Charlotte 49ers Athletic Facilities Master Plan discussion

Stadium expansion is Athletics’ number 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 priority. There can be no overestimating how having the smallest stadium in FBS hampers our recruiting ability. We have a top quality FCS stadium and I think that has shown itself, Lambert and Co.'s recruiting issues not withstanding, in the level of recruits we bring in. It’s not just about butts in seats but the perception that we are small-time and happy with it.

Luxury seating options are also vital. It doesn’t matter if we sell them all right away. They need to already be there when a company or major donor wants it. Unsold luxury seating can be used as a random loyalty reward for FSL owners till they are sold.

Halton upgrade comes after the stadium issue but also are vital.

As for an IPF, that’s a matter for debate on whether it’s needed or not anytime in the immediate future, but if we go with one I’d hate to see us use more that $15M on it.

1 Like

Corporations don’t decide not to buy suites because a team is down. They do buy suites however to wine and dine customers. Albeit that is easier when the team is winning, but I had a hell of a time at a Braves suite a couple of years ago at a corporate function. Nobody gave two shits about the Braves or who they were playing. We cared about getting good food and great drinks. I think suites are a must for basketball and football if we want to move away from being solely supported by private donors and move into both corporate and private donors.

clt says we can use the panthers bubble after they build an ipf

Seems like a lof others chimed in already with multiple examples from our “peers” and also giving reasons why premium seating (of some sort) can also be about things other than JUST money, in the short term.

My priorities, which may have listed somewhere in this thread already:

1. Expansion
  2. Halton updates
  3. IPF, would be great if multi-purpose and we can host indoor track events. Many FB recruits are also track athletes, another way to get them on campus…
  4. Scoreboard for baseball. I was REALLY close to putting this as 3, but their are more advantages that come from an IPF than a scoreboard.
2 Likes

Interesting interview with Chris Fuller.

Nice find. I am glad to see that we have someone thinking about our future with a perspective that is not limited by their only experience being on this campus.

Duke is also a national power who doesn’t need them. That’s part of the charm of Cameron. We don’t have that kind of pull to say we don’t need it, but I tend to agree I dont think we need them right away. Not sure how they’d fit in without cutting away at least 1000 seats.

1 Like

I just dont see the need for suites in Halton. I think we would be better off just offering some VIP seating, club seating, etc. I am not convinced companies are willing to put up some cash for suites here. Now for football that is a different story.

Halton needs some updating for sure. I would like to see the track at minimum be changed to wood or something. Norms Tavern in the games would be a great add too. Plenty of great ideas in this thread.

I think norms tavern with all you can drink for $x may do a good job getting some more people to the games ans maybe theyll eventually.come just for the basketball if we arent terrible eventually.

Yikes! I can’t think of a worse idea.

clt says haltron should be torn down. Time for a new arena

We do it for football tailgates. You get unlimited drinks for like 3 hours. A basketball gane isnt even that long. We havent seen any issues from drunkkeness at those events.

These pics popped up today and are interesting.

I’ve been told they are old and not part of the current master plan project:

They may be old, but they are much newer than anything that has been released to the public.

Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

1 Like

It’s raining

1 Like

If expansion ends up being close to those drawings that would make our stadium amongst the best in the G5 and #1 in CUSA. I never imagined we would have suites (or other types of premium seating) above the press box. This would signify we are all in on football.

I am extremely excited to see what our next step will be.

1 Like

Does anybody know when the master plan for our athletic facilities will be available it better be soon

End of summer is all we have really heard.

1 Like

Just because it is done then doesn’t mean it’s public ready.