Charlotte at Temple

Thanks. Same to Temple. G5 need to stick together.

[quote=“SteauA, post:10, topic:30537”]Temple 47
Charlotte 10[/quote]

Look at that! We were nine points better than I expected!

4th year guys…Moscow wasn’t built in a day nor is an FBS football program. Gotta take the good and the bad, otherwise, why bother?

ODU this week, who just beat UTSA. Well, maybe we’re struggling, but before the season I thought this might be a game we could win…still feel that way.

The 3-2-1: Temple Owls

https://charlotte.rivals.com/news/the-3-2-1-temple-owls

Not sure how you can feel there is ANY game that we can win.

Seriously.

Seriously.[/quote]

Apparently you haven’t watched many other C-USA teams this season.

Seriously.

Seriously.[/quote]

Seriously.[/quote]ODU just hung 33 on FAU. FAU has a better defense than we do.

I expect them to score at least that many against us. ODU is better than they were last year. Somehow, we are worse.

I see Rice as the most likely win left on the schedule. If things fall right, we might be able to compete with UTSA and the Florida schools. FIU is pretty damn bad. FAU isn’t good either, but they’re probably better than Rice and FIU.

I feel like I have been one of the more positive people here and giving Lambert lots of space. With that said I am 100% now concerned about the overall direcction. I can’t comprehend how we are looking worse this year than last year. We are at a point in our program where we should be seeing improvement every year as we ramp up. Defense has regressed, offense hasn’t really done anything and special teams is still special teams.

I am not going anywhere, still supportive and you can bet your ass I will be out there on saturday, but I am rethinking the Marshall road trip and am now in the official nervous camp about our overall direction.

Seriously.[/quote]

I expect them to score at least that many against us. ODU is better than they were last year. Somehow, we are worse.

I see Rice as the most likely win left on the schedule. If things fall right, we might be able to compete with UTSA and the Florida schools. FIU is pretty damn bad. FAU isn’t good either, but they’re probably better than Rice and FIU.[/quote]

Every game has the potential to be different. ODU is no world beater and while they may be better, it’s not by much (close enough that we COULD win if we have a decent day). People on here have a tendency to think because things look one way RIGHT NOW, that they have no chance to change or improve. Things ALWAYS change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

We may not be favored in another game this season, but I will be surprised if we don’t win again. I think ODU, UTSA and FIU are the most likely wins for us.

Seriously.[/quote]

I see Rice as the most likely win left on the schedule. If things fall right, we might be able to compete with UTSA and the Florida schools. FIU is pretty damn bad. FAU isn’t good either, but they’re probably better than Rice and FIU.[/quote]

Every game has the potential to be different. ODU is no world beater and while they may be better, it’s not by much (close enough that we COULD win if we have a decent day). People on here have a tendency to think because things look one way RIGHT NOW, that they have no chance to change or improve. Things ALWAYS change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

We may not be favored in another game this season, but I will be surprised if we don’t win again. I think ODU, UTSA and FIU are the most likely wins for us.[/quote]What in the last 10 years of Charlotte athletics would ever lead you to think things are going to get better?

This athletic program is like the Door to Hell in Turkmenistan.

It is a former gas well that collapsed has been burning for decades. It has burned for so long because there is a seemingly never ending supply of gas and the government doesn’t know how to stop it from burning.

In our case, the gas is student fees and our AD is the government.

Those are some mighty strong green tinted glasses you got on there man.
Prescription strength.

Good for you.

I used to wear them all the time too but after 15+ years of constant and sustained disappointment in most every sport …I think life’s more sane without them.
I guess Niner virtual reality just isn’t my thing anymore.

Those are some mighty strong green tinted glasses you got on there man.
Prescription strength.

Good for you.

I used to wear them all the time too but after 15+ years of constant and sustained disappointment in most every sport …I think life’s more sane without them.
I guess Niner virtual reality just isn’t my thing anymore.[/quote]

I’ve been “around” since the 80s. I have seen it all. Things are never as good or as bad as we “fans” think. I am guilty of feeling that way sometimes as well.

Seriously.[/quote]

We may not be favored in another game this season, but I will be surprised if we don’t win again. I think ODU, UTSA and FIU are the most likely wins for us.[/quote]What in the last 10 years of Charlotte athletics would ever lead you to think things are going to get better?

This athletic program is like the Door to Hell in Turkmenistan.

It is a former gas well that collapsed has been burning for decades. It has burned for so long because there is a seemingly never ending supply of gas and the government doesn’t know how to stop it from burning.

In our case, the gas is student fees and our AD is the government.[/quote]

We have lots of “problems” yes, but we are heading the right way in men’s basketball I firmly believe. As for football, I have been a little disappointed but it (we) is NOT as bad you say considering this is early in year 4 of football.

[quote=“rtown49er, post:59, topic:30537”][quote=“Tintin, post:58, topic:30537”][quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:54, topic:30537”]Can we please now admit that this team isn’t ready for prime time. :-\ We are still a lower tier FCS team trick or treating as an FBS team. We have great players and all by themselves, they look very impressive, however together and on the field with true FBS talent (even those teams that are having a down year), our deficiencies are quickly exploited. I’m not bashing them, it’s just a matter of fact. I’m not giving up on this team, however my insanity of thinking (mostly hoping) that this team is going to shock and surprise top tier teams, ESPN, etc, was just that “insanity”. My balloon is now completely deflated and is safely back on the ground. I have placed all of my nuts (pun intended) into the basket of “time and patience”.

I will keep pulling for the 49’ers, wear the gear around Raleigh, fly my flags on my home and vehicles, however I will no longer defend our play by saying that we are still young, we moved up too quickly, I will simply say “go 49’ers”.[/quote]

Read my posts for the last three years. Enjoy the ride. Having football is better than not having football. We won’t compete for a few years and for once, that’s not Judy’s fault.[/quote]

Tintin is right…this is year 4 guys…hate to sound like a cliche…but Jimmies and Joes beat Xs and Os…we did some good things today…for now we’re going to have to be satisfied with having a program for the most part…[/quote]

There is one statement in your response that I agree with - “We are a 4 year program”. What I don’t agree with is the complacency that “We are just a 4 year program”. I also understand, like I stated in my original post, that we are an FCS Program posing as an FBS Program, however wins put the butts in the seats and allows others to feel much more comfortable giving up there are fought $$$'s. I appreciate the lashing we are taking on television by playing teams such as Louisville, however unless we are pushing for big $$$'s for playing such games, the loss of TV isn’t worth it. A bowl run this year would had been huge for this program regarding fan participation at games, donations, interest in Charlotte, media, etc., however we have decided to play teams that we should not be playing at this time and our talent level just so that we can be televised or brag that we go bitch-slapped by a better team. If that is the case, we should have tried to schedule Alabama, Louisville, and Clemson as our first three games (that would have been something to really brag about). I would had been OK with us playing as many “Charlotte-like” level teams so that wins would had been obtainable. Going into conference play with 3 wins would be a huge boost of confidence. Our margin for failure would had been much larger with that type of record. Instead, we have a lose to Louisville (automatic loss by anyone still breathing), Eastern Michigan (weak or not, they were still the odds favorite), and Temple (not as good as last year or not, they are still a much more talented team than us). Instead of stacking the deck in our favor, we are now 1-2 with the only chance in grabbing a bowl is that the other teams forfeit.

The idea that we are still young is a crutch that we use to often, however if it is a crutch, then dammit, play handicapped games (in our favor of course). Playing big talent teams and losing badly doesn’t promote this team, it sets such a young program back a couple of years in recruiting, donations and attendance.

Play for publicity (the good kind). Schedule highschool teams if we must to get to 6 wins, but get the wins. A bowl brings in $$'s, attendance, donations, recruits, and hopefully good publicity.

Go Niners.

Sorry 1-3 >:(

[quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:74, topic:30537”][quote=“rtown49er, post:59, topic:30537”][quote=“Tintin, post:58, topic:30537”][quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:54, topic:30537”]Can we please now admit that this team isn’t ready for prime time. :-\ We are still a lower tier FCS team trick or treating as an FBS team. We have great players and all by themselves, they look very impressive, however together and on the field with true FBS talent (even those teams that are having a down year), our deficiencies are quickly exploited. I’m not bashing them, it’s just a matter of fact. I’m not giving up on this team, however my insanity of thinking (mostly hoping) that this team is going to shock and surprise top tier teams, ESPN, etc, was just that “insanity”. My balloon is now completely deflated and is safely back on the ground. I have placed all of my nuts (pun intended) into the basket of “time and patience”.

I will keep pulling for the 49’ers, wear the gear around Raleigh, fly my flags on my home and vehicles, however I will no longer defend our play by saying that we are still young, we moved up too quickly, I will simply say “go 49’ers”.[/quote]

Read my posts for the last three years. Enjoy the ride. Having football is better than not having football. We won’t compete for a few years and for once, that’s not Judy’s fault.[/quote]

Tintin is right…this is year 4 guys…hate to sound like a cliche…but Jimmies and Joes beat Xs and Os…we did some good things today…for now we’re going to have to be satisfied with having a program for the most part…[/quote]

There is one statement in your response that I agree with - “We are a 4 year program”. What I don’t agree with is the complacency that “We are just a 4 year program”. I also understand, like I stated in my original post, that we are an FCS Program posing as an FBS Program, however wins put the butts in the seats and allows others to feel much more comfortable giving up there are fought $$$'s. I appreciate the lashing we are taking on television by playing teams such as Louisville, however unless we are pushing for big $$$'s for playing such games, the loss of TV isn’t worth it. A bowl run this year would had been huge for this program regarding fan participation at games, donations, interest in Charlotte, media, etc., however we have decided to play teams that we should not be playing at this time and our talent level just so that we can be televised or brag that we go b****-slapped by a better team. If that is the case, we should have tried to schedule Alabama, Louisville, and Clemson as our first three games (that would have been something to really brag about). I would had been OK with us playing as many “Charlotte-like” level teams so that wins would had been obtainable. Going into conference play with 3 wins would be a huge boost of confidence. Our margin for failure would had been much larger with that type of record. Instead, we have a lose to Louisville (automatic loss by anyone still breathing), Eastern Michigan (weak or not, they were still the odds favorite), and Temple (not as good as last year or not, they are still a much more talented team than us). Instead of stacking the deck in our favor, we are now 1-2 with the only chance in grabbing a bowl is that the other teams forfeit.

The idea that we are still young is a crutch that we use to often, however if it is a crutch, then dammit, play handicapped games (in our favor of course). Playing big talent teams and losing badly doesn’t promote this team, it sets such a young program back a couple of years in recruiting, donations and attendance.

Play for publicity (the good kind). Schedule highschool teams if we must to get to 6 wins, but get the wins. A bowl brings in $$'s, attendance, donations, recruits, and hopefully good publicity.

Go Niners.[/quote]

We couldn’t have scheduled a more winnable FBS game than EMU at home. They have historically been one of the worst FBS programs. They blew us out that is why everyone is upset. Most expected Louisville to blow us out (not by 56 points) and not to win at Temple (top 25 team last season).

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:76, topic:30537”][quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:74, topic:30537”][quote=“rtown49er, post:59, topic:30537”][quote=“Tintin, post:58, topic:30537”][quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:54, topic:30537”]Can we please now admit that this team isn’t ready for prime time. :-\ We are still a lower tier FCS team trick or treating as an FBS team. We have great players and all by themselves, they look very impressive, however together and on the field with true FBS talent (even those teams that are having a down year), our deficiencies are quickly exploited. I’m not bashing them, it’s just a matter of fact. I’m not giving up on this team, however my insanity of thinking (mostly hoping) that this team is going to shock and surprise top tier teams, ESPN, etc, was just that “insanity”. My balloon is now completely deflated and is safely back on the ground. I have placed all of my nuts (pun intended) into the basket of “time and patience”.

There is one statement in your response that I agree with - “We are a 4 year program”. What I don’t agree with is the complacency that “We are just a 4 year program”. I also understand, like I stated in my original post, that we are an FCS Program posing as an FBS Program, however wins put the butts in the seats and allows others to feel much more comfortable giving up there are fought $$$'s. I appreciate the lashing we are taking on television by playing teams such as Louisville, however unless we are pushing for big $$$'s for playing such games, the loss of TV isn’t worth it. A bowl run this year would had been huge for this program regarding fan participation at games, donations, interest in Charlotte, media, etc., however we have decided to play teams that we should not be playing at this time and our talent level just so that we can be televised or brag that we go b****-slapped by a better team. If that is the case, we should have tried to schedule Alabama, Louisville, and Clemson as our first three games (that would have been something to really brag about). I would had been OK with us playing as many “Charlotte-like” level teams so that wins would had been obtainable. Going into conference play with 3 wins would be a huge boost of confidence. Our margin for failure would had been much larger with that type of record. Instead, we have a lose to Louisville (automatic loss by anyone still breathing), Eastern Michigan (weak or not, they were still the odds favorite), and Temple (not as good as last year or not, they are still a much more talented team than us). Instead of stacking the deck in our favor, we are now 1-2 with the only chance in grabbing a bowl is that the other teams forfeit.

Go Niners.[/quote]

We couldn’t have scheduled a more winnable FBS game than EMU at home. They have historically been one of the worst FBS programs. They blew us out that is why everyone is upset. Most expected Louisville to blow us out (not by 56 points) and not to win at Temple (top 25 team last season).[/quote]

EMU’s “history” has nothing to do with their team this year unfortunately. They seem much improved as they sit 3-1 and are clearly NOT one of the worst teams this year.

Who should we have scheduled? Schedules are made in advance and based on that EMU should’ve been an easy opponent. Yes it turns out they are improved, but still. Looking around college football who could we have scheduled outside FIU, FAU, ODU and UTSA? Maybe Troy and Kent State…maybe Arkansas State and Miami (OH)…there weren’t a lot of options. Especially since the schedule is made 2-4 years in advance. I honestly think during the scheduling process, Louisville would be a loss but EMU and Temple should’ve been winnable. Obviously Temple is now a good team and of course EMU may end up having their best season in quite a while. We have 5 games remaining this against “beatable” opposition. 1 of them is Saturday and another is next Saturday. Win those 2 and we are 3-3. 3 games away from a bowl with 6 to play. We would then just have to go 3-3 the rest of the season to make a bowl. Making a bowl is still well within reach, especially if we win Saturday and get some momentum and confidence. However, based on what we have shown so far, I am not confident in us winning another game but I feel like Temple is a tough team and Louisville was never going to be a win. EMU is a game we killed ourselves and let get out of hand. So it’s hard to tell how things will play out. 1 thing is for sure, we will not beat Southern Miss and Marshall.

I agree with most of this. Turnovers really killed us against EMU. Unfortunately, it came in a “winnable” games if we protect the ball. We didn’t, so the game was lost.

Temple, EMU, and Georgia State were all very bad at the time we scheduled them. They are all on the upswing now though. I think the goal with 1 of our G-5 opponents (typically we’re 1P5, 2G5, and 1FCS) was to play an opponent we can/should win. I like our scheduling, it’s more a problem of the overall offensive/defensive schemes I think that is holding us back.