Charlotte 49ers Athletic Facilities Master Plan discussion

$230M in new facilities coming our way!

Lol I wish. Wed be kings of the g5 if we had $230 million in upgrades.

$230 Million isn’t outlandish. Its aggressive but we received $49 million from the exponential campaign. If we can get someone with some pride in charge of the whole school and start winning in major sports again we’re good to go!

Looking at Indoor Football practice facilities, I think one on campus would be $15-20 million range. Some of the facilities listed below had locker rooms and weight rooms which we wouldn’t need in ours. What NC State has would probably be sufficient for what we need.

UNC-Chapel Hill- $32 mill opens this season
UAB $22.5 mill opened 2017
VaTech $21 mill - opened 2015
NC State -$14 mill opened 2015

Keep in mind the students may want us to refund $6 million in hard cash, and $4 million in pledged cash, so we are down to $39 million real quick.

Valid point. Counter argument: that $10m is also hampering future revenue streams, forever.

I counter your counter by saying that before the Richardson troubles nobody else gave us a $10 million check, so that is just a theory. However, if this is important to the students, let’s raise their fees $35 per semester and we can offset the money in 5 years. I will kick in $1000 up front when they pass that just to put my money where my mouth is.

Everyone should realize that the money from the exponential Campaign includes pledges and endowed scholarships which could not be used for facility expansion. The amount that we can invest will be based on the money can raise for each project, not based upon a pool of available funds.

A case in point is the baseball hitting facility.

marshall $20 million 2014
liberty $27 million 2017 - stupid nice way too nice

1 Like

All I am going to say is we had an AD that sucked at working with the business community. Richardson money walked in on it’s own, the promenade money walked in on it’s own - we turned down more lucrative deals in other things for her ego. Our old AD literally rode student fees and a handful of big donors for everything. On top of all that we have been hot garbage in what had been our only revenue sport for over a decade and zero growth in the club while graduating thousands of new alumni every year.

Start winning in basketball or football with an AD that understands city connections, hell he lives in the city, and demands success at all levels - I think a massive fundraising campaign makes total sense and would be successful.

2 Likes

True, but also remember that all funds don’t need to be raised ahead of construction.

How much will we make from the game in Knoxville? Could be our down payment on an indoor practice facility.

clt asks about the sq ft of an indoor practice facility?

Metal Bldg with brick facade?

Ceiling height required? Thin slab with turf?

clt thinks something stinks with the numbers being reported.

Not sure you have to worry about this with our rugby style punting!!!:joy:

clt should ask about the location of said facility

I think the students are paying PLENTY in support of Athletics.

They are already more than pulling their weight in regards to funding the program. They should have the loudest voice in this due to the burden they carry at this point in time.

Probably would have to take out one of the existing practice fields, likely the one closest to the field house. Maybe they could add a grass field behind the motorsports building to make up for it?

Conveniently (?), that rec field is already artificial turf, so I guess all you’d have to do is build a pole barn on it and add brick.

Edit: nm, thought you meant the field next to Wells Fargo fieldhouse.

I think they would be fine with one outdoor practice field and one indoor. That’s how the majority of teams I’ve seen do it. They seem to practice a ton in JRS.