Charlotte Baseball - Week of 2/24

Shive did well on the mound. Definitely could have gotten this one. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.

Nah, I don’t think so. I think baseball is going to be alright this year, but Creech’s 2 errors literally cost us the game today. I noticed he had ZERO errors last season (in 7 games) playing at 2B though, so hopefully it was just a fluke thing.

Nah, I don’t think so. I think baseball is going to be alright this year, but Creech’s 2 errors literally cost us the game today. I noticed he had ZERO errors last season (in 7 games) playing at 2B though, so hopefully it was just a fluke thing.[/quote]

I think Creech will be OK. He made some outstanding plays at short and didn’t commit any errors in 3 games this past weekend. He has good range and a good arm from what I saw.

I am more worried about our bats getting going. I know we 2/3 of our line-up is new from last year, but we have to start stringing hits together and producing runs.

Good chance to bounce back today at the Citadel. They have some big wins this year over Louisville and VT, but were swept by some quality teams at the UCF Tourney. Jason Harris will get his 1st start of the year. He has struggles some out of the pen this year, but I think he does better as a starter. We will see today.

Preview of The Citadel from BA:

Expect The Citadel to be WCU’s greatest competition for the SoCon title, and another contender for an at-large regional bid. The balanced Bulldogs expect nine upperclassmen to earn starting roles. Switch-hitting Jr. 2B Mason Davis and Sr. CF Hughston Armstrong provide speed, while Jr. DH Bo Thompson (14 HR), Sr. RF Tyler Griffin (12 HR) and Sr. 1B Calvin Orth (7 HR) deliver most of the power, though six returning Bulldogs hit five or more homers last year. So. RHP Skylar Hunter (13 SV) gives the bullpen a talented anchor with a 92-93 fastball and hard curve .

Nah, I don’t think so. I think baseball is going to be alright this year, but Creech’s 2 errors literally cost us the game today. I noticed he had ZERO errors last season (in 7 games) playing at 2B though, so hopefully it was just a fluke thing.[/quote]

I think Creech will be OK. He made some outstanding plays at short and didn’t commit any errors in 3 games this past weekend. He has good range and a good arm from what I saw.

I am more worried about our bats getting going. I know we 2/3 of our line-up is new from last year, but we have to start stringing hits together and producing runs.

Good chance to bounce back today at the Citadel. They have some big wins this year over Louisville and VT, but were swept by some quality teams at the UCF Tourney. Jason Harris will get his 1st start of the year. He has struggles some out of the pen this year, but I think he does better as a starter. We will see today.

Preview of The Citadel from BA:

Expect The Citadel to be WCU’s greatest competition for the SoCon title, and another contender for an at-large regional bid. The balanced Bulldogs expect nine upperclassmen to earn starting roles. Switch-hitting Jr. 2B Mason Davis and Sr. CF Hughston Armstrong provide speed, while Jr. DH Bo Thompson (14 HR), Sr. RF Tyler Griffin (12 HR) and Sr. 1B Calvin Orth (7 HR) deliver most of the power, though six returning Bulldogs hit five or more homers last year. So. RHP Skylar Hunter (13 SV) gives the bullpen a talented anchor with a 92-93 fastball and hard curve .[/quote]
Last time I was on the field at Riley Park the wind was brutal, it blows straight into the stadium and swirls. UNCA lost in the bottom of the 9th because of a 2 out pop up that started in right field blew over to center and then swirled back into right and dropped to the ground. The outfielders looked like chickens with their heads cut off trying to get under the ball

It looks like Gallello is starting in place of Creech today at SS.

Links for the game:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/charlotte.portal?DB_OEM_ID=23200&mode=link#

http://livestats.prestosports.com/citadel/

Relief pitching. >:( :blank:

1 bad inning kills us again. 1 strike away from getting out of the 8th with a 4-2 lead. We give up 6 runs to lose 8-4. Gotta clean up the bullpen blow ups.

Everything else was positive tonight.

Fire Hibbs!!

Fire Judy!! I can’t believe she gave that guy an extention! What has he done to deserve it?? When was the last line we went to the NCAA’s???

Fire Judy!! I can’t believe she gave that guy an extention! What has he done to deserve it?? When was the last line we went to the NCAA’s???[/quote]
Wow, funny stuff… ::slight_smile:

Fire Judy!! I can’t believe she gave that guy an extention! What has he done to deserve it?? When was the last line we went to the NCAA’s???[/quote]

This was probably meant to be a joke, but since you asked. Hibbs has 3 NCAA bids since our last NCAA appearance in hoops (2007, 2008, 2011). Also has trips in 93 and 98.

I think he is tied with our last basketball coach for most NCAA trips by any 49ers coach with 5.

This was probably meant to be a joke, but since you asked. Hibbs has 3 NCAA bids since our last NCAA appearance in hoops (2007, 2008, 2011). Also has trips in 93 and 98.

I think he is tied with our last basketball coach for most NCAA trips by any 49ers coach with 5.[/quote]

I was joking, but it is interesting he went 9 yrs between appearances between 98 and 2007. That is some serious patience from Judy.

I think he is tied with our last basketball coach for most NCAA trips by any 49ers coach with 5.[/quote]

I was joking, but it is interesting he went 9 yrs between appearances between 98 and 2007. That is some serious patience from Judy.[/quote]
You do realize we literally had the worst facility in D1 baseball (atleast in the Carolinas) until 2007, right?

I hate that excuse. You are right, but I hate using that as an excuse for not winning. The best team that we’ve ever had played in that facility. Maybe even the best 2 or 3 teams we’ve had.

I was joking, but it is interesting he went 9 yrs between appearances between 98 and 2007. That is some serious patience from Judy.[/quote]

Judy was probably too busy fighting for football during those years to pay attention to our baseball program.

It was most definitely a joke, but since it’s got some traction let me ask. Have we ever gotten out of a regional? I’m asking because I really don’t know, but I don’t think we have.

Not sure if the current system was in place in the 90’s, btw

It was most definitely a joke, but since it’s got some traction let me ask. Have we ever gotten out of a regional? I’m asking because I really don’t know, but I don’t think we have.

Not sure if the current system was in place in the 90’s, btw[/quote]

No. Closest we have come is the Regional Championship in 2007 when we beat NC State twice, and then lost to South Carolina.

2011, we beat Arkansas in the 1st game of the regionals and then lost to Arizona State and Arkansas.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:37, topic:28645”][quote=“hootie, post:36, topic:28645”]It was most definitely a joke, but since it’s got some traction let me ask. Have we ever gotten out of a regional? I’m asking because I really don’t know, but I don’t think we have.

Not sure if the current system was in place in the 90’s, btw[/quote]

No. Closest we have come is the Regional Championship in 2007 when we beat NC State twice, and then lost to South Carolina.

2011, we beat Arkansas in the 1st game of the regionals and then lost to Arizona State and Arkansas.[/quote]

We’ve got 3 wins total in the NCAA’s. Ever. I’ve been at all 3 of them.

Hard to believe we didn’t win a couple in nat championships in 1992 to 1995. Had one of the best pitchers of all time on the hill ^-^

You do realize we literally had the worst facility in D1 baseball (atleast in the Carolinas) until 2007, right?[/quote]

So we get there in 93 and 98 with the WORST facilities in the Carolinas and then people finally realize we have the worst facilities, we don’t make it for 9 years and our good for nothing AD raises the funds to build us better facilites and we win again. Got it.