Charlotte 49ers Accepting Nominations for Inaugural Class of Program’s Athletics Hall of Fame

clt says you gotta include this

1 Like

Spangler and Friday :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article240940636.html

“Some of the names who might be nominated include: Henry Williams and Cedric Maxwell, men’s basketball; Jon Busch, men’s soccer; Paula Bennett, women’s basketball; Corey Nagy, men’s golf; Shareese Woods, women’s track and field; and athletics directors and coaches Jeff Mullins and Judy Rose.”

who was the all-American sprinter we had several years ago?

Darius Law I believe, might be wrong on that one though.

I sports and physics with him and he was a great classmate as well as athlete.

What a rapscallion that person is. Should be tarred and feathered

1 Like

Nate Davis once he’s eligible.

Lindsey Beam Ozimek (4.0 student and All American soccer player)

1 Like

clt says Matt hardy should get a few votes

Bill Foster basketball coach. I think he recruited many of the players who played during that great span between '76 and '77. He was very successful during my years between '71 and '75.

3 Likes

Judy Rose

She’s the reason Mike Hill is here…which is why Healy and Dirty Sanchez are here…and is what is leading our renaissance into the AAC and eventually into the SEC

You are correct, sir. And he IS worthy!

1 Like

Melvin Watkins needs to be in the first or second class of inductees. He was starter on the NIT runner up and Final Four team. He was a longtime assistant coach under Jeff Mullins and stepped in when Mullins retired. The 2 teams he was in charge of were among the 49ers’ best.

Melvin did not leave on good terms in my opinion, but, as a player maybe.

I don’t know, Melvin was here for something like 22 years as a player and a coach, did well as head coach, left the bench stocked and Lutz in charge. We did just fine, and I don’t blame him for doubling his salary. I talked to Melvin about a month ago at practice and he has love for this program, and we will see more of him as an alumnus and fan now that he is retired. I am not ready to nominate him for the Hall of Fame, but few people have invested more in our program than him.

2 Likes

I feel like the Observer is all over it with at least 5 of the 6 student athletes. I don’t know enough about track and field to make a comment on the sixth spot. But, considering 4 of the 6 would be male athletes, the 6th spot going to another female makes sense.

He’ll still get in. Just not in the first class.

It occurs to me that the HOF has been “planned” for years. I wonder if they got big bucks from somebody to make the physical thing a reality. They coulda had a HOF long before this if they were just gonna hang some plaques on a wall.

@emf, you are plugged into the things going on on campus. What is the plan for the Cone Center? With the new Student Union, is it just overflow space, or is there a specific function? It seems like a physical Hall of Fame would work nicely there. It is close to Halton, has hospitality spaces and food service operations, and everybody that ever went to school here knows where it is.

Problem with Cone is you can’t hardly put a coat of paint on it without triggering additional (expensive) required building code upgrades.

FWIW, the 2010 Master Plan envisions demolishing Cone and King and replacing with greenspace and sidewalks.

Within the last year, there’s a “sector study” ongoing for King, Reese, Cone, McKnight, Cone Deck, Belk quad, Lot 7; how best to use that area. Results of that study are to be released in a few months. Athletics were mentioned as a possible stakeholder in a brief remark I came across a few weeks ago. It’s possible HOF could go in that area, maybe in the quad.