Charlotte- Best in NC next year??

[b]Downey graduates and Paul is leaving, so who will play point guard now???? [/b]

My point was that Downey really wasnā€™t a natural point guard, and Wake was still good. Justin Gray was recruited as a PG so I imagine he could do the job.

[i]Originally posted by ElDuke[/i]@Apr 18 2005, 02:16 PM [b]
[b]Wake is going to be terrible without a PG. So at least weā€™ll be better than Wake[/b]

Wake won the ACC regular season 3 years ago with Downey running the point. If Eric Williams returns, then Wake will still be pretty solid. If not, they will be ok but not great. As far as the rest, NC State should be pretty good, even without Hodge. There were times this year that State looked better when Hodge was out of the game. UNC could lose everyone, in which case they will struggle somewhat, but Roy doesnā€™t suck so they will be ok. If Shelden Williams doesnā€™t end up in the draft then Duke will be a National title contender, if he goes then Duke will still be very, very good. Who did you guys lose this year? [/b]

I havenā€™t paid attention to their recruiting class, but seem to remember run saying they were in on several top flight PGs. Maybe that was for 2006 though.

If Justin Gray is forced to run the team, they will suffer for it. He will shoot first like Demon did too often. Heā€™s a good play, but much better suited to the 2. If they have a frosh coming in who can keep him there, theyā€™ll be ok with him & Williams.

Our roster for next season is not set yet, pending the NBA Draft withdrawal deadline. We are certain to lose Plavich, Sager & Basden. Possible we could lose Withers to the draft (doubt it, heā€™ll improve his stock if he stays) & Iti is Itiā€¦ you never know.

Weā€™re adding 6 players who didnt play for us last year: Alexander & Bennett should be good replacements for Plav & Basden, although theyā€™re different players. The two Jerrellā€™s (Jamison & Lewis) add depth at the wing, Coleman is a wide bodyw ho can play the 4/5, and Mitch Mullis adds more depth to the 3/4, though he appears to be a role player at this point.

Weā€™ll be ok, but we still donā€™t have the horses to entertain the orginal posterā€™s notion. We need a PG or a breakout season from Baldwin, and we need consistent production from the 5 and better team defense to even begin to make that argument.

We will be deep though. Weā€™ll have a lot of fouls to give if we wanna play that style.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Apr 15 2005, 09:28 AM [b] When you lose to ECU and Herb Sendek, you lose all mention of being the best in state for at least three years. [/b]
OUCH!!!!

That hurts, but its true. well put.

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@Apr 15 2005, 10:16 AM [b] clt says the niners are the best team in nc other than campbell and uncp. [/b]
clt, come on. I will give you campbell, they are probably better than the 9ers, but UNCP?!? We are slightly better than them. Also, you didn't mention meredith college whom we are better than as well. Get your facts straight before you post.
[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Apr 18 2005, 01:39 PM [b] Let me ask you this. If you think it all comes down to recruiting (which I tend to agree with), and if you think the ACC will always have the upperhand in recruiting, then why do you even pull for the Niners? We're doomed to fail forever from that perspective. [/b]
Are we only allowed to be fans when we're winning? Can we not pull for ANY team that doesn't have ACC tradition? Is not measuring up to ACC teams (which have hundreds of years of tradition by the way) considered failure?

Your questioning of my ā€œrealisticā€ view of our program makes it sound like YOU are not a true fan. If you are only interested in pulling for us when we are the best team in NCā€¦then you may not be a true fan. I know we will never have the consistent sweet 16ā€™s and 20 win seasons and Natā€™l titles that the ACC teams haveā€¦but I still love my school and will still be a supportive fan of the team. Does ā€œreasonableā€ expectations make me less of a fan? I want us to be great (and maybe one day we will beā€¦look how far weā€™ve come in the last 10yrs)ā€¦but I will still be a fan when we arenā€™t.

Fairweather fans only pull for teams when they win. Frontrunner fans only pull for winning teams. I pull for the Niners because I am a part of the University and I have pride in that. Thatā€™s why I am a fanā€¦and no we donā€™t have to be the best team in NC for me to want to pull for this team.

Maybe you (or others) need that type of validation to be a Niner fanā€¦but I donā€™t. I just want our team to play hard, compete, have consistent league success and with some luck maybe have a run in the Dance every 4-5 yrs.

And if anyone on here cares to step away from the Niner Green Tinted glasses for a minuteā€¦my reasonable expectations are pretty impressive for a lot of schoolsā€¦ours included. Odds are, we will never have the best team in NCā€¦so does that mean I canā€™t pull for my alma matersā€™ team? Does that mean you will cease to be a Niner fan if we never have the best team in NC?

Your point was just as laughable as this thread topic. A teamā€™ success, relative success or perceived success should have NOTHING to do with whether or not you or I or anyone else is a fan.

I am a fan because I have a vested (time & money) interest in the university I attended and I will support the team that represents itā€¦period. Win or loseā€¦good or bad.

I think Normmm is trying to sayā€¦we should never be satisfied finishing second. We should always want more. Reality is we are a mid-major who plays above our heads. That doesnā€™t mean someday we canā€™t be a high major, making deep runs on a consistent basis. Also, I can vouch that Normmm is far from a fair-weather fan. He fights for respect as much as anyone I know.

lutz9er agrees with skeptics that Niners will not have a good chance at being 1BT. I would put my money on 5BT. I think we might be better than Wake. I do feel like we could beat any ACC team next year in a game. I just donā€™t think we will come out ahead of the ā€œbig 4ā€ when you tally our wins, and tournament results from next season. I guess it would be possible to be 1BT but highly, highly unlikely. I predict 4BT, we either overtake Carolina, Wake, or maybe state, but not duke. Their new guys are 2 good and coach K is himself.

By the way Normmm,

No disrespect or personal issues with you at allā€¦I just had to rant. I just donā€™t think you have to convince yourself that our program is something that itsā€™ not simply to be a fan.

Alot of people only follow or care about the Niners when we win. Students that go to school here have no pride at allā€¦unless we win. Personally, thatā€™s embarrassing to know that MY schoolā€™s student body is that apathetic about THEIR OWN school.

Sorry the rant appeared directed at you.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Apr 18 2005, 02:58 PM [b] I think Normmm is trying to say...we should never be satisfied finishing second. We should always want more. Reality is we are a mid-major who plays above our heads. That doesn't mean someday we can't be a high major, making deep runs on a consistent basis. Also, I can vouch that Normmm is far from a fair-weather fan. He fights for respect as much as anyone I know. [/b]
my guess is ktown49er means next year and the near future we don't have a shot at 1BT. I am sure he has some dream in the back of his mind that most hardcore niners have that in years or decades the Niners will have another Final Four or NCAA title or our first "state championship" (1BT). That how I interpeted him.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Apr 18 2005, 02:58 PM [b] I think Normmm is trying to say...we should never be satisfied finishing second. We should always want more. Reality is we are a mid-major who plays above our heads. That doesn't mean someday we can't be a high major, making deep runs on a consistent basis. Also, I can vouch that Normmm is far from a fair-weather fan. He fights for respect as much as anyone I know. [/b]
And I agree with that.

We can never be satisfiedā€¦we must always try to improve.

But we are what we are. And Iā€™m OK with that. That doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m any less of a fan than anyone else.

Againā€¦I hate the rant appeared directed at Normmmā€¦because it wasnā€™t.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Apr 18 2005, 03:02 PM [b] my guess is ktown49er means next year and the near future we don't have a shot at 1BT. I am sure he has some dream in the back of his mind that most hardcore niners have that in years or decades the Niners will have another Final Four or NCAA title or our first "state championship" (1BT). That how I interpeted him. [/b]
Bingo

And no matter how it turned out, you guys were not only the best in NC in 1977, but possibly in the Nation. I thought you were absolutely HOSED in the Marquette game.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er+Apr 18 2005, 04:06 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (KTown49er @ Apr 18 2005, 04:06 PM)