the BOG than already stated. Unjustifiably shooting down our democratically voted for fee increase probably would have made the BOG look even worse in our eyes and added more fuel to the fire. Now they don’t even have to do that. Nice.

you've never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn't you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i'm sure you're opposed to the chp name.

lol Are you f’ing serious? zerogenetics is one of the biggest Niners supporters on campus. He wasn’t at the fball rally? He was helping me, JFelt, jfickett, thelew, and others carry the damn goal post… where were you? No, I dont agree with him on the CHP/Dubois debate, but Ben BLEEDS GREEN.

Yeah, ol benny was holding up the right corner IIRC. His tall ass was making it hard for us to get a hand on the goal LoL

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;344056]

you’ve never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn’t you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i’m sure you’re opposed to the chp name.[/QUOTE]

EPIC FAIL

ben is as true a niner as they come. he is involved in niner nation gold, cfi, and was carrying the goal post wearing that bad ass green 49ers shirt. he’s green through and through

People get REALLY upset on this board when you question their committment to our school, so you have to make sure you do your homework before you pull that card. Definitely didn’t do your homework on this one. No easier way to get 5-7 backlash posts than that.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;344056]mk has it figured out.

you’ve never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn’t you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i’m sure you’re opposed to the chp name.[/QUOTE]

wow, way to make a complete ass out of yourself.

-100 pts.

you've never been in favor of anything that helps the niners. didn't you also once say you supported chapel hill opening a med school on CHARLOTTE"S campus? you did not even show up for the football rally. i'm sure you're opposed to the chp name.
BACKLASH!!!

[QUOTE=Chancellor Phil Dubois - September, 2008]Nearly twenty years ago, our third Chancellor Jim Woodward observed that UNC Charlotte was the largest city in the country that did not have a doctoral granting research university. He set us on the course of building a doctoral granting research university, and look where we stand today. We have eighteen doctoral programs; we enroll over 700 doctoral students; and our faculty is producing a growing body of research and creative activity of national and international significance. U.S. News and World Report has recently recognized us as among the top nine higher education institutions in the country as a “school to watch.” Chancellor Woodward’s vision is becoming our reality today.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chapel Hill Phil - January, 2007](UNC Charlotte) was actually … an outgrowth of Chapel Hill.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chancellor Phil Dubois - September, 2008]Can football contribute to strengthening the reputation of UNC Charlotte, first regionally and then nationally? And can football contribute to strengthening the “ownership” of the Charlotte community of this institution over the long term, thereby creating secondary benefits for our university in terms of political and financial support, research partnerships, employment and internship opportunities for our students, and so forth? I believe that it can.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chapel Hill Phil - January, 2007]I mean, with the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill has a 200 year head start. It’s a wonderful institution. And we all ought to be proud of it. And frankly, we all ought to be proud to be associated with it. I think sometimes you’re judged by the company you keep. And I think there’s something to be said when our faculty come here to interview, they know they’re part of a great university system because it says ‘The University of North Carolina’ at the front end …[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chancellor Phil Dubois - September, 2008]I do believe that football will enrich the student experience here, enliven school spirit, and serve as one more bond of engagement between the students and their university. (To be) the University we want to be in twenty years, we have to act now…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chapel Hill Phil - January, 2007]"We don’t need a further separation. We need a closer realization that we’re part of the system. The system matters. It has equity for our faculty across the country…[/QUOTE]

Dubois was finally able to open his mouth and say something befitting of a chancellor to this university for the first time … ever. May he continue to keep it up. I hate cringing in embarrassment.

Dubois was finally able to open his mouth and say something befitting of a chancellor to this university for the first time ... ever. May he continue to keep it up. I hate cringing in embarrassment.
survivor, I don't know where the hell to find it, but CHP has a real classic quote and I paraphrase....

“those who are looking for us to differentiate on our own institution will be sorely disappointed, my job is to make sure we fit into the UNC system as a whole”

(I think it might of been his installment speech)

:blahsign::knob:

[QUOTE]It is for that reason that I do not subscribe to the view that raising UNC Charlotte’s presence either regionally, in the state, or nationally is simply a matter of changing our name. It is the academic reputation – the brand equity, if you will – of “The University of North Carolina” system that helps to attract the best faculty, staff, and students. In short, we won’t be looking for a “quick fix” to the challenges of institutional identity.
Whatever we may do in branding and marketing cannot end with the public relations staff or the web page. UNC Charlotte must actually become better connected to the region we serve.[/QUOTE]

Phil Dubois installment

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;344151]People get REALLY upset on this board when you question their committment to our school, so you have to make sure you do your homework before you pull that card. Definitely didn’t do your homework on this one. No easier way to get 5-7 backlash posts than that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;341950]I’ve mostly stayed away from football-related events and discourse during my entire student life at UNCC. There are a few reasons, but the main one is that I simply don’t support the movement to bring in football. Not that I don’t think that football would do good things for our university, I was just never convinced (I’ve seen the arguments plenty of times) that it would be the best use of the money at the present. A lot of football supporters that I have met (certainly not all) care more about what the average sports fan thinks and less about what the average academic does. That’s a fair perspective to hold in some ways, but it’s not the one I hold. That said, the football movement has always been backed by people I have great respect and love for and has always had at its center a deep and passionate love for Charlotte. So I’ve elected to simply stay out of its way. If they could make it happen, I figured, then it would be for the right reasons and it would be a good thing. But I was never convinced it was a good idea myself.

I had class Tuesday night during the rally, but I came out during my class break to attempt to see some of my Niner friends and see how things were going. .[/QUOTE]
this is where my “homework” originated. my mistake. i for some reason thought the zero guy made this post.

this is where my "homework" originated. my mistake. i for some reason thought the zero guy made this post.

So your opinion is that I don’t support Niner athletics? I don’t think that will get you any farther. You had a better chance with Ben.

By the way, feel free to copy and paste the rest of that post, instead of just strip-mining it.

Also, who is the one who supports a Carolina med. school on our campus? It certainly isn’t me, and I don’t think it’s Ben either. Or did you just conflate all of the posters you don’t like into one easy straw-man?

“Yeah, and LakeNorman49er doesn’t even LIKE the Niners! One time he was totally like ‘The Niners blow’ and then he put on a Davidson jersey. Plus, didn’t he say one time that he thinks that he wishes we were called ‘UNC Chapel Hill Charlotte?’ I’m almost positive that was him.”

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;344189]this is where my “homework” originated. my mistake. i for some reason thought the zero guy made this post.[/QUOTE]

You’re fighting a losing cause here, go to pretty much any Niner athletic event, not only basketball, but the other ones such as volleyball, soccer, etc. and you will find Ben and Zack both cheering their ass off.

Both bleed Niner green and both are advocates of this university.