Charlotte Basball - Week of April 21st

2-0 last week. I wish we hadn’t had two winnable games washed out. Especially the series finale against Tulane. It’s stll a series win, so I’ll take it. We’re out of the basement, let’s keep climbing. This will be a challenging week with 5 games against top 100 opponents. Two weekday games against Wake Forest before travelling to San Antonio. Hudgens will get the start on Tuesday after having his start washed out on Saturday. Vogler will back him up. Shive gets the start on Wednesday. The weekend rotation should be the same as usual.

Charlotte 11-24-1 (4-13)
RPI: 215
SOS: 73

C-USA RPI: 10th

Upcoming games:
Tuesday: @ WFU - 6 pm. 25-17 (12-9 ACC) RPI: 45
Wednesday: WFU - 6 pm.
Friday: @ UTSA - 7 pm. 26-14 (11-7 C-USA) RPI: 81
Saturday: @ UTSA - 3 pm.
Sunday: @ UTSA - 12:30 pm.

Current statistics: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/Basestats/2014/teamcume.htm
Conference standings and RPI: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/conference/Conference%20USA

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28779”]2-0 last week. I wish we hadn’t had two winable games washed out. Especially the series finale against Tulane. It’s stll a series win, so I’ll take it. We’re out of the basement, let’s keep climbing. This will be a challenging week with 5 games against top 100 opponents. Two weekday games against Wake Forest before travelling to San Antonio. Hudgens will get the start on Tuesday after having his start washed out on Saturday. Vogler will back him up. Shive gets the start on Wednesday. The weekend rotation should be the same as usual.

Charlotte 11-24-1 (4-13)
RPI: 215
SOS: 73

C-USA RPI: 10th

Upcoming games:
Tuesday: @ WFU - 6 pm. 25-17 (12-9 ACC) RPI: 45
Wednesday: WFU - 6 pm.
Friday: @ UTSA - 7 pm. 26-14 (11-7 C-USA) RPI: 81
Saturday: @ UTSA - 3 pm.
Sunday: @ UTSA - 12:30 pm.

Current statistics: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/Basestats/2014/teamcume.htm
Conference standings and RPI: http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/conference/Conference%20USA[/quote]

We are only 4 and a half games out of 8th place with 12 games to go. Making the tourney is still possible. I think we’ll know just how much we have improved after this coming weekend.

We need a good crowd at both Wake games this week.

I can’t make it up to Wake tomorrow but I plan to be at The Hayes on Wednesday.

I am a big Hibbs fan, but tonights game seemed like we kind of out smarted ourselves a little. I know we had Hudgens on a pitch count, but he had a 1 hitter going headed to the 4th and a 3-0 lead. We put Vogler in and he gave up 3 straight hits. Everything went down hill from there. Later we were down 5-3 and we pulled Davis off the mound and put in another guy (can’t remember who now…we used a lot of guys) and he gave up a 3 run homer to the first guy he faced…game over 8-3. note: have not been able to see the controversial call that gave wake 2 runs and 5-3 lead instead of ending the inning tied at 3. seemed to put us into a funk.

I wish they would have just let Brock go, but I understand why he was on a pitch count and I respect that. It sucks that the guys behind him didn’t get it done with the exception of Sherer. These are the guys we will be counting on next season.

More concerning is our offense. We continue to struggle at the plate. It seems like we have 1 or 2 innings where we get a couple of runs each game, and then shut it down for the remainder.

The defense has improved over the last few games. That’s a good thing.

I checked the highlights on Wake’s site. Of course they left out the 2 run “hit” in the 5th inning from the highlight reel.

Resident Wake fan in the office said the Deacon fans had high-regards for our play-by-play guy on the stream. Said he was really enjoyable to listen to.

I wish they would have just let Brock go, but I understand why he was on a pitch count and I respect that. It sucks that the guys behind him didn’t get it done with the exception of Sherer. These are the guys we will be counting on next season.

More concerning is our offense. We continue to struggle at the plate. It seems like we have 1 or 2 innings where we get a couple of runs each game, and then shut it down for the remainder.

I checked the highlights on Wake’s site. Of course they left out the 2 run “hit” in the 5th inning from the highlight reel.[/quote]
Well, thru the first 2 innings offense was great last night and through innings 3-5 we were still hitting well, but then couldn’t get the guys home (similar to what we were doing earlier in the year). In fact, at one point last night (maybe in 4th or 5th), our leadoff hitter got to 3rd after a single, a stolen base and a passed ball with NO OUTS and he never got home. The next 2 guys struck out and then we had a pop up to end the inning, IIRC. Another inning we had 2 on with 1 out I think and neither got home. :frowning:

Sean Fox took over the radio and baseball SID duties this year I must say that I have enjoyed listening to him also.

I just wish I could listen to him for home games that I miss without having to pay for it.

I checked the highlights on Wake’s site. Of course they left out the 2 run “hit” in the 5th inning from the highlight reel.[/quote]

I would have liked to have seen what Brock could have done with them too. He’s having a good season. I like our chances with Corbin tonight.

As for the highlight reel, that tells you everything you need to know about the call. How many times do you leave a 2 RBI single out of a highlight package? Lol.

Tonight there will be rum and cigars for Jobu.

Don’t forget the live chicken.

I’ll see if 49r9r will pick one up for us. Good thinking.

Jobu delivers.

12 runs on 16 hits. Niners win 12-4.

Great effort by Shive and the offense delivered tonight.

We’ve just been playing cleaner baseball of late. Wake was the sloppy team tonight.

LOL @ their coach for getting thrown out in the second for arguing a call.

We’ve just been playing cleaner baseball of late. Wake was the sloppy team tonight.

LOL @ their coach for getting thrown out in the second for arguing a call.
[/quote]

That was definitely a fair ball, with the ball clearly going over the corner of the bag. Their 3rd baseman looked like he did not even try to make a play on it. A few innings later, Wake hit a ball to the same spot and we threw the batter out at 1st.

I wish there was a way to replay the first part of the season, but we still have a shot at making the conference tourney.

I would have liked to have seen what Brock could have done with them too. He’s having a good season. I like our chances with Corbin tonight.

As for the highlight reel, that tells you everything you need to know about the call. How many times do you leave a 2 RBI single out of a highlight package? Lol.

Tonight there will be rum and cigars for Jobu.[/quote]

It was a great game and it was great to see you, 49r9r, and the rest of the 9ers baseball junkies tonight, Don’t forget about Budha, either, Alumnus. ;D

LOL @ their coach for getting thrown out in the second for arguing a call.[/quote]

Only 1 error in the last 5 games. Good pitching + good defense will keep you in most games. Glad to see the offense put some runs on the board. I hope we carry that momentum into the weekend against a good UTSA team.

Coach Hibbs’ weekend preview: http://youtu.be/TpN4XHyWISg

Sean Fox took over the radio and baseball SID duties this year I must say that I have enjoyed listening to him also.

I just wish I could listen to him for home games that I miss without having to pay for it.[/quote]Apparently, the Wake feed went out so the Wake fans just tuned into the Charlotte one. Many of them stayed with the Charlotte feed because he was so entertaining.

Niners take game one in San Antonio 5-2. Four straight conference wins.