Charlotte Baseball - Week of 2/24

Fire Judy!! I can’t believe she gave that guy an extention! What has he done to deserve it?? When was the last line we went to the NCAA’s???[/quote]

This was probably meant to be a joke, but since you asked. Hibbs has 3 NCAA bids since our last NCAA appearance in hoops (2007, 2008, 2011). Also has trips in 93 and 98.

I think he is tied with our last basketball coach for most NCAA trips by any 49ers coach with 5.[/quote]

I was joking, but it is interesting he went 9 yrs between appearances between 98 and 2007. That is some serious patience from Judy.[/quote]
You do realize we literally had the worst facility in D1 baseball (atleast in the Carolinas) until 2007, right?[/quote]

So we get there in 93 and 98 with the WORST facilities in the Carolinas and then people finally realize we have the worst facilities, we don’t make it for 9 years and our good for nothing AD raises the funds to build us better facilites and we win again. Got it.[/quote]
Wow, never said getting it done in that facility was impossible. The point is it makes it much tougher with pathetic facilities and thus, at the very least harder to be successful on a regular basis. Of course, you already knew that-----but just wanted to be “snarky” about it. Knock yourself out.

Another quality OOC series this weekend at the Hayes as Creighton come to town. They have been to the NCAAs 2 out of the last 3 seasons and are picked by the coaches and Baseball America to win the Big East this year.

They are coming off a series win over Minnesota but were swept by Arkansas-Little Rock to start their season.

Here is the Baseball America Preview of Creighton:

[font=helvetica][size=14px]Team to Beat: Creighton.[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica][size=14px]After back-to-back regional trips in 2011 and 2012 and another 30-win season in 2013, the Bluejays arrive as the favorites in the retooled Big East. Jr. 2B Jake Peter leads a lineup stocked with veterans, especially in its senior-laden outfield. They’ll get a boost from the return of center fielder Mike Gerber, an athletic, instinctive player on both sides of the ball. Gerber hit .328 in 33 games last season before being lost to an appendectomy in April. The Bluejays will roll out an all-sophomore weekend rotation, with RHP Tommy Strunc showing the most promise of the group.[/size][/font]

[font=helvetica][size=14px]Player of the Year: Jake Peter, 2b, Creighton.[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica][size=14px]The well-rounded Peter finished third in the MVC in batting (.350) last year and has more strength than his numbers will show, playing his home games at TD Ameritrade Park.[/size][/font]

We will go with the same rotation as last weekend of Butler, Roberts, and Hudgens.

Let’s get back on track and get some wins!

Major’s 1st season:

• Finished the season with 8 straight conference losses

Major’s 4th season:

• Currently in the midst of a 6 game conference losing streak

So what has Major learned in his 4 years as a head coach?

• Oh that’s right, he’s actually worse because he’s now repeating the pattern with his own players and in a MUCH weaker basketball conference.

[quote=“SteauA, post:45, topic:28645”]Major’s 1st season:

Major’s 4th season:

• Oh that’s right, he’s actually worse because he’s now repeating the pattern with his own players and in a MUCH weaker basketball conference.[/quote]

Our basketball is so bad we want to talk about it in baseball thread :))

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:46, topic:28645”][quote=“SteauA, post:45, topic:28645”]Major’s 1st season:

Major’s 4th season:

• Oh that’s right, he’s actually worse because he’s now repeating the pattern with his own players and in a MUCH weaker basketball conference.[/quote]

Our basketball is so bad we want to talk about it in baseball thread :))[/quote]
This…I kept waiting for the baseball connection in SteauA’s post…to no avail.

We’ve got some bullpen problems. Blew another late lead tonight to lose 7-6.

It is surprising to me since we have some seniors in the pen who have been solid their whole career, and now are struggling for whatever reason.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:48, topic:28645”]We’ve got some bullpen problems. Blew another late lead tonight to lose 7-6.

It is surprising to me since we have some seniors in the pen who have been solid their whole career, and now are struggling for whatever reason.[/quote]

To quote Charles Pipkins, “I mean, I don’t understand.”

Quick story. One of freakiest athletes in ncaa baseballl history- Darren Driefort. Wichita St guy. Threw 97mph, hit 25 homers his jr yr. Made millions w dodgers. His bro Todd is old teammate.

He never started at WSU. They would get up 1 run and its 5/6 inn and bring him in. Game over…then rest 2 days.

Make Butler that guy. Dont be shocked.

[quote=“metro, post:50, topic:28645”]Quick story. One of freakiest athletes in ncaa baseballl history- Darren Driefort. Wichita St guy. Threw 97mph, hit 25 homers his jr yr. Made millions w dodgers. His bro Todd is old teammate.

He never started at WSU. They would get up 1 run and its 5/6 inn and bring him in. Game over…then rest 2 days.

Make Butler that guy. Dont be shocked.[/quote]

That might be a pretty drastic move. I wouldn’t pull the trigger on that move yet, but if we keep blowing leads, that might be worth looking into.

Butler is a C-USA caliber weekend starter and I don’t know if we have anyone to fill his spot in the rotation if he goes to the pen.

5 straight losses…tough times to be a Niner.

That describes most times.

baseball still feels different to me. they are very young and are losing close games mostly in odd fashion. I think they will be fine.

We’ll have to wait and see if we progress as the season continues. We’re not good enough to overcome the mistakes we make. Roberts had one heck of an outing today but didn’t get the help he needed at the plate.

I definitely think we will get better, but the schedule doesn’t get any easier from here on out on the weekend with C-USA play starting now. We probably could have used a few cupcakes leading in to the 30 game conference schedule, but by playing high quality teams it will only make us better in the long run.

You can see the roster overhaul in progress with all the new guys in the line-up. Still frustrating the way we are losing.

We need Creech to start hitting and become our everyday SS. Gallello has a better bat right now and that is why he is out there. Gallello does whatever is asked of him, but he has looked shakey this weekend at SS. It cost us today. He is best suited for 3B, 2b or OF.

Good thing is our starting pitching has been near lights out this year. We can build on that.

Baseball rebuilding after 20 yrs under Hibbs???

Irony is so friggin’ thick…

[quote=“hootie, post:57, topic:28645”]Baseball rebuilding after 20 yrs under Hibbs???

Irony is so friggin’ thick…[/quote] More like rebuilding after too many years in the A10.
We’d be much better, however, if Hibbs could give a decent interview. ;D

[quote=“hootie, post:57, topic:28645”]Baseball rebuilding after 20 yrs under Hibbs???

Irony is so friggin’ thick…[/quote]

It’s only ironic if there are people unhappy about our basketball performance while being happy about baseball’s performance. I haven’t seen that. There were a lot of concerns going into this year. I think that was made pretty clear prior to the start of the season. Now we have to see if the team can get better as the season progresses. I think that’s fair.

Our baseball program had the best record in the A10 during our stay there. If basketball can do the same in CUSA-3, we will be fine.