Charlotte 49ers Accepting Nominations for Inaugural Class of Program’s Athletics Hall of Fame

The 5-year requirement only applies to student-athletes.

Adam Mills should go in.

And again Larry should go in.

It would be a very Charlotte thing to not put ithe athlete that has gotten us the most press since Cornbread in the hall of fame because of arbitrary rules we came up with.

I’d also put Mac in before any other fan, no matter how much cash they’ve given.
JimmyHat as well.

Metro

Kinda like steph curry not having his jersey retired or whatever because he didn’t graduate… rules!!!

CFI fo sho

1 Like

Lutz, Mullins,

Williams, Maxwell, Demarco, Lang, Dink, Bryan Harvey

Hal Wissle. JKJKJK!

Bryan Harvey

mark price for being the catalyst that helped us get rid of judy.

1 Like

The bright fire judy signs seen on Gameday.

3 Likes

I don’t think Bryan Harvey meets the requirement of ‘leaving the University in good academic standing.’ He dropped out after 1 year.

Candidates from the baseball side, you’d have to start with the retired numbers: Barry Shifflett, Adam Mills, Bo, Tim Collie, and Joey Anderson.

Then you could go to the big leaguers we’ve had. Lots of these guys weren’t eligible to have their number retired because they were drafted early and went pro.

Not sure of how these guys left the school academic-wise but here are some guys that could be considered over time:

John Maine is our last MLB player. Had a good career with the Mets and Orioles.

Chris Haney has an 11 year MLB career mostly with the Expos and Royals. 2nd Round pick out of Charlotte.

Stu Cole made it to the bigs as a player and is now 3rd Base coach for the Rockies.

Danny Montgomery has a brief minor league career before going into scouting. He’s now in the Professional Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame. Been with the Rockies since before they played a game and has worked his way up to Special Assistant to the General Manager.

Jason Stanford pitched 3 seasons in the bigs for the Indians.

Jeff Johnson pitched 3 years in the bigs for the Yankees.

Sean Whiteside made it to the bigs for a cup of coffee with the Tigers.

Fieldin Culbreth was a good player for us that has been an MLB Umpire for over20 years.

Also, Erik Walker. All time Saves leader, named an All Star in his 1st pro Season. Had a great future ahead of him before he passed.

Also, if Grady Davis isn’t in the 1st class, we need to just shut it down.

6 Likes

As someone who played high school ball against EWalk and played legion ball with him I would love to see him get in the Hall of Fame if nothing else as an honorary member due to his passing after his first minor league season.

As for non-basketball, football, baseball I’d say our highest profile athlete would be Jon Busch who had solid run in MLS was goal keeper of the year one season and I believe also had a CAP with the US Men’s National Team. Not sure of his standing with the University but if anyone from the non-revenue sports deserves to be in it would be him in my opinion.

2 Likes

Who’s nominating the person that held that sign?

I have a source that told me it was Mike Hill holding up the sign.

1 Like

I’m curious if NWA’s bust will have a full scale or 1/32 size ambulance.

1 Like

Still have that sign sitting in my garage, I’m happy to donate it too a worthy cause :joy:

Hope the hall of fame includes a museum too. I nominate Demon Brown’s hairdryer and C.J. Pigford’s handicapped parking sticker.

2 Likes

I have the goal post from the football match. I’d be happy to hold the sign for history reasons if it ever gets in your way.