Charlotte Baseball Thread - Week of March 3

Left 11 men on-base by my count, while UNCA left only 3 I think…This team is really struggling right now. :([/quote]

I thought this was going to be the type of game to get us going and get us some confidence. It has done the opposite.[/quote]. me too…:frowning:

A Charlotte sports tradition![/quote]
As per the case all year it seems, we have as many hits (or more) than our opponent but we keep leaving them on base.[/quote]

Do you think a change in the batting order would help?

Left 11 men on-base by my count, while UNCA left only 3 I think…This team is really struggling right now. :([/quote]

I thought this was going to be the type of game to get us going and get us some confidence. It has done the opposite.

If we keep this up, the weekend may get ugly.[/quote]

Boys, we got problems.[/quote]

Yes we do. Base running still needs to improve too. We had 2 runners on with 1 out and get picked off second.

[quote=“metro, post:19, topic:28668”]UNC Fox
220k[/quote]

Charlotte 49ers Girls Basketball Coach makes 160,000.[/quote]

Are you telling me our women’s basketball coach makes almost as much as our football coach and more than twice as much as our baseball coach? I doubt the pay scale is this disproportional at other schools.

A Charlotte sports tradition![/quote]
As per the case all year it seems, we have as many hits (or more) than our opponent but we keep leaving them on base.[/quote]

Do you think a change in the batting order would help?[/quote]

I think we have had a different line-up every game so far this year. Lots of new pieces this year with jucos and freshmen.

I think I like the defensive line-up today. I would just move Des Roberts back to CF, Gallello in RF, and Sherer at DH.

Well, then, do you think a consistent order would help? There’s obviously an issue if we’re getting people on base so regularly but not bringing them in.

I admittedly haven’t watched, but leaving that many guys on base, are we lacking a couple deep threats? Hard to single people to death.

[quote=“2k, post:47, topic:28668”]I admittedly haven’t watched, but leaving that many guys on base, are we lacking a couple deep threats? Hard to single people to death.[/quote]we could definitely use some more power in the lineup. we have been a small ball team for several years though.

Leaving runners stranded is nothing new for us. I think college baseball in general went away from quite as much power when they changed the bats, but we can definitely use more power. With that said, I think some of our new players will be providing some additional power.

One area that we have been lacking so far this year is stolen bases. I think we only have 3 SBs so far this year.
We lost almost all of our base stealing threats from last year. Those guys got on base and made things happen, and we manufactured runs.

I havent seen that this year. I hope guys like Hill, Roberts, Nichting and Creech can start making things happen on the bases.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:50, topic:28668”]One area that we have been lacking so far this year is stolen bases. I think we only have 3 SBs so far this year.
We lost almost all of our base stealing threats from last year. Those guys got on base and made things happen, and we manufactured runs.

I havent seen that this year. I hope guys like Hill, Roberts, Nichting and Creech can start making things happen on the bases.[/quote]
Yes, this is definitely true. I still think these guys are going to be good eventually--------its just a question of how deep of a hole are we going to be in before that happens.

[quote=“49r9r, post:34, topic:28668”][quote=“hootie, post:18, topic:28668”]Hibbs only makes 70K? wow, I know it’s not like football or basketball but hardly seems worth it (to Hibbs I mean)

220k[/quote]

Charlotte 49ers Girls Basketball Coach makes 160,000.[/quote] Women’s bb coach at Chapel Hill makes considerably more than Fox. If what I read in the newspaper is correct, all of our former women’s coaches make more than Chapel Hill. In fact, I wouldn’t be at all
surprised if Aston makes more at Texas than Major does here. College sports pay is crazy and we fit right in with the rest. I’d guess that Consuegra makes the most of any UNC system coach outside the ACC, but we play
in a higher profile league than any outside the ACC (for wbb in the UNC system).[/quote]

Really not sure what that last post means. Bcs schools pay alot to oir former girls coaches?

But back to baseball pay…ecu coach makes coin

We’ve struggled with power for a few years like others have said but I think we definitely could use one big bat in the lineup. Freshman Sherer has the only one so far so hopefully he will grow into a consistent power hitter we need.

Guys are still making base running mistakes, not trying to single out Elwood as others are making mistakes as well but getting picked off second yesterday with 2 on and one out killed the momentum of that inning. I would also like to see our strikeouts numbers go down with runners on base but with a young team some of that is expected as they get used to college pitching. Hopefully the offense gets going we’ve had decent pitching so far but would be nice for them to have a few stress free innings with a big lead.

Trouble in Turn 4.

This is not looking good. Our OOC record should not be this bad,
even with young players.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:55, topic:28668”]Trouble in Turn 4.

This is not looking good. Our OOC record should not be this bad,
even with young players.[/quote]

No doubt, but it has been uncanny how we have lost most of these games. Strange errors, outhitting our opponents but just not getting guys around with “timely hits”, leaving tons of guys on base… Record does stink though, regardless.

220k[/quote]

Charlotte 49ers Girls Basketball Coach makes 160,000.[/quote]

And same school that pays Fox 220k pays their “girls” basketball coach 360k.

I won’t be surprised if Friday’s game is postponed and we play a DH on Saturday.

Who’s tailgating Sat?

If the time stays the same, I probably will be. (at least for an hour or maybe 2). Bojangles said he probably will. If Friday’s game is postponed and they play a DH on Saturday and make the first game earlier, I may or may not be tailgating.