Charlotte campus of Chapel Hill MBA coming?

3 Likes

See, was that so hard?

Maybe I should know this but how is this different from our current MBA degree program?

Business Journal reporting the Kenyan Flagler MBA satellite program going to the Legacy complex on South Tryon

I bet the UNC system wouldn’t let us open an information technology program in RTP. I hope the new chancellor has more backbone than the last one. Phil was a doormat.

I’m fairly ignorant to the situation but I will ask what exactly can they do about it even if they wanted to??

Bored Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

clt says the business community in Charlotte responds

We already have an executive MBA program in Charlotte uptown from Wake.

In a couple years it will be housed in the same state of the art facility as the new medical school.

This UNC Chapel Hill program is not needed.

USC’s Charlotte MBA program is located uptown as well. Ditto that of Northeastern U.

If it makes you feel any better alumni from other campuses are not happy about this either. Do you think some of the leaders in the banking industry are pulling some strings? Either way I don’t like it, and think a school that about lost its accreditation a few years ago over an academic scandal gets to move in on an established sister school only makes this smell worse.

Some years, decades even, the new Hickory campus that App is starting will go from being a building in another city to something more akin to ASU-H and eventually UNC-H and become its own self-governing university. At that point ASU needs to step away except in programs where each university is an equal in some sort of dual-university program.

I have been one of the most vocal supporters of this school. No longer thanks to our weak leadership. I am embarrassed to have my degree from here. Allowing UNC-CH to invade our city with an MBA and medical school is my final straw. For our leadership to sit back idle is a complete embarrassment.

I’ll return when we find some leadership and start giving a shit about this university. Until then, having any positive expectations or hope is a complete waste of time. We are simply a secondary school with no true ambition. We are a puppet with no local control. Not what I signed up for.

Someone, please tell me why I am wrong?

FWIW our chancellor isn’t happy about this.

We need to stop this in the legislature. The UNC system is run by chapel hill and it doesn’t matter what any of our leadership says or does. We need the legislature to step in.

Dead silence from our University. Perhaps standing up and speaking out would be a start. Be vocal. Stop waiting on legislature to do something they are not going to do. Quit being a door mat.

I get the anger, I do. I have it to. There is still chain of command and the fact that talking out publicly likely does nothing to stop this and does likely cost you your job.

2 Likes

The only thing we can do as a University and as supporters is to help our school become the BEST of all the programs in the city.

4 Likes

I think there is something missing inside of me. I could not care less where a damn MBA program from anybody is located.

Just not sure how it affects me.

3 Likes

It’s less about how it impacts you and more how it impacts the future of our programs. As the lone instate public school mba program we had a good path to landing professional MBA students. With chapel hill coming into our market it takes away potential students. On top of that is just another instance of the mothership Fing us and putting us in out place.

If they can do this what’s to stop them from systematically offering a variety of programs with the only purpose of getting their hooks into the money in Charlotte when the UNC system has a school here to support the community already. You can also throw in that it’s also a waste of tax and education dollars.

5 Likes

It impacts our university because instead of the up and coming business talent going to Charlotte for an MBA they will go with Chapel Hill. If we want our university to prosper we have to attract talented people that will raise our profile and potentially become financial supporters. If Chapel Hill wants to monopolize education in NC then it is going to be tough for us to grow and develop our own brand.

1 Like

Hootie, I think it’s bigger picture.

This is yet another suppression play by the mothership, and it does impact all of us. It lessens our degrees, the school’s role in the community, its prestige, its influence, and yes, even athletics.

Also, fuck those guys. In general.

2 Likes

clt says the solution is to open an IT a school in the triangle. We are already the largest in the state