Charlotte campus of Chapel Hill MBA coming?

Of his discussions with UNC Charlotte leaders about Kenan-Flagler expanding to Charlotte, Shackelford said, “I would say that we kind of reached an understanding. I guess that’s the best way to put it.”

Translation: “We are bringing the UNC Chapel Hill MBA program into your city and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. Do you understand?”

1 Like

I hate to say it, but we will always be the red headed stepchild (no disrespect to any redheads in the forum) within the UNC system. This relates to both academics and athletics. As we keep growing, it will only become more and more worse. When we were small, there was no real concern, but as we have grown, they must feel the need to flex their muscles a bit more to keep our foot off of the throttle. The city of Charlotte only cares about the $$, no matter if it is Chapel Hill or Kiss My A$$ University. Can we do the same in other areas in the NC, absolutely, do we have the financial backing of external funding sources, absolutely not. The main difference between us and them is that they have many more extremely successful alumni that don’t mind spending money for Chapel Hill to grow (even if it isn’t really needed). We are lucky if we have enough external money in our coffers to sod the soccer fields. For us to do what they are doing, we would have to beg and plead with the BOG and take out loans, which neither would be approved.

We are just in a $hitty state of affairs as alumni that no longer want to be subservient to the UNC Overlords and it makes them nervous. Unless we start attracting big dollar donors or become private, nothing is ever going to change. We will always be just good enough to be an average university in NC from both an academic and athletic prospective.

I hope our new Chancellor has the gumption to push back, but I don’t see her biting the hand that feeds her. If the Overlords get their way, they will continue to cater to potential donors in Charlotte so that they don’t look our way, and as such, the proverbial foot in our a$$ will continue to prevail.

However this turns out, I’m still PROUD as hell to be an alumni of Charlotte University and wouldn’t trade my diploma or the education I obtained for anything from Chapel Hill.

#DAMNARAM #NINERFORLIFER

We are fighting back!

chris evans attack GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

the lord of the rings no GIF

2 Likes

Until Johnny Harris and the Bissell family types age out it is tough sledding. It is so important to jump on the new Corporate transplants that move to Charlotte. Win in academics and sports and lock them in.

sideshow mel riot GIF

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article200958494.html

The Tar Heel signs have already proved contentious elsewhere. The sign along I-85 in Charlotte ended up too close to the campus of UNC Charlotte for some tastes. After some blowback from fans of the Charlotte 49ers, NCDOT agreed to move the sign to Interstate 77 near the South Carolina line.

I want to hear directly from the Charlotte leadership. What is their position on the this? Do they think it’s acceptable? Their position will tell us everything we need to know about the future of our great University.

Are we going to aspire to be great? Or, complacent with being 2nd tier?

I agree…why do we need another MBA program in town…ESPECIALLY when you consider the untold number of online programs. I’m reminded daily it seems via annoying online ads that you don’t even need to take the GMAT to get into Syracuse. It seems as if chapel hill may be trying to rattle its sword a bit in light of Wake’s new medical school here.

Doesn’t Northeastern U out of Boston have an MBA program uptown too? Ridiculous.

I agree. As an alum and taxpayer, I do not understand what this accomplishes other than putting us in our place. We are allegedly part of this same state university system. What exactly does this accomplish? Take the alumni angle out of this. As a NC taxpayer, this is an absolute waste of money. It is the state competing against itself. We already provide an excellent product. What a freaking waste! It is also bullshit.

5 Likes

But it’s a pretty sky blue shade of bullshit, so it’s all good.

UNC, could you also open the following programs at your University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Charlotte campus:
Nursing
Engineering
Architecture
Business
Criminal Justice
Political Science
Kinesiology
Etc. Etc.

I’m sure you can do a much better job than us. Thanks for your assistance you bunch of Jack Asses!

2 Likes

I notice UNC-CH hasn’t opened a remote campus in Pembroke, NC to help serve the poor and disadvantaged.

3 Likes

It’s funny how this got so quiet so quick. The next thing you know they will have already opened up a satellite campus in our front yard. I would like to know what action, if any, our University is taking to prevent this from happening.

Is this acceptable? I am curious to hear other people’s opinions.

I think we can point to doing an awful job over the last 20 years building up our MBA program to be at a level where only die hard alumni would object to this Chapel Hill proposal.

We invest in a Charlotte Uptown campus and then UNC @ Chapel Hill thinks they have the right to invade. If it’s truly about “the system” and not the college, I would think someone would tell Chapel Hill to butt out. We already have enough competition uptown.

I think the Charlotte Business Journal lays it out pretty well. They want to do a EMBA and Charlotte doesn’t have a top 20 MBA program. They seem to be rushing it too just to get it done before and serious push back.

I didn’t read the CBJ article, but another approach might be for the UNC System to invest in making the Charlotte program top 20.

2 Likes

That would have been necessary 20 years ago, it is too late now if the purpose behind the move is “Top 20” MBA.

The honest truth is the rankings matter. A friend of mine who used to work for a major player in the bond trading game was told they couldn’t promote him without a top 10 MBA even if he got his CFA (which he did)., because they need the credentials to recruit investors/clients.